What ever happened to Mark Chesnutt?

Shawn

It's the question that rang around in my head for a few days this week. Where did Mark Chesnut, arguably one of the biggest names in country music a decade ago, disappear to?

I was going through my music collection when I realized I had nary a song from the man. In 1992-93, he was the biggest explanation of my continued support in country music. As country stars did more and more to pass for pop, here was a guy that sounded like he escaped from the 1960's. However, media forms expire and are lost and here I was without a single example of his work.

After fixing that most handily, I began to reflect on the fact that all of the main songs were from that period. The man had just hung up his hat and quit.

or not

Apparently the man has continued performing and releasing records in the exact same fashion the entire time. Following a "Greatest Hits" in 96, he has proceeded to release an addition 3 albums in the last 5 years.

The truth? I'm a useless fan. While I still try to support most of my favs, apparently Chesnutt was put aside like a black and white tv. (I swear, it had nothing to do with him performing at Dubya's inauguration to Governor, nor the latter one to President. The man performed at the Republican Convention ffs!) I'm not really sure how I managed to so neatly forget his music, but on the bright side I now have a decade's worth of "new" material to check out.

:good job:

Apparently, he's still performing according to his website http://www.markchesnutt.com/itinerary.htm but it seems country music has tried to bypass his traditional sound yet Alan Jackson is still doing well. Who knows...

• 6 months later...