Is the sound on vinyl records better than on CDs?

method77

what do you prefer?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. what do you prefer?

• CD
    • Vinyl

I was reading this article that explains in simple terms, the differences between analog and digital sound.

When I was at sound school, they told us that records can perform better while playing high waves. I tested that a few times and drums, for instance, sounded a lot better on a vinyl record.

Share your views and tell us what you prefer?

If only there was a way to download and write vinyls then I would never touch a cd again :bigsmile:

A friend of ours, who collects LP's, say it sounds better, but he is always bussy spraying fluids and so on.

I cannot tell you, I am growing def..... :(

That's hell for someone who loves music... :wha':

At the moment I can still hear but to hear clear (without non-existing background noices) I need a headphone. :groovin:

And subtile differences like our friend can hear, I do not hear.

Ouch, that sucks megabitch.

I'd have to answer that it depends on the music. Some stuff I think still sounds better on the record player.

I am so sorry to read that you are losing your hearing.......I can't even start to imagine a world without music or hearing laughter from children and grownups alike throughout the day. It would be very tough to know that all those beautiful sounds are there and I couldn't enjoy them. Sometimes we humans take the things that God has given us for granted.......touch, sight, hearing, taste and so on.

My thoughts are with you and I really hate that someday your hearing may be completely gone. Hang in there and be brave.

Edited by Cerebral_Assassin

Yes, thank you very much :angry:

This site (howstuf works) is so fascinating that I forgot about time and spent a lot of time on it, I should have used for doing what I have to do!

:blink:

But now I know how to pick a lock and learned a lot about my imune-system! I bookmarked it!

the difference between vinyl or cd is big

cd is much easyer to handle

with vinyl you have to hear much different other noises that you will not always hear

so i will vote for modern technics, we are living now and not 30 years ago.

:D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)

i have about 200 hunderd LP albums from all kind of music

but i play CD

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE

vinyl.... digital's too clinical

CD Music is very Clean Music i think

not Clinical on a perfect System

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :good job:

I think perfect vinyl on a superior system is better. The difference is not enough for me to mess with it. I am going with cd because of ease of use and flexibility. You can't play vinyl in the car for example. Well, you can I guess but you can't play vinyl very well in a $300 car going 85mph or more. :o

I regularly hear things that are so gently layered into the overall mix of songs on CD that I never heard on vinyl, even though I may have had the albums for many years and many listenings. It's extremely rare that I come across a CD that is inferior to the vinyl....the only one that comes to mind is one by It's A Beautful Day titled Choice Quality Stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mike, you may need to upgrade your friends.....or cap 'em. :)

in terms of surface damage such as scratching i find cd`s to be just as bad as vinyl, but i do believe the sound quality of a cd to be superior...and i find the quality of burned cds to be streets ahead of most shop - bought cds..(not that i`ve done that in a while). my wife collette has a lot of old 78 rpm vinyls that have just been left to her...we are going to try and transfer them to cd one day soon..that should be fun.....

capping is better than an upgrade anyday red........simple, clean, effective, you don`t have to format anything and they don`t answer back (except to say, " aarrrrggghhhh you bastard, you got me!! ")

Edited by kiwibank

I kinda enjoy those little pops and cracks and the occasional getting stuck, getting stuck, getting stuck...........lol
:lol:
And subtile differences like our friend can hear, I do not hear.

i still have most of my hearing somehow (it's my sight that's going fast) and i don't hear those subtle difs either, megabitch.

I also anjoy an occasional scratch

OK, c'mere. wait, you were talking about sound quality, duhhhh. :lol: