Americans Flock to Canadian Immigration Site

DudeAsInCool

Americans flock to Canada's immigration Web site

Fri November 05, 2004 01:30 PM ET

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site has shot up six-fold as Americans flirt with the idea of abandoning their homeland after President George W. Bush's election win this week.

Read the full story here:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/printerFriendlyPo...&storyID=616225

post-86-1099693886.jpg

kia ora........i can tell you guys that statistics released in new zealand yesterday show a marked increase in the number of americans inquiring about moving down here........since the re-election of george.w.bush.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3087905a10,00.html

T O P S T O R Y

RELATED LINKS

» Have your say

» Subscribe to Archivestuff

Disillusioned Yanks eye NZ

06 November 2004

By ANN-MARIE JOHNSON

Inquiries from Americans wanting to move to New Zealand have "exploded" since George W Bush was re-elected president.

The Immigration Service's website had 10,300 hits from the United States the day after the election. Usually it gets 2500 hits a day.

And the phones of its US marketing directors in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland, Oregon, have been ringing nonstop since the election.

Marketing director Don Badman said there had been up to 300 telephone calls and emails a day.

"We've been doing this for 11 months and it's been building up to about six to eight calls a day, but from Thursday it's exploded. It really started picking up from 11pm the night of the election."

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that many Americans were inquiring about moving to New Zealand, Australia and Canada as a result of the election.

A Canadian website is reaching out to help weary liberal Americans, asking Canadians to marry someone from south of the border.

"Open your heart and your home. Marry an American. Legions of Canadians have already pledged to sacrifice their singlehood to save our southern neighbours from four more years of cowboy conservatism," jokes the site, set up by a Toronto humour magazine.

To convince Americans to come on up, the site mentions that Canada is a liberal utopia with universal health care and, in some provinces, gay marriage.

"We envision a movement where everyone wins: Freedom of expression and a politically convenient marriage with love and igloos for all."

post-86-1099694666.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

some people are really sad

True.

I'm already polishing my boxing gloves - I'm in this fight for the long run and don't intend on losing or leaving :bigsmile:

While I may agree with the underlying ideas, I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. The actual number of people interested in leaving is extremely small. It’s more a token gabby news headline than anything.

.........................the Jesus map was amusing though.

I'm not ready to give up on the U.S. yet.

A lot of the problem, I believe, will die off soon of old age. The rest will be vanquished by the younger generations in the game of politics.

It's just going to take a while.

Exception Yoda, though Yoda doesn't count because he's mentally deficient.........and I’m willing to bet he doesn't give two shits about Bush in reality.