Being A Rock Star Is Evil (grin)...

HolyMoly

Here's a website that, with Biblical quotes and Almanac facts, proves that being a rock star is evil (snicker) and results in premature death. Unfortunately, this site omits the names of the thousands of rock performers who are "still alive" and "still sinning." The site proves the old axiom, "There are statistics and then there are damn lies."

http://www.av1611.org/rockdead.html

:unsure:

Wow.

I assumed that any site such as this was mainly done for the chuckles.

However, at the bottom there is a place for site visitors to vote on whether they 'choose life' or 'choose death'. Naturally I assumed that if I clicked 'I choose death', I'd recieve a page telling me to Rock on or something similar. Instead it was a sad page telling me not to reject JC.

Quite a find for the front page news links. ;)

To preface, I apologize to any Christian I may offend by the following post. I don't mean to offend anyone. However, when I see websites like that one, I'm very tempted to respond to them with the same arrogance the website emotes. Using one of my throwaway email addresses, I sent this to the webmaster:

I recently read your statistics on "dead rock stars" and noticed one glaring omission.  "Rock" as we know it wasn't a phenomenon until the 1950s.  Since there have been literally thousands of rock stars since then, one can only assume that the 321 stars you list are but a small fraction of them ... and that many of them lived to a ripe old age and died of natural causes or are still living (and still sinning).  Further, some of the causes of death you mention are not necessarily due to a sinful life.

I was baptised in the Presbyterian Church and, as a teenager, became involved in my local Methodist Church.  In fact, I was a fellowship leader in M.Y.F. (Methodist Youth Fellowship) and, with others under my charge, went from door to door to spread "the good news."  This continued until I graduated from high school, left home, and was introduced to a larger world of theological thought.  One such influence was from the late Alan Watts who spent 20 years as an Anglican priest before he (in his own words) "woke up from the dream."

In short, the King James version of the Bible is an "emasculated" gospel.  Jesus was sent here to enlighten mankind that we are all children of God, not that he himself was exclusive.  This was due to a mistranslation of the article "a" into "the" by King James' clerics.  For the specifics of how this occurred, I urge you to find and listen to Watts' lecture titled, "Jesus: His Religion (or the Religion _About_ Him)?" where he suggested that, quote, "Christianity institutionalized guilt as a virtue."  It's available on this page:

http://www.alanwatts.com/ac_lectures.html

as part of the "Myth And Religion" CD set.  The truth may set you free.  Then again, it may not.  But, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

P.S.  BTW, your site implies that accepting Jesus as a personal savior is an act of free will ... as if no outside force was implied.  I've found that belief rather silly for a long time.  I liken this supposition to the stereotypical "hillbilly shotgun wedding" scenario.  In such a wedding, the groom is not _forced_ to marry the bride.  In theory, he has free will to choose.  In practice, however, he knows that the bride's father is standing behind him with a shotgun ... and will blow his head off if he doesn't marry the bride.  Likewise, no one is _forced_ to become a Christian.  In theory, it's a matter of free will to choose.  In practice, however, the "heavenly father" is standing behind the potential convert, threatening "eternal damnation" if conversion doesn't take place ... and "eternal damnation" is one helluva "shotgun."

The God I believe in doesn't require worship to gain favor ... nor does he make threats, implied or otherwise.  His love is unconditional, which is as it should be between any father and his child.

Sincerely,

(HolyMoly)

I recently read your statistics on "dead rock stars" and noticed one glaring omission.  "Rock" as we know it wasn't a phenomenon until the 1950s.  Since there have been literally thousands of rock stars since then, one can only assume that the 321 stars you list are but a small fraction of them ... and that many of them lived to a ripe old age and died of natural causes or are still living (and still sinning). 

Let's hear it for 'the Killer'. Jerry Lee Lewis lives.

• 2 weeks later...

What a bunch of crap...if I knew cracking (hacking to most) I would decimate that website so fast. I was going to take cp's description as enough, but I decided to look at it anyways. Aside from learning that some great band members died from albums I have, the site pissed me off even more than I was by the description. It's a great reference, the best I've ever seen, but spare me the sermon. Grrr... :angry:

• 6 months later...
As a communist I don’t believe in heaven or the Bible but as a scientist I now believe in hell," said Dr. Azzacove. "Needless to say we were shocked to make such a discovery. But we know what we saw and we know what we heard. And we are absolutely convinced that we drilled through the gates of hell!"  Dr. Azzacove continued, ". . .the drill suddenly began to rotate wildly, indicating that we had reached a large empty pocket or cavern. Temperature sensors showed a dramatic increase in heat to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit."

We lowered a microphone, designed to detect the sounds of plate movements down the shaft. But instead of plate movements we heard a human voice screaming in pain! At first we thought the sound was coming from our own equipment."  "But when we made adjustments our worst suspicions were confirmed. The screams weren’t those of a single human, they were the screams of millions of humans!"

:rotfl:

dighell.ram

'hope i die before i get old'

whoops, too late. :P moving right along, i wonder how they account for someone like Keith Richards?

whoops, too late.  :P  moving right along, i wonder how they account for someone like Keith Richards?

good genes--but ive always suspected that he and mick might be vampires :lol: