Cream to rise again?

Kooperman

cream.jpgCream To Bring Back The Sunshine

Wednesday November 10, 2004 @ 03:30 PM

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

The lure of a full-scale reunion must be hard for classic rock bands to resist — countless bands who split up on the very worst of terms or suffered through the death of a key member have managed to find ways to launch lucrative reunion tours. So far, '60s rockers Cream have managed to pretty much steer clear of the reunion game (although they did play in 1993 when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame), but it looks like they'll be back on stage together in 2005.

For those too young to remember, Cream are the trio that featured celebrity guitarist Eric Clapton as well as drummer Ginger Baker and bass player Jack Bruce. Today, the band are best known for the opening guitar riff from their monster hit "Sunshine Of Your Love."

According to Billboard.com, Cream are set to play a week-long engagement at London's Royal Albert Hall — the same place that they played their final shows before calling it quits in 1968. It's not known if the band will stay together after that engagement — but depending on their appetite for quick cash, there's likely enough demand to keep the reformed band together for longer than the two years they were originally together in the '60s.

Cream only released three records in their career, but the band provided more than an ample launching pad for Clapton, who's gone on to become one of the most recognizable guitar players in rock history. Lately, Clapton has been indulging his Robert Johnson obsession, having released his Me And Mr. Johnson disc (full of Johnson covers) earlier this year. He'll follow that with a CD/DVD called Sessions For Robert J. on December 7.

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/11/1008.cfm

Hope they stick together long enough to record and play Providence again...

of course, I was like 3 the last time they came to town, so I missed that one :lol: but this time i hope to...ride a upon a steamer to the violence of the sun!

for some reason that line has been stuck in my head lately :psychofun:

that would be good, that would be very good, that would be incredible......lot of water and years under the bridge though.....just read an interview with drummer ginger baker (67 this year), who maintains that he has no interest in a resurrected cream...having said that..he apparently has financial problems, which does tend to change ones view of a situation, doesn`t it...looks like ginger and the boys may well be reading from his own songbook......

"Do What You Like"

(Ginger Baker)

Do right, use your head.

Everybody must be fed.

Get together, break your bread.

Yes, together, that's what I said.

Do what you like.

Don't fight, use your head.

It's all right every night.

Do what you like, that's what I said.

Everybody must be fed.

Do what you like.

Open your eyes.

Realize you're not dead.

Take a look at an open book.

Do what you like, that's what I said.

Do what you like. "

" Ginger Baker, like his ex-bandmates, has seen fit since the 1970s to keep the legacy of Cream at arm's length or further -- the trio's induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reportedly did little to change his feelings, and he is also said to be astonished at the emergence of Eric Clapton to mega-stardom during the 1990s. "

post-92-1100494261.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

• 1 month later...

cream.jpgEric Claptons ready for some fresh Cream.

Old Slow Hand revealed to BBC Radio 2 last week that he and his former mates in rock's first supergroup, singer-bassist Jack Bruce (news) and drummer Ginger Baker (news), are planning to reunite for four shows next May at London's Royal Albert Hall, the legendary venue where the power trio played its final gig in 1968.

There has been no other official comment since Clapton's remarks--reps for the musicians were not immediately reachable as most labels are on holiday.

Keep reading...

• 1 month later...

cream.jpgCream are to play their first UK shows since splitting up in 1968 with a four night stint at the Royal Albert Hall.

According to Billboard the band will play the venue on May 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Guitarist Eric Clapton, bass player Jack Bruce and drummer Ginger Baker last played Britain in November 1968 with two farewell shows at the Royal Albert Hall.

During their two years together Clapton, Bruce and Baker recorded three albums, Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire and notched up several hit singles including Strange Brew and Wrapping Paper.

The legendary trio last came together in 1993 for the band's induction in America's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Tickets for the concerts go on sale on the 31 January.

-Ananova-

clapton is 59 this year.....jack bruce is 62 and ginger baker is the grand old man at 68.....i hope that a lot of people don`t wind up being very disappointed..if they can pull it off..good on them...certainly an historic occasion....i would say that financial considerations are in the forefront here.....baker maintained in an interview last year that he had " absolutely no interest " in a cream reunion tour...he is/was rumoured to have severe financial problems.....eric clapton also stated in an interview that he was feeling " insecure " and that maintaining his lifestyle and overheads was a worry in todays economic climate......ya gotta feel for them don`t ya.....a great band though....innovators ahead of their time.....

post-92-1107148209.jpg

Edited by kiwibank