Headbanger's Ball

Lord_of_the_Dense

2/4/06

Tonight's Guest - Exodus

Cradle of Filth - "From the Cradle to Enslave" - Peace Through Superior Firepower(DVD) - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

Exodus - "Objection Overruled" - Impact is Imminent - Capitol

Good to see the old school bands coming back. Groups like this one and Nuclear Assault are just a few. Was never really a fan of Exodus or Steve Souza's singing. I have to laugh everytime I hear "Toxic Waltz." This song wasn't too bad. Might have enjoyed it at its time. Lotsa guitar solowork at the end.

Flyleaf - "I'm So Sick" - Flyleaf - Octone

Been hearing this band like crazy on local radio. Think they also played locally recently. Lead singer is a HOT female! She also has a strong voice. While another female singer is a welcome addition to the metal world, the song is average at best. Will need to hear more to properly place this new act. Check out the video on the website.

A Life Once Lost - "Rehashed" - Hunter - Ferret

See review 12/17/05

Bleeding Through - "Kill to Believe" - The Truth - Trustkill

See review 1/21/06

Exodus in the studio. The new album is called Shovel Headed Kill Machine. Paul Bostaph, who is joined by original member Gary Holt, is the (new) drummer for the album. Originally with Forbidden, he also was with Testament and finally Slayer for several albums. The band was asked how they felt about Kirk Hammett leaving the band when he did and how they feel now. At the time they threw a party. Nowadays, they still like him.

Exodus - "Now Thy Death Day Come" - Shovel Headed Kill Machine - Nuclear Blast

Great opening. Blazing fast song with some nice "Heavenly Angels" eye-candy. Great bass solo at the song mid-point and guitar solo to follow. Not 100% sure if it's Souza once again on vocals, but this is possibly the best sound from Exodus I have heard. Song of the week. (Edit - did website checkup. Turns out singer is new guy Rob Dukes. This may be the lineup that lets me actually enjoy Exodus completely. Bonus surprise - The other guitarist is Lee Altus, from Heathen fame...a band I've enjoyed for 20 years now. With all this talent, I can now see why this song, and possibly album, rocks. :good job:

Fireball Ministry – “Sundown” - Their Rock is Not Our Rock – Liquor and Poker

See review 12/17/05

Slipknot - "Before I Forget" - Vol. 3 - The Subliminal Verses - Roadrunner

See review 6/18/05

Disturbed - "Just Stop" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

See review 1/21/06

Hoods - "The King is Dead" - The King is Dead - Eulogy

New Hardcore from da "hoods." Since this reeks of Hatebreed, I think I will have to pass on this one. Luckily it was like 2 minutes long. Check out the song on the website. Worst song of the week. thumbsdown

System of a Down - "Spiders" - System of a Down - American

See review 10/8/05

The Black Dahlia Murder – "Miasma" - Miasma - Metal Blade

Great intro and insane drumming. The vocals could be a little clearer and less psycho. This song is actually pretty good, musically. Check out the video on Mtv2.com under Shows - Headbangers Ball - Videos.

Stretch Armstrong - "The Sound of Names Dropping" - Free at Last - EastWest/WPO

See review 1/21/06

Chimaira - "Nothing Remains" - Chimaira - Roadrunner

See review 9/24/05

Bloodsimple - "Falling Backwards" - Bloodsimple - Reprise/Bullygoat

See review 1/21/06

Dio - "Holy Diver" - Holy Diver - Warner Brothers.

CLASSIC!! Love this guy. And the video too. Dio kicking ass and taking names with a sword. Too bad they edited the crap out of the song. Highly recommend this album to any metal fan.

Napalm Death - "Silence is Deafening" - The Code is Red...Long Live the Code - Century Media

See review 9/24/05

Il Nino - "What You Deserve" - One Nation Underground - Roadrunner

See review 10/15/05

You can view the video here:

QuickTime (high) 15.7 MB

QuickTime (med) 7.06 MB

QuickTime (low) 2.59 MB

Windows Media Video (high)

Windows Media Video (med)

Windows Media Video (low)

Next week's guest: Mastodon!

2/11/06

Tonight's guest: Mastodon

Diecast - "These Days" - Tearing Down Your Blue Skies - Century Media

Great scream intro. Good song thus far. Nice to see a drummer with a traditional grip now and then. Looks like magic and a bit odd when playing metal.

Sevendust – “Ugly” – Next – Winedark

See review 12/17/05

Five.Bolt.Main - "The Gift" - Venting - Rock Ridge

Sounds a bit like Flaw in the beginning. Somewhat unique sounding voice. Decent song.

Guns N'Roses - "It's So Easy" - Guns and Roses Live Era '87-'93 - Geffen

Now this was unexpected. Great song off the unofficial first album, Appetite for Destruction. Will this band (or man) ever put out another album? Wonder why the site seems so dead?

Early Man - "Death is the Answer to My Prayers" - Closing In - Matador

Geedy Lee/Ozzy Osbourne clone? Guess that would explain the band name. This has got a total Sabbath this going. I can hear "Iron Man" in this one. Pretty decent song. Will have to hear more of this group.

Hatebreed - "I Will Be Heard" - Perseverance - Universal

Oh Yay. My favorite guy and his band. DOn't know if this is new or not. DOn't really care. Band still blows. Possible automatic worst song of the week. Ah hell. They win. thumbsdown

Mastodon - "Seabeast" - Leviathan - Relapse

A somewhat lighter offering from these guys. Almost has a touch of Voivod in it. Nice concept video. Sounds like an overall great album. Great guitar finish. Website is currently being upgraded.

Static-X - "Dirthouse" - Start A War - Warner Bros.

See review 1/28/06

Bullet for My Valentine – “Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow (What can I Do?)" – Hand of Blood – Trustkill

Good beginning. Aside from the occasional whiney vocals, this sounds to be a pretty decent new band. Geat guitarwork. Great drumming.

Catch the video here:

56k | Broadband (Real Player)

56k | Broadband (Windows Media)

Demon Hunter - "Undying" - The Triptych - Solid State

Thought I had reviewed this band before. Guess not. A decent cut. Most of the song is shouted, but the music is alright, Interesting break just past the mid-point of the track. I also have to comment on the drummer. Now that is one big boy. Seems to handle the double bass pretty well though. Seems they are also a Christian band. Demon Hunter indeed!

Pillar - "Frontline" - Where Do We Go From Here - Flicker

Lotta new artists tonight. Another worthwhile band. Good vocal harmonies. A bit like Il Nino. Nice jazzy solo work at the mid-point. And then that breaks into a couple hearty screams which lead back into the chorus and it works well.

Megadeth - "Symphony of Destruction" - Countdown to Extinction - Capitol

Kick ass song. Awesome album. I remember blasting this song while in the barracks in Germany. I miss this lineup with Marty and Nick.

Sepultura - "Refuse/Resist" - Live in Sao Paolo - SPV America

See review 1/21/06

Agents of Man - "Without a Trace" - Count Your Blessings - Century Media

Is that Sinead O"Connor on bass? This song bites. Hollerama. With a Tre Ghey chorus. Thanks to the Hatebreed video, they will be saved from being the worst video of the week. I'll give them credit for trying to be angry, but nothing else is new here.

Ringworm“Justice Replaced By Revenge” Justice Replaced By Revenge – Victory

See review 12/17/05

Bury Your Dead - "Magnolia" - Cover Your Tracks - Victory

See review 1/28/06

Manowar - "Blow Your Speakers" - Fighting the World - Atco

OMFG. :rotfl:

I Wrote A Letter To The MTV

What’s Goin On Now Don’t Ya Care About Me

Sent The Same Letter To The Radio

But My Party Went Dead Like A Shot In The Head

We All Like It

Rock And Roll

We All Want It

On Your Show

Play It Loud Don’t Play It Low

Blow Your Speakers With Rock And Roll

Not only did I despise the song when it came out, the video also drove me mad. The simplistic music and lyrics just didn't cut it. An album or so later, I was hooked on the band. This song still sucks for me though. What a crazy blast from the past.

DEATH TO FALSE METAL!

Most Precious Blood“Shark Ethic”Merciless – Trustkill

See review 12-17-05

God Forbid - "The End of the World" - IV: The Constitution of Treason - Century Media

See review 11/19/05

2/18/06

Tonight's Guest: In Flames

Sworn Enemy - "Scared of the Unknown" - The Beginning Of The End - Abacus

Good intro buildup. Vocals are hardcore-screamer-average. Good drumming. Musical elements of Slayer. I have not been one for the hardcore genre, but this one may happen to be an exception. For me, the music is first. The singing is tolerable enough to enjoy the song. You can listen to the song on the website.

Stretch Armstrong - "The Sound of Names Dropping" - Free at Last - EastWest/WPO

See review 1/21/06

In Flames in the studio. Come Clarity is the new CD. It has a little bit of all elements of In Flames. The were looking to make it more agressive, more uptempo. Touring with Slayer is their favorite thing to do. They were asked how they find inspiration musically and lyrically. The lead singer stated that he looks at the world around him. Being a fucked up place, he's easily inspired by it. They are currently on tour with Zao, DevilDriver and Trivium.

10 Years - "Wasteland" - The Autumn Effect - Universal/Republic

See review 9/24/05

New video. Seems they released a second video for their first single. This one seems to have a humanitarian theme about it. There is a final thought dealing with Amnesty International at the end of the video.

As I Lay Dying - "The Darkest Nights" - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

An alright offering from these guys, Interesting Arabian theme for the video. BaCking vocals and keyboards kinda take away from the song. Average at best.

Mtv2 is beginning to slack again on the band info for each video. Seems I will have my work cut out for me this week. I have no idea what this next one is. Not that it's any major loss. This is worse than the last song. Contender for worst song of the week. (Might have been Himsa - "Sleazevil")

In Flames - "Take This Life" - Come Clarity - Ferret

Great killer opening. I have been waiting to hear this one for a while now. LOve the chorus. Vocally and musically. This song is great, Can't wait to hear more. You can listen to the song on the media player on the site. It's at the bottom of the page. There are a total of 6 songs you can listen to. Another good one is "Cloud Connected." Song of the week. :headbang:

See review 1/21/06

Devil Driver - "End of the Line" - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand - Roadrunner

Swore I reviewed this one recently. Live peformance video, Good start to the song, Mediocre singing (screaming). Check out the video in the Media section of the website.

Oh well, this explains it. There is a Cribs special on tonight. Extreme Sports Edition. (Tony Hawk's place was cool.)

Fucking Mtv2 bastards... thumbsdown

Next week's guest: God Forbid

• 2 weeks later...

2/25/06

Tonight’s Guest: God Forbid

Disturbed - "Just Stop" - Ten Thousand Fists – Reprise

See review 1/21/06

Bullet for My Valentine“Hand of Blood’Hand of Blood – Trustkill

See review 12/17/05

Slipknot – “Wait and Bleed” – Slipknot – Roadrunner

See review 8/21/04

The Black Dahlia Murder – "Miasma" - Miasma - Metal Blade

See review 2/4/06

Children of Bodom “In Your Face”Are You Dead Yet? - Spinefarm

See review 12/17/05

God Forbid – “To the Fallen Hero” - IV: The Constitution of Treason - Century Media

Really enjoy this new one. Great guitarwork and singing. The chorus is a bit sappy, but I enjoy the overall heaviness of the song. Nice patriotic theme. Possibly the best I've heard from these guys yet. Pick of the week. :good job:

See review 2/4/06

See review 2/18/06

Fireball Ministry – “Sundown” - Their Rock is Not Our Rock – Liquor and Poker

See review 12/17/05

See review 2/11/06

AC/DC – “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” – AC/DC Live: Collector’s Edition - A Vision Entertainment/EastWest/Atlantic

A band that for the most part I enjoy. I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore fan, but I do enjoy several of their albums. I wouldn’t pass up free tickets to see them. Everyone knows this is a classic song of theirs. If you like AC/DC, you like this song. Plain and simple. I’m guessing this video was released before. Possibly only as VHS. Great song live and nice footage to accompany it.

Flyleaf - "I'm So Sick" - Flyleaf - Octone

See review 2/4/06

See review 2/11/06

The 69 Eyes – “Lost Boys” – Devils – Virgin/EMI

See review 1/7/06

A Life Once Lost - "Rehashed" - Hunter - Ferret

See review 12/17/05

See review 2/11/06

Strapping Young Lad - "Zen" - Alien - Century Media

See review 1/28/06

See review 1/21/06

Behemoth - "Slaves Shall Serve" - Demigod - Century Media

See review 1/28/06

3/4/06

Tonight's Guest - Sworn Enemy

Trivium - "Dying in Your Arms" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

Another great track off a great album. Live footage this time around. More searing solos showcase this softer side of Trivium. Probably the most commercial track on the album.

Shadows Fall - "Enlightened by the Cold" - The War Within - Century Media

See review 1/7/06

Sworn Enemy in the studio - The Beginning of the End is the latest CD. The new album shows a more mature band with a new style and more experience. Just toured with Anthrax. Going on the road with Six Feet Under.

Atreyu - "Her Portrait in Black" - Underworld: Evolution Soundtrack - Victory

Not a big Atreyu fan, So I don't have high hopes for this one. Now I know why. The drummer singing. And that horrid eye makeup. Semi-decent rhythm. Terrible solo.

Suicidal Tendencies - "Possessed to Skate" - Join the Army - Caroline

LMAO. One of the worst songs ever done by ST, IMO. They got much better later on. Funny ass video.

Demiricous - "Vagrant Idol" - One, (Hellbound) - Metal Blade

Been wondering about this band. Seen them advertised a ton of times. Typical opening. Nothing stellar. Cool mid-break. Vocals have elements that sound like Morbid Angel. Good solo.

Bury Your Dead - "Magnolia" - Cover Your Tracks - Victory

See review 1/28/06

See review 2/18/06

See review 1/28/06

Norma Jean - Liarsenic: Creating a Universe of Discourse - O' God, The Aftermath - Solid State

Wow. That title hit it right on the money. What a waste of airtime. Sorry guys. your noisefest was not impressive. Nothing redeeming here. Worst song of the week. thumbsdown

Ringworm“Justice Replaced By Revenge” Justice Replaced By Revenge – Victory

See review 12/17/05

Tom Araya on the phone. Unholy Alliance Tour in June. Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Mastodon and Thine Eyes Bleed on the bill. The new album, Devastatingly Grim is hoped to be released by the time the tour starts in June. It will be the first time that Rick Rubin and Dave Lombardo have been back together since 1990's Seasons in the Abyss.

Slayer - "Criminally Insane" - Still Reigning DVD - Universal

See review 7/9/05

hear-n-aid_stars.jpg

Hear 'N Aid - "We're Stars" - Stars- Mercury

Ronnie Dio. Rob Halford. Kevin DuBrow. Don Dokken. Ted Nugent. Vivian Campbell. Geoff Tate. Neil Schon. Blackie Lawless. Vince Neil.

They're stars. I think I vaguely recall this project. I was in the beginning of high school at the time. Not sure if my metal roots were completely sewn (Think I was still digging my first Elton John cassette). I'm pretty certain I had not seen the video before. I know that I'd much rather hear this than "We Are the World." Not a bad track, although Mtv2 edited it for time. I understand there was like 4-5 minutes of solo work from about 10 guitarists. I couldn't find the song, but sites like Amazon show the album for like 33 bucks. Yikes. As shown in the image above, some of these guys look scary. Song of the week. :good job:

Diecast - "These Days" - Tearing Down Your Blue Skies - Century Media

See review 2/11/06

Burst - "Where the Wave Broke" - Origo - Relapse

New band for me. Decent track until the screaming started. Nice jazzy riff. Does not play well with screaming. Almost made the worst song of the week.

See review 2/11/06

Overkill - "In Union We Stand" - Taking Over - Atlantic/Megaforce

The song that started it all for me. Overkill have kicked ass from day one. I still have to get a couple of their latest albums, but they've not let me down yet. I belive that only the singer and bassist are left of the original lineup.

See review 2/11/06

HIMSA - "Sleezevil" - Hail Horror - Prosthetic

An alright song. Saw the video 2 weeks ago. Kinda corny. Nice chicks. Give it a listen.

Next Week's Guest - As I Lay Dying

3/11/06

Tonight's guest : As I Lay Dying

See review 2/11/06

See review 12-17-05

As I Lay Dying in the studio. Shadows are Security is the name of the new album. They are currently on the Taste of Chaos tour, which includes The Deftones. The singer did the producing on the album.

Rob Zombie - "Foxy Foxy" - Educated Horses - Geffen

About time this dude released a new album. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT BLONDE HAIR?? He looks like Chad Kroeger! Major band changes too. For some reason this reminds me of Zodiac Mindwarp. Also the guitarist looks like Peter Stormare in the latest Volkswagon ad. Oh wow, I checked the myspace on it. It's John5 from Marilyn Manson. I wonder if this is permanent? Wouldn't surprise me as MM has been a revolving door as of late. This song is so-so at best. Not the greatest Mr. Zombie could release. I hope there is hope for the rest of the album.

LIfe of Agony - "Through and Through" - River Runs Red - Roadrunner

I think this was the first song that I got into this band. Overall, a great album. Haven't kept up with them since this first album and just last year they released a new album after several years on hiatus.

Cradle of Filth - "From the Cradle to Enslave" - Peace Through Superior Firepower(DVD) - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

Unearth - "Endless" - The Oncoming Storm - Metal Blade

See review 7/23/05

See review 2/18/06

See review 1/21/06

Lacuna Coil – "Our Truth" - Karmacode - Century Media

Decent initial single from the new album. Christina is looking hot as ever. Need to hear more on this one. Will most likely be hearing it in heavy rotation on local radio. You can hear the song on the main website within the "Latest News" section.

Disturbed - "Just Stop" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

See review 1/21/06

3 - "Alien Angel" - Wake Pig - Metal Blade

Now here's something different. Opening appeared to have a slight Primus sound to it. Additional percussionist and a singer/guitarist that sounds a bit like Coheed and Cambria and plays his instrument almost like a banjo. Wow. Nice to hear something unlike the rest. Granted, it's not the heaviest of songs, but it's cool to hear. Check it out. Also, where I found the song, you can find what appears to be 400+ free downloads here.

1349 - "Sculptor of Flesh" - Hellfire - Candlelight USA

Holy Shit! Norwegian Black Metal. Venom, eat your heart out (maybe they did already). This is some frantic loud-ass shit (What's with all the number-bands as of late?). Creepy video with lotsa imagery and band members complete with makeup. Not too bad. If this is your poison, check them out.

See review 12-17-05

See review 2/11/06

Agents of Man - "Without a Trace" - Count Your Blessings - Century Media

See review 2/11/06

Killswitch Engage - "A Bid Farewell" - {Set this} World Ablaze (DVD) - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

Next week's guest - Children of Bodom

• 2 weeks later...

3/25/06

Tonight's Guest: The Bled

Remembering Never - "Con Artist" - God Save Us - Ferret

Yay. Hardcore starts it off. This is boring and I'm tired tonight.

See review 12/17/05

The Bled in the studio. Found in the Flood is the new album. They are on thier first ever tour.

Atreyu - "Ex's and Oh's" - A Death Grip on Yesterday - Victory

Another track from one of my not-so-favorite bands. Bad start. Whiney vocals and average rhythm. Sounds like the drummer is handling the bridge vocals. Dunno. This band just cannot cut it for me.

See review 2/18/06

See review 2/11/06

The Bled - "The Last American Cowboy" - Found in the Flood - Vagrant

Worse than the starter song. This may be the first time a guest gets the worst song of the week. Prolly the best part of the video was the DeLorean. OK, it gets better, but nothing wonderful here. Much better than Atreyu and the starter.

See review 2/11/06

Hatebreed - "To the Threshold" - Headbangers Ball - The Revenge - Roadrunner

Oh hell no. Worst song of the week. Fuck you, Jamey. I can't believe as part of the video, it shows a clip of him hosting Headbanger's Ball. what an ego trip. :thumbsdown:

See review 2/19/06

Hopesfall - "Breathe from Coma" - A Types - Trustkill

Might have heard this band before. Maybe only through advertising. More of a rock sound here. Radio-worthy from the start. It's ok, but not for the program.

Megadeth - "Foreclosure of a Dream" - Countdown to Extinction - Capitol

Great song. Great message too. I believe this song is in reference to what bassist Dave Ellefson's family members once went through, the foreclosure of their home. The best (and longest lasting) lineup of Megadeth.

See review 1/28/06

See review 2/4/06

If Hope Dies - "Anthem for the Unemployable - Life in Ruin - Metal Blade

More metalcore madness. Meh.

The Sword - "Winter's Wolves" - Age of Winters - Kemado

Well this is different.Sabbathy sound. Witha touch of Blue Cheer. Totally hear "Children of the Grave" in this one. Decent song.

You can hear the song on the main website within the "Latest News" section. See review 3/1//06.

Next week's guest - Lacuna Coil

• 3 weeks later...

4/1/06

Tonight's Guest: Lacuna Coil

Man, Mtv2 got lame tonight with the April Fool's banners.

Godsmack - "Speak" - IV - Republic/Universal

Great first single from the new album. First time I've seen Sully playing a guitar. Good sound and bad-ass drumming by Shannon Larkin (ex-Wrathchild America/Ugly Kid Joe). Check it out.

See review 2/11/06

Lacuna Coil in the studio - Karmacode will be released on 4/4. They are currently on tour with Rob Zombie and on the main stage of Ozzfest.

Cannibal Corpse - "Make Them Suffer" - Kill - Metal Blade

And this is the song to make them suffer. Fast and heavy as ever; another great offering from CC.

D.R.I. - "Suit and Tie Guy" - Four of a Kind - Metal Blade

Holy Hell. Now this is old. Not sure if I ever got into these guys. But I sure do recall their little emblem guy in the circle. I think this was metal you skated to. Not sure. Not a bad track. Reminds me of a comical Anthrax.

Cryptopsy - "The Pestilence that Walketh in the Darkness" - Once Was Not - Century Media

Hmm. This almost classifies as straight noise. Only slight moments of rhythm and melody. The singer's voice could be better. I actually think Cannibal Corpse sounds much better than this.

Burst - "Where the Wave Broke" - Origo - Relapse

See review 3/4/06

You can hear the song on the main website within the "Latest News" section. See review 3/1//06.

Hurt - "Rapture" - Volume 1 - Capital

Trippy video. I can hear so many elements of currentand past rock/metal bands. This is actually a pretty good song. Hard to classify. I hear Tool and Shinedown. A bit of Days of the New and Candlebox. Wow.

See review 3/25/06 :thefinger07:

Obituary - "Insane" - Frozen in Time - Roadrunner

See review 8/1/05

See review 3/4/06

Queensryche - "Eyes of a Stranger" - Operation: Mindcrime - EMI

New album 4/4! I so hope it's as good as the first. The new video for "I'm American" is iffy. This video kicks ass. This was a perfect way to end O:M.

F5- "Dissidence" - A Drug For All Seasons - JVC / Cleopatra / Mascot

Feel like I've encountered this band someplace alraeady. A decent cut. Good rhythm. Will need to hear more. Oh yeah! It's David Ellefson's (ex-Megadeth) new band. Duh!

The Red Chord - "Blue Line Cretin" - Clients - Metal Blade Records

Wow. Shitty song AND video. OK, maybe the video is a bit funny, in a slapstick way. Aside from defaulting with giving Hatebreed the worst song of the week, I think these guys take the cake.

Despised Icon - "The Sunset Will Never Charm Us" - The Healing Process - Century Media

This band will never charm me. Dual scream fest. I think I will call this a copycat band. Nothing about this is new. Or impressive. This is almost worse than the last video. I think they're letting Century Media's catalogue stay open.

See review 3/4/06

Helloween - "I Want Out" - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II - Noise

See review 10/8/05

Norma Jean - Liarsenic: Creating a Universe of Discourse - O' God, The Aftermath - Solid State

See review 3/4/06

HIMSA - "Sleezevil" - Hail Horror - Prosthetic

See review 3/4/06

4/8/06

Tonight: Headbanger's Ball: The Revenge Special

See review 3/25/06 :mad:

Slipknot - "Before I Forget" - Vol. 3 - The Subliminal Verses - Roadrunner

See review 6/18/05.

Tonight's guests: Artists from Headbanger's Ball: The Revenge (Avail. 4/11/06)- The CD has two discs and 38 bands. Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage, Chris from Lamb of God, Tim from Bloodsimple, and Matt from Bullet for My Valentine. Lamb of God's track is a live version of "Now You've Got Something To Die For." Both Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage have been included on all three Headbanger's Ball CDs. "Sell Me Out" is the song from Bloodsimple on the album. (This reviewer does not care for the song.). Lamb of God should be releasing a new album around August or September. They will also be on the Unholy Alliance tour with Slayer before that.

Lamb of God - "Now You've Got Something To Die For" - Ashes of the Wake - Epic

See review 6/18/05

Iron Maiden - "The Trooper" - Piece Of Mind - EMI

My first Iron Maiden review for the thread! Not much can be said other than this is one of the premier godfather's of metal music. "The Trooper" is one of the great singles that made this band so awesome to hear. I saw them on their Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour in '88. They were fantasic. I think L.A. Guns opened for them. With the possible exception of the albums that were sung by Blaze Bayley (ex-Wolfsbane), I have pretty much enjoyed every single Iron Maiden album. This video is a great mix of live performance with a comedic rendition of cowboys and indians.

MuDvAyNe – “Forget to Remember” – Lost and Found – Epic/Treadstone

See review 12/17/05. Check out the song on the website.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Burn it Down" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

See review 8/1/05

Killswitch Engage - "A Bid Farewell" - {Set this} World Ablaze (DVD) - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

10 Years - "Wasteland" - The Autumn Effect - Universal/Republic

See review 9/24/05

Bullet for My Valentine – “Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow (What can I Do?)" – Hand of Blood – Trustkill

See review 2/11/06

Catch the video here:

See review 1/21/06

See the video here:

Windows Media - Low | Med | High

Quicktime - Stream

God Forbid - "The End of the World" - IV: The Constitution of Treason - Century Media

See review 11/19/05

It Dies Today - "Severed Ties Yield Severed Heads" - The Caitiff Choir - Trustkill

See review 10/8/05

Throwdown - "Burn" - Vendetta - Trustkill

see review 7/23.

See review 1/21/06

See review 2/18/06

As I Lay Dying“Through Struggle” - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

See review 12/17/05

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

Next week: Godsmack

4/15/06

As much as I would have liked to review this week with Godsmack, it seems I had a Godsmack upside my head and programmed the incorrect time to record. I got an hour of Viva La Bam instead. Even though they did have Dani Filth from Cradle of Filth on Bam's show, I sadly will not be reviewing it. Apologies to the loyal thread followers.

:wacko:

4/22/06

Tonight's guest: Devildriver

See review 3/4/06

Hurt - "Rapture" - Volume 1 - Capital

See review 4/1/06

Devildriver in the studio - The Fury of our Maker's Hand is the name of the latest album, which came out last June. They are on their first headlining tour and start May 8th in San Diego, California. They will be on tour with Venom in August and should be back in the studio to make a new album around March of 2007.

From First to Last - "The Latest Plague" - Heroine - Epitaph

Slighty electronic outing here. Has a little of everything. Standard rock, heavier metal sound, bit of pop. An alright effort.

See review 2/11/06

Behemoth - "Slaves Shall Serve" - Demigod - Century Media

See review 1/28/06

DevilDriver - "End of the Line" - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand - Roadrunner

See review 2/18/06

Check out the video here:

WMA

Real

Damageplan - "Explode" - New Found Power - Electra

One of the great tracks off the only Damageplan album. A straighforward chugger that pounds you with its rhythm and sears you with Dimebag's guitar. R.I.P. Dimebag.

Suicidal Tendencies - "You Can't Bring Me Down" - Lights, Camera,...Revolution - Epic

Classic. Love this track. "What the hell is going on around here?" lol @ early Robert Trujillo (Metallica).

Just cause you don't understand what's going on

...don't mean it don't make no sense

And just cause you don't like it,...don't mean it aint no good

And let me tell you something

Before you go taking a walk in my world,

...you better take a look at the real world

Cause this aint no Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

Can you say "feel like shit?"

Yea maybe sometimes I do feel like shit

I aint happy about it, but I'd rather feel like shit

...than be full of shit!

And if I offended you, Oh I'm sorry

But, maybe you needed to be offended

But here's my apology and one more thing...Fuck you!

Cause you can't bring me down

See review 3/4/06

Shadows Fall - "Enlightened by the Cold" - The War Within - Century Media

See review 1/7/06

Tool – “Prison Sex” – Undertow – Zoo

Awesome song and vid. Love this album. Been hearing the new single "Vicarious" from the soon to be released album, 10,000 Days. Sounds great. See review for this song 8/14/04.

See review 2/18/06

Manntis - "Weathered soul" - Sleep in Your Grave - Century Media

Pretty brutal musically. The vocals are typical screaming. Good harmonies and rhythm. Great solowork.

See review 11/19/05

You can hear the studio version here under Downloads.

See review 3/4/06

See review 1/21/06

Sevendust – “Ugly” – Next – Winedark

See review 12/17/05

Check out the video on the Mtv2 website.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously looking into a better alternative to analog tape and for time management. I recorded last week's episode but have not reviewed it yet. I think my sudden re-involvement with Neverwinter Nights has caused a major interruptance in my weekly thread. I will do what I can to get back on track. Don't want to lose my "Pinned" status, you know. :D

• 2 months later...

7-22-06

Helmet - "Gone" - Monochrome - Warcon

I've enjoyed this band for a while now. Ever since the "Milquetoast" days (Betty album). This is an ok song. Not the greatest to start off the show with.

Shadows Fall - "In Effigy" - Fallout From the War - Century Media

New Shadows Fall! Pretty much the same offering as the last album. Good solos and a steady double-kick rhythm along with heavy bass rounds off this decent track. Check out the video here:

WMP

Real

Disturbed - "Land of Confusion" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

Well this is a conundrum. Great video, shitty song. Yeah, I said it. Disturbed turns this average Genesis song into a piece of rock defecation. Kick-ass anime though. I will have to admit that this is better than their cover of Tears for Fears' "Shout" from the debut album. But prolly the second or third worst song of theirs ever. Check out the video on the website.

The Esoteric - "Your New Burden" - With the Sureness of Sleepwalking - Prosthetic

Oh look another effort from the group that put out "Ram-Faced Boy." This song sucks to high hell. 'Nuff said.

Inked in Blood - "Lest I Sleep The Sleep of Death" - Lay Waste The Poets - Facedown

If a parrot did Screamo, this would be its band. What a rotten time to decide to pick this thread back up. Nothing genuine about this band other than the guitarists appearing to swat at flies. I think there's like 3-4 vocal styles here. Check out the Worst Song of the Week on the MySpace site. :thumbsdown:

All That Remains“This Calling” - The Fall of Ideals – Prosthetic

New track from the forthcoming album. This sounds pretty brutal. Great double bass drum with tight guitar licks. Similarities to Killswitch Engage and nice harmonies in the chorus. Looks to be a great album. (Post-video note: The album was produced by Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage).)

Strapping Young Lad - "Love?" - Alien - Century Media

See review 6/18/05

Check out the video here:

WMA

Real

Agnostic Front - "All is Not Forgotten" - Live at CBGB's - Nuclear Blast

I think I recall the original reason why I disliked this band 20 years ago. This was one annoying (and short) video. Sorry guys, but in this case, all IS forgotten. If anyone wants an mp3 of this, I can get it from the Nuclear Blast site.

Scar Symmetry - "The Illusionist" - Pitch Black Progress - Nuclear Blast

Heard a little about this band. Interesting tradeoff of singing styles for the singer. Music is average. The band appears to try too hard in the video. I just had a flash of Olivia Newton-John in my mind. I have no idea why.

Corrosion of Conformity - "Dance of the Dead" - Blind - Relativity

Classic COC! Not sure if I picked up on this band on this song/album or the following one, Deliverance. This is one song that rocks though. Jazzy riffs and a good rolling beat keep this one going.

Rob Zombie - "American Witch" - Educated Horses - Geffen

Another track from Mr. Zombie's latest album. This one is much better than "Foxy, Foxy." I still have yet to hear the one killer track I heard on the album, "Let It All Bleed Out." Alright concert footage of Rob and the band. They need to get rid of John 5. He looks entirely too feminine to be in the band. Almost like C.C. Deville is standing there.

Stone Sour - "30/30 - 150" - Come What(ever) May - Roadrunner

Great track from the new album! Wasn't expecting this when I heard "Through Glass" played over and over on the radio. A great rhythm that keeps the song moving forward. For those not familiar, Stone Sour includes Corey Taylor and Jim Root from Slipknot on Vocals and guitar respectively in both bands.

Satyricon - K.I.N.G. - Now Diabolical - Century Media

Norwegian Black Metal time. Aside from the growl-vocals, this is kinda poppy, in a Type-O Negative way. A real toe-tapper. A goth-metal ditty you can shake your booty to. I should stop though. The singer looks so mean, he might hunt me down for this review. A decent track. Pretty commercialized though. I think it can make AOR radio. I hear remnants of Prong in this. In a good way, of course.

Bullet for My Valentine – "Tears Don't Fall" - The Poison – Trustkill

Been coming to expect decent tracks from this band lately. Little bit sappy start, but it picks up as expected. Hot chick in the video. The chorus could be a bit more aggressive. Check out the video here:

Quicktime

Annihilator - "Alison Hell" - Alice in Hell - Roadrunner

Whoa...MAJOR flashback. One of the greatest Annilihator songs ever. This album, in addition to having some great song titles, has great fist-pumping, head-banging musical treats saturated with axe-meister Jeff Water's exquisite solowork.

Dragonforce - "Through the Fire and Flames" - Inhuman Rampage - Roadrunner

The song of all songs. I just recently got my hands on this bands's new album. The fastest album I've heard in nearly a decade. The drummer and guitarists are forces to reckon with. Check out the solo battle between the guitarists in the mid-latter part of the song. They even highlight the fretwork to show what speeds these guys possess. I would say 90% of this album is just as fast and overall a good thing to add to your ollection. What an adrenaline rush. Pick of the week. You can check out the awesome video on Yahoo or Mtv2.com. :thumbsup:

Artimus Pyledriver - "Swamp Devil" - Artimus Pyledriver - Sever Records/DRT-Entertainment

What the hell is this for a finale? Moonshine Metal? Everyone looks like ZZ Top rejects. I think "General Lee" is in the lyrics. Muscle cars and ball caps. Guy sings like Brian Johnson. Reminds me of Circus of Power. An ok track. 'Nite Y'all.

I'll do what I can to keep this thread up. Work and RL kicking my ass lately. Oh, and the marriage thing. ;) Working on tonight's (7/29) show. :rockon:

7-29-06

All That Rocks Special.

Lacuna Coil"Enjoy the Silence" - Karmacode - Century Media

What is with bands and covers these days? Another song shot to hell. Not even singer Christina's good looks can save this one. This joins the ranks of Disturbed's "Land of Confusion" and Killswitch Engage's "Holy Diver." Thus far, this album hasn't had much to offer. Check out the video here:

Windows

Real

Black Stone Cherry - "Lonely Train" - Black Stone Cherry - Roadrunner

Good sound. Reminiscent of Black Label Society. Great chorus. An overall rocking song. Check out the video here:

QUICKTIME

High Med Low

WINDOWS MEDIA

High Med Low

Mastodon - "Blood and Thunder" - Leviathan - Relapse

See review 6/18/05

Sevendust - "Denial" - Home - TVT

One of the great singles from this awesome band's second album.

Stretch Arm Strong - "Faces" - Free at Last - WPO/EastWest

Where's my Bubblegum? Why they throw this shit on here, I'll never know. Worst song of the week. Even Green Day sounds more metal than this. :thumbsdown:

Wicked Wisdom - "Bleed All Over Me" - Wicked wisdom - Suburban Noize

Been waiting to hear something from this band. There is a slight element of Skunk Anansie here. Nice heavy bassline. Prominent tribal rhythm. Even seems there's a progressive twist to it. Check it out.

Cannibal Corpse - "Make Them Suffer" - Kill - Metal Blade

See review 4/1/06

18 Visions - "Victim" - 18 Visions - Trustkill

Ummm. Uhhh. I think I feel like I'm the victim here. An OK song I guess. I can see L.A. Guns or Faster Pussycat doing this song. Not very original I guess.

Lamb of God - "Now You've Got Something To Die For" - Ashes of the Wake - Epic

See review from 6/18/05

Ministry - "Lies,lies,lies" - Rio Grande Blood - Megaforce

New Ministry! A political video with psychadelic go-go dancers! Another great track from a band that never ceases to satisfy.

The Red Chord - "Black Santa" - Clients - Metal Blade Records

Thrashcore with stop-motion animation. And a psychotic looking singer to boot. An alright effort. Too much noise for me. Drummer is pretty good though.

Coal Chamber - "Shock the Monkey" - Chamber Music - Roadrunner

Now this is a good cover. Too bad it's 7 years old. And Ozzy showing up for backing vocals is a real plus. Cool video. And yes, there's a monkey. This is the only album I have from this band. It's pretty decent.

As I Lay Dying“Through Struggle” - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

See review 12/17/05

Soulfly - "Carved Inside" - Dark Ages - Roadrunner

A brutal song from Max Cavaera's 5th and latest Soulfly release.

Helmet - "Gone" - Monochrome - Warcon

See review last week.

Atreyu - "Ex's and Oh's" - A Death Grip on Yesterday - Victory

See review 3/25/06

Paul Di'Anno - "The Living Dead" - The Living Dead - Cleopatra/Magick

Well this is unexpected. New music from Iron Maiden's original singer. Nice start. Maidenesque ballad. Paul's lost a lot of weight. It seems he's doing some poor lip-synching. Average song at best. Nothing to get excited about. Oh well.

Spitfire - "Life and Limb" - Self Help - Goodfellow

I am already half-asleep and they play this as a closer? Nothing but noise here. Oh good, it's over. Time for bed. Check out the video here:

(High Bandwidth)

(Low Bandwidth)

:sleep:

Next week: Kerry King of Slayer! :guitarplay1:

8/5/06

Tonight's Guest - Kerry King from Slayer :rockon:

Every Time I Die"The New Black"Gutter Phenomenon – Ferret

Get a show starring Kerry King of Slayer and this is how you start it off? This night better not suck. This song sure did.

Kerry provided HBB with a sneak peak of the track "Eyes of the Insane." Sounds awesome. They also played the song "Cult" which is great too. This latter song is the one causing all the controversy lately. The new album, Christ Illusion, comes out this (past) Tuesday. Kerry thinks this new album is as brutal or moreso than Reign in Blood. There was a free listening of the entire album on the Slayer MySpace page this (past) weekend. Anyone get to hear it in its entirety?

Strapping Young Lad- "The Wrong Side" - The New Black - Century Media

Coulda swore I already reviewed a new song from this album. More kick-ass metal from Devin and the boys. This is a pretty good track. It seems Devin adopts different singing styles on this one. Almost like his own Bohemian Rhapsody. I never thought I'd hear an element of opera from this band, but the singer could be possibly labeled as totally insane also.

Unearth - "Giles" - III - In the Eyes of Fire - Metal Blade

Musically pretty decent. A bit like Killswitch Engage. The screaming gets old pretty quickly. Solowork is good. Break in the middle of the song is cool to hear.

Slayer - "Criminally Insane" - Still Reigning DVD - Universal

See review 7/9/05

See review 3/4/06

Bleed the Dream - "Confessions" - Built by Blood - Warcon

Nice friday the 13th opening. "Ch..Ch..CH..Haa..haa..haaa". Whiney opening that picks up at the pre-chorus. Looks to be another Avenged Sevenfold or 18 Visions clone. Could even be a copy of Atreyu. An alright song.

Slayer - "Seasons in the Abyss" - Seasons in the Abyss - Def American

One of the greatest songs Slayer has done. Kerry looked so much better with long hair. Now he's got this Scott Ian (Anthrax) thing going with the bald head and the long goatee. The buildup for this song is dramatic. You look forward to each new segment that eventually leads to the lyrics. Dave Lombardo's playing is astounding. A must for any slayer fan out there.

Arch Enemy - "My Apocalypse" - Doomsday Machine - Century Media

This one gives me chills. I love the way Arch Enemy opens their songs. Why this black and white video is highlighting one of the guitarist's red hair, I have no idea. The lead singer, Angela, can really growl her throat off. The ballady mid-section has great melody and is a nice intermission to the continued heaviness that follows. Great outro on this one. "MY APOCALYPSE IS HERE!"

See review 2/18/06

Children of Bodom "Are You Dead Yet?"Are You Dead Yet? - Spinefarm

Another blistering release from COB's latest album. I think I prefer "In Your Face" more than this, but this song is pretty killer also.

Chimaira – “Powertrip” – The Impossibility of Reason – Roadrunner

See review 8/7/04

The Haunted - "No Compromise" - rEVOLVEr - Century Media

See review 8/6/05

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

This show was cut short due to a Slayer "Unholy Alliance" Tour special. I watched some of it but lost interest halfway. Seems to be a good concert though.

Next week's guest : Dragonforce!

• 3 weeks later...

8/12/06

Tonight's Guest - Dragonforce!

All That Remains“This Calling” - The Fall of Ideals – Prosthetic

See review 7/22/06

Agnostic Front - "All is Not Forgotten" - Live at CBGB's - Nuclear Blast

See review 7/22/06

Iron Maiden - "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" - A Matter of Life and Death - Sanctuary

I really enjoy this new one. It has a straightforward grind that you can't help but shake your head too. Not too aggressive but not too soft either. Classic Steve Harris sound along with great solowork by the guitarists. One of the best since Bruce's return. Check out the video here:

Real Player - Higher Quality

Real Player - Lower Quality

Windows Media - Higher Quality

Windows Media - Lower Quality

Unearth - "Giles" - III - In the Eyes of Fire - Metal Blade

See review 8/5/06

Eyes of Fire - "It All Dies Today" - Prisons - Century Media

Thought I had reviewed this band. GUess not. Well here's the verdict: It basically sucks. Check out the video with the link. Worst song of the week. :thumbsdown:

Dragonforce - "Through the Fire and Flames" - Inhuman Rampage - Roadrunner

See review 7/22/06

18 Visions - "Victim" - 18 Visions - Trustkill

See review 7/29/06

Note: If I see one more commercial of Bury Your Dead's "new" album (July 11th), I may have to quit this thread. They just did it twice during this specific commercial break and at least once for every comercial break since the show started. Seems Mtv2 is having trouble playing just 2 videos in a row also.

Lamb of God - "Redneck" - Sacrament - Epic

A decent track from the upcoming (past-lol)(8/22) new album. Strong Pantera sound to this one. I look forward to the other inevitable killer tracks that will be on this album. The only bad part was Mtv2 editing out the "Motherfu**ing Invitiation."

Cryptopsy - "The Pestilence that Walketh in the Darkness" - Once Was Not - Century Media

See review 4/1/06

Inked in Blood - "Lest I Sleep The Sleep of Death" - Lay Waste The Poets - Facedown

See review 7/22/06

Bullet for My Valentine – "Tears Don't Fall" - The Poison – Trustkill

See review 7/22/06. Check out the video here:

Quicktime

Satyricon - K.I.N.G. - Now Diabolical - Century Media

See review 7/22/06

Priestess - "I am the Night, Color Me Black" - Hello Master - RCA

New one here. Another young band with an old sound. I hear a bit of Motorhead and Black Stone Cherry here. These guys look like they may be going somewhere. Click on the band link to listen to the song or watch the video.

Manowar - "Blow Your Speakers" - Fighting the World - Atco

See review 2/11/06

Through the Eyes of a the Dead - "2 Inches From a Main Artery" - Bloodlust - Prosthetic

Nice industrial sound here. ANd the......SHRIEK ATTACK!!!! This one is almost as bad as Cryptopsy, except that one was actually a bit humourous. I'm sure it's computer enhanced, as with most of the song, but the drummer appears to be doing double kicks so fast it is almost one individual sound. Perhaps in future weeks, this may qualify as worst song of the week. Psychological Torture, this was.

Artimus Pyledriver - "Swamp Devil" - Artimus Pyledriver - Sever Records/DRT-Entertainment

See review 7/22/06

Missed the past 2 weeks so hopefully see you in September.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Still coming soon. lol

I waited too long and DVR overwrite it with (ex-)wife's 12-hour Criminal Intent marathon. Grrr.

No more wife or criminal intent.

:thumbsup:

Finally!

So I'm back and time's are a-changin'. Both for me and for the metal world. It seems there's more new hardcore artists these days and not enough of the old gristle I love the most. Ah, what the hell. It's still metal, right? Here we go:

When I first mentioned above I was recording this again, I saw that they had this Rock Block thing the hour before HBB. As it has metal videos incorporated into it, I figured I would include it here. I'll segregate them this time and just group them together next time..which I hope will be based on tonight's recording. I will try to have these ready by the following Wednesdays. The commentary/opinions written for the Rock Block are strictly for the videos; they have other content in there, but from what I saw it is mostly lame stuff. Back to the Black...

Rock Block (6/16/07):

Ozzy Osbourne - "I Don't Wanna Stop" - Black Rain - Epic

Holy Headless Vermin! I've never done Ozzy? Guess he hasn't been to forthcoming on new material the past few years. I really enjoy this one. It's always great to hear Zakk on an Ozzy album. The song is great all around--it has the right rhythm for both the verses and the choruses. I can't immediately identify the bass player. Might be a newcomer. Reminds me a bit of The Ultimate Sin days. I haven't heard the rest of the album yet, but I hope it's the same as this one. You can check out the song with the player on the site.

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump" - Icky Thump - Third Man Records/Warner

This is definitely a flavor you either like or don't. Seems to be typical White Stripes here. It was mentioned over at the Consortium by one member that this was the only real decent track. I've been partial about prior singles. What I do know is the sister/drummer looks hot as hell in this video. Overall a bit redundant, but it has a good groove. Turn it up. Check out the video at the site.

Senses Fail - "Can't Be Saved" - Still Searching - Vagrant

I may have to skip this hour in the future. Not sure if they would play this during the normal HBB, but this is definitely not metal. Whiney vocals, cheesy video...we've heard this before. If you're into the My Chemical Romance or Blink 182 genre, check these guys out.

My Chemical Romance - "Teenagers" - The Black Parade - Reprise

Speak of the devils. I have to say this was a departure from what I've come to expect from this band. Not necessarily in a great way, either. I'd expect this to be in a broadway musical. An ok track. They've done much better. Check out the video and song at the site.

Killswitch Engage - "The Arms of Sorrow" - As Daylight Dies - Roadrunner

Another decent cut from KsE's latest. The singer gets drowned out for the most part. Little bit of ego shwing from founding guitarist Adam D. bUt he's always been that way in his performances. There are better tracks on the album, but this one's pretty good.

Alice in Chains - "Rooster" - Dirt - MtV Unplugged

Seeing this one was hard. I really enjoy Alice in Chains. I may have to get this on DVD one day. I have the CD. Seeing Layne again is overwhelming, painful and exciting...all at the same time. This entire unplugged album is great. The Dirt album is my favorite of the AIC discography. Take a look a the great collection of videos that Sony has put together. Watch "Rooster," "Grind," "We Die Young" or one of twelve other videos here.

Chevelle - "Well Enough Alone" - Vena Sera - Epic

Some of this band's singles I enjoy. Seems to be a bit of Defones in a lot of their work. Not too bad.

HBB (6/30/07):

Might have to adjust the timer. I think I missed the first video and it started with Dave Mustaine talking from a boat near the Statue of Liberty then cut to commercial. Oh well.

Three Days Grace - "Never Too Late" - One-X - Jive/Zomba

This song's been making the local radio rounds. TDG always seem to have a catchy chorus and decent backing music. Well done for a modern day power ballad. A departure from the normal angst-ridden songs I've come to know this band for. My highlight would be the singer's extended scream/shout near the end of the track. I like the pitch changes. This band is doing well for itself.

Goatwhore - "Forever Consumed Oblivion" - A Haunting Curse - Metal Blade

lol. The name of this band is worth it alone. Speed/thrash/black metal at it's finest. The guitaist looks like old school Kerry King. Pulverizing drums accompanied by the constant shred of guitars partner up with the throaty growls of the vocalist. Fun to watch, but nothing I would wish to own. Heavy shit, though.

Six Feet Under - "Ghosts of the Undead" - Commandment - Metal Blade

Great opening chug here. Haven't heard these guys in a while. More cookie monster bellowing from fontman Chris Barnes, but mostly the same they usually do. Some interesting bio info on their website.

I just realized something. MTv2 obviously has a new setup/program going on here, but there's soemthing I wonder. Did they get rid of Jamey Jasta?? Maybe there IS a god.

In This Moment - "Prayers" - Beautiful Tragedy - Century Media

Whoa. A blonde tattoed chick in a schoolgirl outfit screaming and singing to some aggressive metal. Sounds like she has an accent underneath it all. I also have to draw comparisons to modern acts such as Flyleaf and Kittie I don't think this is going to work. Too much happening. Some good double bass runs at the end. Check out the title track on the website. Much better.

The Red Chord - "Fixation on Plastics" - Clients - Metal Blade/Blackmarket Activities

This is the third track from this album I have covered. And the third time is not a charm. I would torture my enemy with this. And get a greater thrill than playing my own favored music against them. The maniac movements of the band is much more interesting than the music. The killer snare drum solo and the jazzy ending are the highlights here.

Damnation A.D. - "Knot" - In this Life or the Next - Victory

One of the latest from the Victory bunch. I don't always trust this label. A little more tolerable than the last song. This singer is a big mad man. I herby announce to poke fun at any fans of this attempt at a metal band.

Despised Icon - "In the Arms of Perdition" - The Ills of Modern Man - Century Media

Haven't rated this band in a while. Looks like it's going to be loud. Insane double bass, Similar style to Six Feet Under, 'cept this one is actually faster than the earlier SFU review. Sometimes there's a certain way to do this music right and I think this band pulls it off. Oh look, two singers. Was wondering what I was hearing. Was that metal whistling? No way. I can see this band performing a metal version of the "Oscar Meyer Weiner" theme song.

Dark Tranquillity - "Focus Shift" - Fiction - Century Media

Was waiting for something new from these guys. I enjoyed their last album. The keyboards really add to this. Much in the way it does with Children of Bodom or Dragonforce. A good sound. Check out the "Terminus" video on their MySpace. Funny as hell.

Poison the Well - "Letter Thing" - Versions - Ferret

Another label I am questionable about. Trippy ass video. It might steal the show. This music can use a makeover.

Ignite - "Bleeding" - Our Darkest Days - Abacus Recordings

Interesting Voice. Sounds like a patriotic diity. Musically decent, I think the lyrics are worn. Damn, this guy migt even sound like Cher. I can hear "Believe" in this one. Luckily it's over. Pass on this one.

Bleeding Through - "Line in the Sand" - The Truth - Trustkill

I think I enjoyed this band in the past. Sexy femme keyboardist. Good ballady opening. I remember this band now. They had a freaky cannibalistic vedeo before. Ok, this was going good until the chorus. Damn she is hot. The sappy lryics/sound is worth checking out the girl. Wait...maybe not. I think I may need a dose of Justin Timberlake to feel like a man again. Damn it all.

Lupara - "No Pity for the Ants" - Lupara - Crash Music

New one here for me. Heavy grind opening. Oh noes...been there before. Interesting video. Not much else. No Pity for the Fans.

Enslaved - "Isa" - Isa - Candlelight

Not sure if I've heard these guys. Musically a good opening. Reminds me of Amon Amarth. After that it drops. All vocals, both the screaming and background, do nothing to help this. Sounds like Alan Parsons Metal. So much for Norwegian black metal.

The show keeps bringing this thing in between videos, It's called Ballet Deviare. And yes it has ballet...and metal. No, the band members aren't wearing tutus, but they have female ballet dancers in front of them while they're playing relatively aggressive metal. I am really speechless about this right now. Just freaking odd...and the creators know it.

Sanctity - "Beneath the Machine" - Road to Bloodshed - Roadrunner

Shadows Fall opening. This one has a good sound. Solo break gives me chills with the double kicks. Good finale. Pick of the week. :thumbsup:

DAATH - "Subterfuge" - The Hinderers - Roadrunner

If Chris Kattan sang metal, this is how he'd look. Dark video with enough dripping ooze and writhing things to make you think it's the next Species sequel. Music is average. Good solo work. Steady impact on the drums. This one just doesn't do wonders, though.

Ion Dissonance - "Kneel" - Minus the Herd - Abacus

Cool name. Young group. Unoriginal sound. I'm thinking I'm really not a metalcore fan.

Sworn Enemy - "All I Have" - The Beginning of the End - Abacus

Reminds me of Hatebreed. Same Hardcore sound. This might be a bit better though. But not worth having.

Black Label Society - "Blood is Thicker Than Water" - Shot to Hell - Roadrunner

Finally, a return to normalcy. Somewhat. Zakk seems to have went all out on the visual efects on this one. Good ballad. Not as good as "In This River" but a decent BLS cut. Check out the video on the site.

Kittie - "Funeral for Yesterday" - Funeral for Yesterday - Merovingian Music

Haven't heard these gals in a long time. Great chugga sound. They may have dropped some of the growls from the past. This track appears to be mising them. I also think there are two new members, possibly since the last album. This one is more like a highly aggressive Hole song. lol..not used to the double bass with a chick band. Not a bad track. Check out the promo pics on the website. These girls are hot!

Dimmu Borgir - "The Sepentine Offering" - In Sorte Diaboli - Nuclear Blast

I enjoyed songs from the last album from these guys. I think I've heard a couple tracks from this new album that were good also. Not heard this song yet. typical orchestral opening. Seems like a lot of production went into this video. Actually, this sounds just like the previous video I reviewed for them. Background harmony vocals interlude the grumblings of the lead singer...and then the recording ends. :(

Definitely adding a buffer zone next time.

Should have a new one posted in the next few days. Recorded last night's. Metal Out!

Damn DVR.

Try again next weekend. :mad3:

You covered a lot of ground the last time in your 6/16/07 post.

Is Chemical Romance considered Metal?

I liked the band 'Killswitch Engage' an in particular, the cuts My Curse & The Arms of Sorrow - amazing range and dyamics. Also liked the Swedish band, Dark Tranquility, and the guitar work in Sanctity. Pretty interesting range of material you are covering.

I'm not thinking My Chemical Romance are truly in the genre, but damn close. The term "Headbanger" for me has always been directly linked to metal music...primarily going back nearly 20 years to the original HBB when there wasn't so much mutation on the basic styles of music. I suppose anything in the Rock/Metal category can be considered open game for headbanging. Could just be whatever elicits a strong musical affinity with whatever you're listening to. Rappers headbang to rap. They just don't know it.

I discovered Killswitch Engage when they were with their prior singer, Jesse Leach, on the second album. I fell in love with the brutality and style. While I was hesitant over the addition of new singer Howard Jones, I quickly realized what an asset he was on his debut with KsE, The End of Heartache. Reading back in this thread, you can attribute my feelings for this album and, especially, the song. If you thought the range was impressive on those two songs, check out any or all of the tracks on TeoH.

I've been following Dark Tranquillity since the last album Character. The song that drew me to them was "Lost to Apathy." More and more keyboards are starting to show up in metal acts. Not a horrible thing with acts such as this one, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, and Bleeding Through.

Yeah, there's always the need for something new. While it would have been nice to hear a specific sub-genre that I like playing consistently for 2 hours, mixing it up a little sometimes unearths a new sound that, if you're diverse enough, compliments your musical enjoyment.