Bad Streak

HolyMoly

Three streakers ran through a North Spokane Denny's restaurant early Wednesday morning. But soon, the tricksters got tricked.

Police say the young men paraded naked inside the restaurant at about 5:00 AM. The streakers thought ahead before they stripped - and left a getaway car with their clothes inside, running just outside. However, someone saw their car running, and stole it.

"It's likely that they were in the Denny's when these guys were streaking. They shot out, grabbed their car, and took off," said Lt. Gil Moberly, from the Spokane Police Department.

Police say the three streakers tried to hide in a nearby car lot once they lost their ride. They waited naked in the crisp morning air, until officers showed up and gave them blankets. Police could have charged the streakers with indecent exposure, but officers thought they learned their lesson.

The streaker's blue 1988 Mazda 323 is still missing. It has Washington license plate number 844-RSA. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Check at 456-2233.

RealVideo story from KXLY

Hehe. I hope the kid gets back his car, though. Hell, if I was traveling up that way and happened upon that restaurant at that exact moment, I'd have been tempted to do that myself -- not steal the car but move it a few blocks away and just park it, hehe. Or better, just go outside, turn off the car, and lock the doors. They really should have had an accomplice behind the wheel ... ready to peel out when the three streakers quickly piled into the back seat. Oh, well ... live and learn.

BTW, Spokane, Washington has had a busy week, hehe. I looked for and found a similar story about this streaking in the Spokane Spokesman-Review newspaper (Thursday edition). But while I was on the site, saw this story as well:

Suspect in bank robbery punched out

Sara Leaming

Staff writer

A gunman expecting to get a fistful of cash during a robbery at a South Hill bank Tuesday got a fist in the face instead.

Customers waiting in line at the Bank of America, 2504 E. 29th, tackled the would-be robber as he attempted to hold up the bank Tuesday, Spokane police said.

"It was incredibly brave," Detective Brian Hamond said. But also incredibly dangerous.

Eric Lynn Heartburg, 43, allegedly walked into the bank with a handgun about 4 p.m. and demanded cash, police spokesman Dick Cottam said.

The customer standing behind him felt threatened, and punched Heartburg, Cottam said.

Heartburg and the customer then began wrestling with each other.

As the first customer struggled to subdue Heartburg, another customer -- an off-duty firefighter with the Spokane Fire Department -- ran to his assistance, pinning Heartburg to the ground, Hamond said.

During the altercation, other customers standing nearby kicked the weapon out of Heartburg's reach.

"The officers arrived while the scuffle was going on," Hamond said.

But there was little left to do. Heartburg was lying on the ground, with a bloodied nose and other hurts from the customers' attack.

"This happens very rarely," said Hamond, who was just happy nobody was seriously hurt in the scuffle, although the customer who delivered the first punch was complaining of sore ribs.

Heartburg, a registered sex offender in Spokane County, was taken to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries, Cottam said. He was to be taken from the hospital to Spokane County Jail for booking.

Heartburg is wanted on several warrants for his arrest in Washington and California, and has 12 convictions in Spokane.

Streaking was a big fad in the mid 70's. Is it coming back? It was kind of silly then, but funny!!

I'm due to take early retirement next year in August. And, I've thought about putting $400 away for that last day ... and paying 4 young people (2 men and 2 women) to streak across my workroom floor. It would be one of 2 final "gestures" of contempt toward my employer, hehe. The other gesture?

When people retire at my employer, the manager usually comes down and reads a stupid generic speech about how much the employee was appreciated and gives them a cheap "career pin" and an official letter of thanks. Well, I plan on setting my retirement date for August 18th, 2005 -- and plan on calling in sick on the 17th and 18th (grin). What can they do, hehe, fire me?

P.S. Actually, rainbowdemon, I don't think streaking was a fad that went away. I suspect it goes on all the time. But, when it comes time to choose which stories appear in a newspaper or on a broadcast, stories like that tend to end up being 86-ed ... unless they occur in a relatively small community like Spokane, Washington.

• 3 weeks later...