Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company

DudeAsInCool

Eric's Quick Picks - Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company

Posted by Eric Olsen on August 06, 2004 12:08 PM

Received wisdom says that Ray Charles, who died in June at 73, did his greatest work between the mid-'50s and mid-'60s, and while this is undoubtedly true, it is also wrong to dismiss the final 40 years of Ray's career out of hand.

Ironically, one of Charles's best albums of the last four decades or so is the posthumous Genius Loves Company, his duets release onConcord Records coming out August 31.

Ray's voice wavers a bit from time to time and some of the high notes evade his grasp, but the conviviality of the collaborations bring out a spark in Ray that has often been buried under sugary arrangements in his later period. "Here We Go Again" with nubile but 100% simpatico Norah Jones is a satisfying country/Southern soul beat ballad that drips with romantic resignation. "Sweet Potato Pie" is bright neo-soul with James Taylor straight out of JT-era Taylor or a Boz Scaggs LP of the time.

A smooth piano and orchestra setting is perfect for Ray and smoky songstress Diana Krall on the standard "You Don't Know Me," and "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" with Elton John works surprisingly well, reminding any who have forgotten how souful Sir Elton is despite a somewhat lugubrious arrangement.

"Fever" with Natalie Cole stalks impressively in a slightly quicker jazz combo arrangement than the original Peggy Lee classic, Bonnie Raitt's coiled slide and drambuie vocal punctuates "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?"

Strings swirl cinematically around septuagenarians Willie Nelson and Ray on Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year," and their superannuation lends the song real weight. When Ray sings "The days grow short/I'm in the autumn of my years" you can't help but catch your breath, and with BB on "Sinner's Prayer" two of the greatest bluesmen of all time do themselves proud: there is nothing perfunctory about the performances when BB's Lucille and Ray's piano trade solos. Gladys Knight, Johnny Mathis and Van Morrison contribute notably as well. I am gratified to my boots that Ray ended his career in such mighty style.

Bill Cosby will host a Ray Charles tribute concert Sept. 29 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel with Michael McDonald, James Ingram, Gerald Levert and Angie Stone thus far signed on to raise money for the $15 million Morehouse College Center for the Arts in Atlanta. Brother Ray gave the black liberal arts college $2 million to help fund the complex, which will contain a performance space in his name.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/08/06/120800.php

post-74-1093967903.jpg

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (Liberty)

UK release date: 30 August 2004

When a host of legendary musicians and contemporary talents combine to make an album under the title Genius Loves Company, you know it is something rare and perhaps exceptional in the modern music scene. Ray Charles' final song for this album was recorded in March 2004, he died on 10 June. This posthumous record was Charles' last studio album and it can be viewed as fine tribute of an indelible and highly revered man.

Ray Charles was born impoverished and black in the segregated south of the USA on September 23 1930. He lost his sight in early childhood but still learnt to nurture his talent for music and composition.

He became a mentor for a young Quincy Jones, in 1948 he formed McSon Trio, the very first group of African-American musicians to have a sponsored television programme in the North-West of America and he won 12 Grammy awards over his lengthy career. His most famous songs include Georgia On My Mind, Born To Lose, and Hit The Road Jack.

Genius Loves Company is a collection of songs recorded with touching candidness and strong emotions. Perhaps the most effective track on the album is a moving take on the Carole Kingsong, Hey Girl with Michael McDonald, which is so achingly delicate and passionate.

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - with the original singer,Elton John - delivers similar heartfelt emotions and a moving tone. For once, Elton sings in key, you can unequivocally hear and feel the gusto in his voice, while Ray Charles occasionally struggles and sounds frail but his vehemence is still apparent.

Fellow southern American hero B.B. King plays 'his thing' on Sinner's Prayer, a slender and enthusiastic blues number that recalls the sound of the 'olde south'; Stevie Wonder's Heaven Help Us All with Gladys Knight is delicate and well-polished, while Crazy Love with Van Morrison is a beautiful, soulful gospel track.

Here We Go Again with Norah Jones shows you just how powerful a singer she is and James Taylor's own penned, Sweet Potato Pie is a typically smart and jazzy little tune. The much played Over The Rainbow with Johnny Mathis is a surprisingly poignant attempt which sees Charles competently hitting a few high notes.

Country star, Willie Nelson pops along to give a very grand performance on It Was A Very Good Year and Bonnie Raitt joins Charles on a clean version of Do I Ever Cross Your Mind. Fever withNatalie Cole retains the groovy feeling of the original version and You Don't Know Me with Diana Krall shows that Charles can still sing with soul and strength.

Genius Loves Company has a smooth and well-nurtured feel with every note gaining more resonance, and every moment accounted for. To know Ray Charles was making music during ill-health, and to deliver this finely-crafted and delicious collection is a remarkable accomplishment and great exploration of his unique talents.

- Neil Daniels

TRACK LISTING:

1. Here We Go Again (feat Norah Jones)

2. Sweet Potato Pie (feat James Taylor)

3. You Don't Know Me (feat Elvis Costello)

4. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (feat Elton John) 6. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (feat Bonnie Raitt)

7. It Was A Very Good Year (feat Willie Nelson)

8. Hey Girl (feat Michael McDonald)

9. Sinner's Prayer (feat BB King)

10. Heaven Help Us All (feat Gladys Knight)

11. Somewhere Over The Rainbow (feat Johnny Mathis)

12. Crazy Love (feat Van Morrison)

http://www.musicomh.com/albums2/ray-charles.htm