Headbanger's Ball

Lord_of_the_Dense

I could, but this basically gets handed to me each week. I apologize in advance for the redundancy of some of the bands, although it is beyond my control. The music I have heard in my local scene doesn't appear to be too savvy for my tastes and I would hate to have biased opinion towards this area. Due to the irregular intervals I am able to post in this thread, it says something about my availability to to accomplish even this feat.

I guess what it boils down to is time. And even if I had it, I'm not sure I'd know where to start. I am more of a doer, not a starter. How I pulled this project off, if you could consider it that, I'll never know. I guess it takes the guesswork out of something I can contribute to the site that can't be (immeditaely) labeled as spam.

I appreciate the voice of encouragement. If you have an idea or direction, I may take it into consideration. But understand that any new project would fall under the same time constraints as this one.

10/8/05

Tonight's special guest: Disturbed.

Static-X - "I'm The One" - Start A War - Warner Bros.

See review 6/18/05

A Perfect Murder - "Body and Blood" - Strength Through Vengeance - Victory

This sounds pretty good. Pantera-like. Solid drumming and guitarwork. Not sure if I've reviewed these guys before. Good stuff. There was a link to the mp3 at the website but it does not work at the moment.

Disturbed in the studio. Ten Thousand Fists is the new album in stores now. There were more guitar solos than the last album. It has been missing in music lately and as they wrote the album, they felt it was something that was needed. Jamie spoke with John Moyer, the new bassist. He auditioned for the band, he played for them at an audition and got called back for a second audition. Disturbed is currently on the Jagermeister tour. The cover of Genesis' "Land of Confusion" was chosen because of the political content of the song. David (Draiman) says that while the video showcases a different president at the time of the video, the same "puppetry" of the public is happening now, just from a different leader.

Brand New Sin - "Days are Numbered" - Recipe for Disaster - Century Media

Solid bass line. Nice gritty basic metal, bordering on hard rock. Sound a bit like BLS. Chorus has a nice groove. Definitely a head-shaker.

Dillinger Escape Plan - "Unretrofied" - Miss Machine - Relapse

Appears to be a slower, electronic..even soulful ditty from this band. A more emotional side of this normally balls-out, thrasholic fest? This has to be the most interesting song I've heard from this band yet. The screaming kinda takes away from it, but that seems to be their style. Interesting video. lol. The bassist has some kind of Spandau Ballet thing going on.

System of a Down - "Spiders" - System of a Down - American

A great song from the debut album. Well written and very melodic. As with all of their videos, this one delivers also on the visuals.

Disturbed - "Stricken" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

The video was filmed in an abandoned hospital, the same place where Nightmare on Elm Street showed Freddy's basement (or something like that). See review on 10/1/05 also.

Opeth - "The Grand Conjuration" - Ghost Reveries - Roadrunner

Been interested in checking out this band. Interesting buildup, Goes from mellow to death metal scream and then back again. In this case, the keyboards add a nice haunting effect,. Nice solo. The bassist is very versatile. I'd really like to hear more on this band. I feel I'm a late bloomer when it comes to Opeth.

Manntis - "Axe of Redemption" - Sleep in Your Grave - Century Media

While these guys are touring with my favorite band Hatebreed (NOT!) they actualy sound decent. More to the music here. Mid-break in the song is pretty killer.

Soilwork - "Nerve" - Stabbing the Drama - Nuclear Blast

Great opening. I've enjoyed some past work from these guys. Singer looks like a meaner Billy Corgan and is capable of various styles. Works well woth the song.

Demons and Wizards - "Terror Train" - Touched By the Crimson King - SPV/Steamhammer

Whoa. This is some crazy shit. I always was interested in checking out this band. This guy is a bit operatic, kinda like Candlemass. The train on this video reminds me of the Orgasmatron album by Motörhead. This song has the perfect steamroller effect for a song about a terror train. Damn the drummer's legs must be tired. lol

Type O Negative - "Black #1" - Bloody Kisses - Roadrunner

Another great band, This was the album I first got into the band with, though not this song. Peter Steele is an odd one. The only bassist I know that plays an upright bass as a regualar basis. I think my ex-wife used to dance to this song nude at a Deja-Vu. (No, I didn't watch her and it's not the reason why she became an Ex. lol).

Kids in the Way - "Apparitions of Melody" - Apparitions of Melody - Flicker

Damn-it Mtv2! You just have to throw this shit at me. Kids in the way. Aptly named. Get this shit outta here. Worst song of the week.

All That Remains – “Tattered On My Sleeve" - The Darkened Heart – Prosthetic

See review 8/13/05

Haste the Day - "When Everything Falls" - When Everything Falls - Solid State

See review 7/9/05.

Five.Bolt.Main - "Pathetic" - Venting - Rock Ridge

See review 8/13/05

Helloween - "I Want Out" - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II - Noise

Great song. I remember watching ths video when I was in the Army in Colorado Springs in 1989. I've enjoyed this band since the release of Keeper of th Seven Keys Pt 1. Great harmonies. If you haven't checked out this band's earliest works, I would highly recommend them. Speaking of Helloween, Halloween is right around the corner. Time for my yearly playing of Helloween's 13+ minute opus "Halloween."

Death By Stereo - "Entomed We Collide" - Death for Life - Epitaph

See review 8/13/05

It Dies Today - "Severed Ties Yield Severed Heads" - The Caitiff Choir - Trustkill

Dunno if I care for many of the artists signed to Trustkill. What the hell is with this guy's hair? Orgy meets Flock of Seagulls. What a way to end the show. This band almost makes the worst song of the week. You can check out the video on the site.

i love reading these L.O.T.D.......i try and follow up as many as i can...... :)

i`m thrashing rob halfords 2002 album " crucible " at the moment.....great guitar riffs on this one..halfords vocals are good too......

post-6-1129105166.jpg

10/15/05

Tonight's special guest: A Life Once Lost

Avenged Sevenfold - "Burn it Down" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

See review 8/1/05 :reallymad:

Clutch - "Burning Beard" - Robot Hive - Exodus

See review 8/6/05

A Life Once Lost in the studio. The new album is called Hunter and had Rob Caggiano from Anthrax fame assist on the record. Randy Blythe from Lamb of God contributed vocals also. They are on tour with Unearth.

Bloodsimple - "What If I Lost It?" - Bloodsimple - Reprise/Bullygoat

I swear they said this was gonna be Soulfly. Maybe there's someone from the band. Dunno. OK song. Nuff said.

Judas Priest - "Turbo Lover" - Turbo - Columbia

I know some Priest fans dislike this song. I pretty much like it. It was cool at the time and for me, this song still rocks now.

Il Nino - "What You Deserve" - One Nation Underground - Roadrunner

A commercially acceptable song. Nothing grand on the metal front. Just average. You can view the video here:

QuickTime (high) 15.7 MB

QuickTime (med) 7.06 MB

QuickTime (low) 2.59 MB

Windows Media Video (high)

Windows Media Video (med)

Windows Media Video (low)

10 Years - "Wasteland" - The Autumn Effect - Universal/Republic

See review 9/24/05

A Life Once Lost - "Vulture" - Hunter - Ferret

See review 6/18/05

Madball - "Heaven - Hell" - Legacy - Ferret

See review 8/1/05

Dope - "Survive" - American Apathy - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

Anthrax - "Caught in a Mosh" - NFV

See review 9/24/05

Underoath - "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" - They're Only Chasing Safety – Tooth and Nail / Solid State

See review 9/24/05

From Autumn To Ashes - "where Do You Draw The Line?" - Abandon Your Friends - Vagrant

Decent opening on this one. Oh crap - more whiney vocals. Will this band ever change?

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

Roadrunner United - "The End" - The All Star Sessions - Roadrunner

This is what I was waiting for. A combined effort of a major metal record label. From the site:

Roadrunner Records has put together a groundbreaking record to mark the label's 25th Anniversary. Roadrunner United The All-Star Sessions is IN STORES NOW and it  is a master-class in hard rock/metal.

'Captains' Joey Jordison ( Slipknot ), Dino Cazares (ex- Fear Factory/Brujeria ), Robert Flynn ( Machine Head ) and Matthew Heafy ( Trivium ) play on the songs they have written and have also assembled a unique team of artists to appear on each track. I n cluding contributions from such metal luminaries as Corey Taylor, Paul Gray and Jim Root of Slipknot, Howard Jones and Mike D. from Killswitch Engage, Peter Steele and Josh Silver from Type O Negative, Dez Fafara of DevilDriver/Coal Chamber fame, Mark Hunter of Chimaira, King Diamond and members of Opeth, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Trivium, Sepultura, Soulfly, Deicide, Life of Agony and many, MANY more - this is an album in which the whole is even greater than the sum of it's parts.

If you are a fan of METAL - be it black, death, thrash, trad, 'core or whatever the hell you want to call it - pick this album up because it is truly a testament to 25 years of the best metal has to offer all on one CD.

I definitely want to get my hands on this one. The songs that I have downloaded thus far kick ass. I highly recommend this if you are a fan of the Roadrunner label bands.

Drowningman - "White People Are Stupid" - Don't Push Us When We're Hot - Thorp

Alright! New shit! And shit it is. I love how all the crap bands are aptly named. Damn this bites. Worst song of the week.

Slayer – “Bloodline” – God Hates Us All – American/Island Def Jam

See review 8/21/04

The Haunted - "The Compromise" - reVOLVEr - Century Media

See review 8/6/2005

Dark New Day - "Brother" - Twelve Year Silence - Warner Brothers

See review 6/18/05

• 2 weeks later...

They've changed the schedule on me for the past 2 weeks. Some lame Top 20 countdown is on and even if HBB is on later, I normally have to work the next day. One I determine when it's truly on, I will start recording again. May take time as you've seen before. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

For November 19th, 2005:

Tonight's special host: Candace Kucsulain from Walls of Jericho (Babe!)

Tonight's special guest: Haste the Day

Killswitch Engage - "A Bid Farewell" - {Set this} World Ablaze (DVD) - Roadrunner

If you've been following this thread, you'll know I have a liking for this band. This live offering of one of The End of Heartache's great songs is another testament to this band's ability to play some kick-ass metal. About the only drawback is guitarist Adam D.'s bouncing around in his Angus Young/Eddie Munster outfit. He's lucky he's a good guitarist.

Trivium - "Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

See review 9/24/05

Check out the video here:

WM Hi

WM Med

WM Low

Haste the day in the studio. When Everything Falls is the name of their newest CD. All of their songs are about life experiences of the band. They have deep passion for the music that they sing and play live onstage. They are currently on tour with Static Lullaby. On later tours they will be with Bleeding Through and Everytime I Die.

Cradle of Filth - "From the Cradle to Enslave" - Peace Through Superior Firepower(DVD) - Roadrunner

Wasn't even aware this was out. I think this might be my first review of this band in this thread. In recent months, this band has grew on me. While singer Dani Filth's voice is something to get used to, the music is both melodic and brutal. This is one of the newer acts I really enjoy. I like the background female vocalist this band uses. Too bad they edit the damn video. You can hear the studio version here under Downloads.

Machine Head - "Seasons Wither" - Elegies - Roadrunner

What is this, a Roadrunner fest? Great band. Been following them from the beginning. Not sure if this is a new release. The band appears current. Maybe it's another DVD. Will check the website later. About time I get some unique bands on this show. I feel bad always posting "See review ". This was a great song though. I'll have to go through my collection to see if I have it. I do, it was on the last album, Through the Ashes of Empires. OK, it appears this is a new DVD that was released OCtober 11th. Holy cow! I just realized that two of the members are from the old thrash band Vio-lence, a CD that I've had like forever and well before I started listening to Machine Head. Crazy. Song of the week.

Slayer - "Raining Blood" - War at the Warfield(DVD) - American

Coulda sworn this song already played. No explanation here. Slayer slays.

Haste the Day - "When Everything Falls" - When Everything Falls - Solid State

Guess I spoke too soon. lol

See review 7/9/05

Obituary - "Insane" - Frozen in Time - Roadrunner

See review 8/1/05

Korn - "Twisted Transistor" - See You On The Other Side - Virgin

lol...This is not what you will expect. Seems they made a parody video of themselves using black artists. Kind of a documentary of sorts. But when you cast anything with Snoop Dogg, in this case as James "Munky" Schaffer, you know it can't be entirely serious. While it is entertaining in its own right, I'm a bit disappointed that it is not the complete song without interruption. Definitely worth watching, whether you're a fan or not.

See review 9/24/05

God Forbid - "The End of the World" - IV: The Constitution of Treason - Century Media

A decent release from this band's latest, The background vocals can be done without. Nice solowork from both guitarists. Seems to be much diversity in the ethnicity of this band. Works well.

All That Remains – “Tattered On My Sleeve" - The Darkened Heart – Prosthetic

See review 8/13/05

See review 10/15/05

Madball - "Heaven - Hell" - Legacy - Ferret

See review 8/1/05

See review 10/15/05

You can view the video here:

QuickTime (high) 15.7 MB

QuickTime (med) 7.06 MB

QuickTime (low) 2.59 MB

Between the Buried and Me - "Alaska" - Alaska - Victory

See review 10/1/05

Into the Moat - "Empty Shell" - The Design - Metal Blade

New blood. Unfortunatelty, not too original. Jazzy riffs and RRRRRRROOOOOAAAARRRRRR!!!!!! don't go to well together. These kids are trying too hard. The pullover hoodie has to go dude. Why are bassists always morons? No wonder they always are on the bottom of the totem pole. I would only recommend this as a form of psychological warfare. Worst song of the week. Into the moat indeed.

What a crappy ending.

Next week's guest: KORN!!

Cradle of Filth - "From the Cradle to Enslave" - Peace Through Superior Firepower(DVD) - Roadrunner

Wasn't even aware this was out. I think this might be my first review of this band in this thread. In recent months, this band has grew on me. While singer Dani Filth's voice is something to get used to, the music is both melodic and brutal. This is one of the newer acts I really enjoy. I like the background female vocalist this band uses. Too bad they edit the damn video. You can hear the studio version here under Downloads.

THANK YOU SIR!!

12/3/05

Tonight: Revolver Magazine and Mtv2 present the Top Metal Videos of 2005

15 - Disturbed - "Stricken" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

See review 10/1/05

14 - Every Time I Die"Kill The Music"Gutter Phenomenon – Ferret

See review 10/1/05

13 - Norma Jean - "Absentimental" - O' God, The Aftermath - Solid State

See review 9/24/05

12 - Mastodon - "Blood and Thunder" - Leviathan - Relapse

See review 6/18/05

11 - Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

10 - Avenged Sevenfold - "Bat Country" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

See review 8/6/05. :sick:

9 - Underoath - "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" - They're Only Chasing Safety – Tooth and Nail / Solid State

See review 9/24/05

8 - Lamb of God - "Now You've Got Something To Die For" - Ashes of the Wake - Epic

See review 6/18/05

7 - System of a Down“Question!”Mesmorize – American/Columbia

See review 8/6/05

6 - As I Lay Dying - "Confined" - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

See review 6/18/05.

5 - Megadeth - "Of Mice and Men" - The System Has Failed - Sanctuary

Being a metalhead of the 80's, this has to be one of, if not the favorite band of mine. I was quite impressed with this album. Nice display of the band's ability here, but the geniuses at Mtv2 decided to only show a clip of the video. Unfortunately, we may not be hearing anything new from what the world knows as Megadeth anymore. Rust in Peace, Megadeth.

4 - Clutch - "Burning Beard" - Robot Hive - Exodus

See review 8/16/05

3 - Life of Agony - "Love to Let You Down" - Broken Valley - Epic

See review 8/1/05

2 - Slipknot - "Before I Forget" - Vol. 3 - The Subliminal Verses - Roadrunner

See review 6/18/05.

1 - MuDvAyNe - "Happy?" - Lost and Found - Epic

See review 7/23/05

What, no Trivium? :reallymad:

Next Week: Dimebag Remembered. Pantera and Damageplan videos, tributes, Vinny Paul speaks.

12/10/05

Dimebag Darrel Tribute

All Pantera music can be found in the Multimedia area of thier Official Website.

Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell" - Cowboys from Hell - Atco

Here it is. The first song off the first album. The one that started it all. Not sure if I started with the band at this time or not. I believe I may have as the song "Cemetary Gates" showed up on the Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight soundtrack. When I heard that song, I just HAD to hear more from this band. For anyone who has heard it, you'll know what I'm talking about. As every single one of the songs they play by Pantera tonight will most likely be kick ass, I'll comment mostly on specifics of the song and any key rememberances I may have.

Pantera - "This Love" - Vulgar Display of Power - Atco/EastWest

The first semi-ballad (and possibly single) off the second album. A display of Pantera's growing maturity of their songwriting. I had never seen this video before. Pretty cool.

Pantera - "Walk" - Vulgar Display of Power - Atco/EastWest

Another great single off VDoP. Out of all the albums, I think I prefer this one the least. Not entirely sure why. It has its highlights. Just think there are more songs I favor on the other albums.

Pantera - "Cemetary Gates" - Cowboys From Hell - Atco

Probably the most bad-ass song on the first album. The ending solo on this gives me chills every time I hear it. I think the only other guitarist I've heard hit that high of a note was Joe Satriani. This song demonstrated that Dimebag would be a force to reckon with. [/end chill]

Pantera - "Mouth for War" - Vulgar Display of Power - Atco/EastWest

Great rhythm. Great song.

Damageplan - "Save Me" - New Found Power - Electra

One of the better songs on Damageplan's, Dimebag and Vinnie's second band's, first, and possibly only, album. I think the singer is an ex-guitarist from (Rob) Halford. Not a bad album altogether. It seems the website is now only a memorial. This doesn't reflect well with the future of the band. It's understandable though.

Kiss - "I Love It Loud" - Creatures of the Night - Casablanca

Along with Dimebag, I am a major fan of Kiss. Have been since 3rd grade. I still recall the distinct smell of the trading cards in the late 70s. It took me a while to get this cassette, but it had some great stuff on it, especially this memorable anthem. This album was the only one that featured drummer Eric Carr in his "fox" makeup, just before the band decided to remove the makeup. A humourous video similar to Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It."

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

[cries]

See review 8/13/05

[/cries]

Pantera – “Revolution Is My Name” – Reinventing the Steel – EastWest/EEG

The last studio album by Pantera, this album rocks as hard as the others. Especially this song. Phil Anselmo, the singer, is supporting a much more hairy look than his early days. One thing about Pantera videos; they are never boring. This one seems to poke fun at themselves growing up and growing older. Too bad Dimebag never got the chance. It also showcases all the influences of the band. Also, see review on 8/21/04.

Drowning Pool - "Bodies" - Sinner - Wind-up

Probably the only song I really care for from this band. I think it's the only one I know from this album also. Not sure if it was this album when the original singer died, but the new one hasn't really done much for me.

Pantera - "5 Minutes Alone" - Far Beyond Driven - EastWest

I think this has to be my favorite Pantera album. This song along with many others just blows me away. This is also the concert I got to see of them in Germany. Love the guitar and drums on this one. Another blistering solo. Damn I'm gonna miss this guy making new music.

Damageplan - "Breathing New Life" - New Found Power - Electra

The first single from Damageplan, this song showed us that there was no stopping the Abbot Bros. from playing pulverizing metal. Any Pantera fans who have not checked out this album should do so right away.

Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge" - Vulgar video - A*vision/ATCO

A great live video from their first tour.

Judas Priest - "Hell Bent For Leather" - Mtv Presents Rock in Rio

Another favorite band of Dimebag's and mine. You can't go wrong listening to the Priest.

Pantera - "Planet Caravan" - Far Beyond Driven - EastWest

An awesome cover of the old Sabbath song. A fully CG video of terraforming a planet. While it pales to the CG of today, 10 years ago it was pretty impressive. Check this one out.

Thanks to the wonders of the VCR, the remaining minutes of this presentation was cut off. It showed Vinny reflecting on his brother and how he's been dealing with the past year. Sorry everyone for my sub-par review.

Next week's guest: Trivium! :headbang:

His influence will be felt forever. And he was the most genuine, kindest guy you ever met. - Zakk Wylde

He really did put his family and friends first, and for him everyone was his family - Scott Ian, Anthrax

With all of his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART! - Vinny Paul

r.i.p.

"Dimebag" Darrel Lance Abbot

8/20/66 - 12/8/04

• 3 weeks later...

12-17-05

Tonight’s guest: Trivium

Fireball Ministry – “Sundown” - Their Rock is Not Our Rock – Liquor and Poker

I really have to agree with bmc’s opinion of this band. There’s something about Fireball Ministry that is irresistible. Ever since I heard “King" off their last album, I have been intrigued by them. Solid metal playing and a voice reminiscent of Ozzy makes this band work. Check out the video at their site or on Mtv2.com.

A Life Once Lost - "Rehashed" - Hunter - Ferret

More Tasmanian toilet-bowl turmoil from this band. Drop the label and the vocal style guys. It’s not working.

At All Cost ”Death to Distraction”It’s Time To Decide – Combat/Koch

Whoa! Metal meets Daft Punk meets Bay City Rollers. What in the hell is this? This is freaking scary. This is the worst mix of metal musical styles I have ever heard. This may be a premature worst song of the week. Interesting political video, but come on. Scare yourself early for Halloween with this one. Or better yet…do not listen….At all cost(s)!

Sinai Beach – “To The Church” – Immersed - Victory

An applausable effort for this band on this one. Hear typical sounds of Killswitch along with a bit of Danzig vocals. A bit of programming is thrown in there too. Best song of the night thus far.

As I Lay Dying“Through Struggle” - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

Another great song from this band. Really dig the drum work and the background vocalist. An all-around great metal song and video. Check them out!

Trivium - "Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

See review 9/24/05 :strumma:

Check out the video here:

WM Hi

WM Med

WM Low

Horse The Band“Birdo” The Mechanical Hand – Combat/Koch

System of a Down meets At All Cost (see previous entry). Another Ultra-bizarre band/song/video. The break in the middle is about the only good part. Dunno what Mtv2 be smokin’, but it must be fine stuff.

Most Precious Blood“Shark Ethic”Merciless – Trustkill

Major epic opening. I like it so far. I hope it can sustain. Oh mannn… Spaz-Mod the singer. He is about to spoil this. Hint of old Metallica in some of the rhythm breaks. The music saves this one. Not that much from Trustkill I care for, but this one just might cut it.

Bullet for My Valentine“Hand of Blood’Hand of Blood – Trustkill

I think Trustkill has a penache for the art of whining. Musically, this one was tolerable, but the whining has got to go. Kudos to the background growls, but this dual singing thing is getting old.

Ringworm“Justice Replaced By Revenge” Justice Replaced By Revenge – Victory

I think I’d rather have ringworms. This guy needs to take a crap. Bad. Nice chicks in the video, though.

A Dozen Furies - "The Cycle" - A Concept From Fire - Sanctuary/Divine

See review 10/1/05

Into the Moat - "Empty Shell" - The Design - Metal Blade

See review 11/19/05

The Black Dahlia Murder – "A Vulgar Picture" - Miasma - Metal Blade

See review 7/23/05

Children of Bodom “In Your Face”Are You Dead Yet? - Spinefarm

Great beginning. I’m beginning to enjoy more and more of this band. They keyboards add a nice touch to this one (unlike other ones mentioned in this post). The keyboard playing is reminiscent of Tony MacAlpine from the Vinny Moore days. Pick of the week. :good job:

Killswitch Engage - "A Bid Farewell" - {Set this} World Ablaze (DVD) - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

Scars of Tomorrow – “The Constant Horror of Reality” – The Horror of Realization – Victory

Another scream-fest. Nothing moving about this. The Constant Horror of Reality indeed. Check out the horror here.

See review 10/15/05

Norma Jean - "Absentimental" - O' God, The Aftermath - Solid State

See review 9/24/05

Sevendust – “Ugly” – Next – Winedark

First single off the new album. Similar to “praise” off the last album. Not too bad, but local radio is playing the hell out of it. Check out the video on the Mtv2 website.

God Forbid - "The End of the World" - IV: The Constitution of Treason - Century Media

See review 11/19/05

See review 10/1/05

Five.Bolt.Main - "Pathetic" - Venting - Rock Ridge

See review 8/13/05

Chimaira - "Nothing Remains" - Chimaira - Roadrunner

See review 9/24/05

Aborted“Dead Wreckoning”The Archaic Abattoir - Olympic

Morbid Angel reborn! (with a touch of hardcore) Blisteringly fast and totally unintelligible! W00h00! The vocals are iffy but it musically sears your skin. Might have to hear more on this one.

See review 9/24/05

MuDvAyNe – “Forget to Remember” – Lost and Found – Epic/Treadstone

Another great track from the Lost and Found album. From my understanding (from a coworker actually) I heard this album wasn’t too up to par. I have a bad feeling the two latest singles may be the cream of the crop. I’ll have to get around to listening to the rest of the album. This particular song can be found on the Saw 2 soundtrack. The video has sequences from the movie. I still have to see the first movie.

See review 10/8/05

See review 10/15/05

Death By Stereo - "Entomed We Collide" - Death for Life - Epitaph

See review 8/13/05

Dillinger Escape Plan - "Unretrofied" - Miss Machine - Relapse

See review 10/8/05

Nodes of Ranvier – “Glass Half Nothing” – The Years to Come – Facedown

Oh no. Not another drummer that sings background vocals. This song had potential. Meh. Sign in to Yahoo Launchcast to check out their video.

Cephalic Carnage“Dying Will be the Death of Me”Anomalies – Relapse

Now there’s a metal title if I’ve ever seen one. How many singers does this band have? Geesh. Overall, none too impressive. Just another outfit.

Next week: Dillinger Escape Plan. (Not sure if this accurate. The show took a 3-week holiday break.)

1/7/06

Tonight’s Guest: Chimaira

Think I missed a song here. Not used to the new schedule. Oops.

See review 12/17/05

Shadows Fall - "Enlightened by the Cold" - The War Within - Century Media

Good live video of another great track from their latest album.

Amon Amarth“In Pursuit of Vikings”Fate of Norns – Metal Blade

This song completely rocks. Makes we want to eat like a barbarian and dance like a fool. Seriously though. This is some good Swedish metal. Along the lines of Bathory.

Scars of Tomorrow – “The Constant Horror of Reality” – The Horror of Realization – Victory

See review 12/17/05 http://www.myspace.com/sot

Soulfly - “Frontlines” – Dark Ages - Roadrunner

Max Cavalera kicks ass. Every video seems to have a political agenda about it. A brutal, in-your-face cut from one of metal's best. Check out the video here:

WM Lo

WM Med

WM Hi

Chimaira - "Nothing Remains" - Chimaira - Roadrunner

See review 9/24/05

See review 11/19/05

Napalm Death - "Silence is Deafening" - The Code is Red...Long Live the Code - Century Media

See review 9/24/05

See review 10/15/05

Unearth - "Endless" - The Oncoming Storm - Metal Blade

See review 7/23/05

Nodes of Ranvier – “Glass Half Nothing” – The Years to Come – Facedown

See review 12/17/05

Soilent Green“Leaves of Three”Confrontation - Relapse

This sounds just like the last song except for the blastbeat portions. An ok song.

See review 9/24/05

The 69 Eyes – “Lost Boys” – Devils – Virgin/EMI

Mix Type O Negative, Elvis and LA Guns and you've got The 69 Eyes. Oh, now I see why. This video is brought to you courtesy of Bam Margera. Viva La Bam! I’ve heard better. You can check out the video on their website.

Manntis - "Axe of Redemption" - Sleep in Your Grave - Century Media

See review 10/8/05

See review 10/15/05

See review 11/19/05

The Bled - "My Assassin" - Found in the Flood - Vagrant

See review 10/1/05

Next week’s guest: 10 Years!

1/14/06

Tonight's Guest: 10 Years

See review 12/17/05

Horse The Band“Birdo” The Mechanical Hand – Combat/Koch

See review 12/17/05

10 Years in the studio. The Autumn Effect is the name of their new album. The band originates from Tennesee - Currently touring with Korn and Mudvayne. They'll be in my neck of the valley the middle of next month. "Wasteland" was shot in LA in the summer of '05. They will be shooting another version of the song. Might just be another video. Influences for the band are Metallica, The Doors and Pantera.

See review 12/17/05

King Diamond - "The Family Ghost" - Abigail - Roadrunner

Finally! - Some good old-time metal. This is the song and the album that got me hooked onto King. I loved this album and song back in the late 80s. The guitarwork from Andy LaRoque is always chilling and melodic. Check this artist's older work out first if you haven't already done so.

See review 12/17/05

The Black Dahlia Murder – "A Vulgar Picture" - Miasma - Metal Blade

See review 7/23/05

See review 9/24/05

See review 12/17/05

Every Time I Die"Kill The Music"Gutter Phenomenon – Ferret

See review 10/1/05

Six Feet Under - "Deathklaat" - 13 - Metal Blade

Here's some hardcore death metal for you. Cannibal Corpse's Chris Barnes' side project. Mix Cookie Monster with a bit of TV static, throw in some unholy rhythm and guitarwork, and you've gone 6 feet under. With a album called 13, you know it's gotta be evil.

See review 11/19/05

Deicide - "Scars of the Crucifix - Scars of the Crucifix - Earache

Whoa! Major Satanic Death Metal night! Glen Benton and Co. singing the praises of all that is ungodly. Seeing the recurring theme going on here tonight, I may have to nominate this as the song of the week.

With Honor - "Like Trumpets" - This is Our Revenge - Victory

From the best pick to the worst pick. I hope the duration of this one is as short as the last song. Looks like more NY Hardcore. Been there, done that.

See review 12/17/05

A Life Once Lost - "Rehashed" - Hunter - Ferret

See review 12/17/05

See review 10/1/05

Yngwie Malmsteen - "I'll See the Light Tonight" - Marching Out -

Another Classic! Great stuff. This guy can shred. Oh the memories. Lol @ the whole medieval/dungeon setting. I think I saw this set at Knott's Berry Farm (Buena Park, CA...near Disneyland).

Machine Head - "Seasons Wither" - Elegies - Roadrunner

See review 11/19/05

Ringworm“Justice Replaced By Revenge” Justice Replaced By Revenge – Victory

See review 12/17/05

• 2 weeks later...

1/21/06

Tonight's Guest: Bleeding through

Stretch Armstrong - "The Sound of Names Dropping" - Free at Last - EastWest/WPO

Nice acoustic intro. An alright song. Plenty of rhythm changes. Cheesy lyrics. Meh. You can hear the song when the website loads and check out the video there.

At All Cost ”Death to Distraction”It’s Time To Decide – Combat/Koch

See review 12-17-05

Bleeding Through in the studio. The Truth is their latest album that they are supporting. They included a ballad on the new album. It was a song they had just jammed at practice and decided to include it on the album. The latest video is based on a horror movie, actually a culmination of many of the latest horror movies such as House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. They are currently headlining with Every Time I Die.

Bloodsimple - "Falling "Backwards - Bloodsimple - Reprise/Bullygoat

Wow. Two screamers that shout and suck equally. Rename alert: Sucksimple. Props to the bassist. Seems to have a Mastadon-like heavy sound going. Check out the song and video at the site.

See review 12/17/05

You can view the video here:

QuickTime (high) 15.7 MB

QuickTime (med) 7.06 MB

QuickTime (low) 2.59 MB

Bleeding Through - "Kill to Believe" - The Truth - Trustkill

A decent track up until the pre-chorus or chorus, Great guitarwork and drumming. Pretty creepy video.

Reviewer's note - Mtv2 seems to be slacking with the artist information this week. The current video right here has no title. All I can say was it was fast. The singer screams. Seemed to have a classically-influenced beginning. That's about it.

Disturbed - "Just Stop" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

Another great track from their latest album. Video is of live footage from their tour. You can see the Artists Mod on Yahoo Lauchcast, but you'll need to have a Yahoo account. I think this version was actually done better than the Video MOds done on Mtv2. Check the website to watch the live video.

See review 10/8/05

Another unnamed video. There's a banner behind the drummer, but the text is hard to read and the damn camera keeps changing. It almost looks like "Slam." Basically a fast punk song with some decent guitar playing. Seem to have an old-school Metallica style of playing to them. Might be called "Scam." Or possibly even "Spam"...

Shadows Fall - "Enlightened by the Cold" - The War Within - Century Media

See review 1/7/06

Sepultura - "Refuse/Resist" - Live in Sao Paolo - SPV America

This live version sucks. The original sung by Max Cavalera was much better. I really enjoyed the Chaos A.D. album. I forget who's left from the original band here. Maybe just the drummer, Max's brother Igor.

Damn. They cut the show short for a Mastodon special. Oh well. Until next week.

Next week's guest: Bury Your Dead

1/28/06

Tonight's Guest: Bury Your Dead

See review 12-17-05

Unearth - "Endless" - The Oncoming Storm - Metal Blade

See review 7/23/05

Bury Your Dead in the studio - Bury Your Dead Alive CD and DVD in stores now. Song called "Magnolia" named after the movie that Tom Cruise starred in. They appreciate that he approches everything he does with great intensity. Dunno if that's necessarily a good thing, but hey, whatever inspires you.

Static-X - "Dirthouse" - Start A War - Warner Bros.

Nice catchy groove on this one. So far the album is sounding pretty good. Seems to be much better now that Koichi is in the band. A great track. Check out the video on the website.

Deftones – “Bored” – Adrenalin – Maverick

An alright song remiscent of "Change (In the House of Flies)." I've never thought of these guys as exhilerating, but they can put out some good music now and then. Nice screaming finish to the song. You can check out the video on the site.

See review 11-19-05

Soulfly - “Frontlines” – Dark Ages - Roadrunner

See review 1-7-06

Bury Your Dead - "Magnolia" - Cover Your Tracks - Victory

Musically reminds me of modern day Cro-mags. A tolerable song. Interesting guitar textures.

See review 11/19/05

Strapping Young Lad - "Zen" - Alien - Century Media

Holy shit the double kicks on this one! A typical scream-fest from Devin Townsend and company, This song is pretty brutal. The speed of drummer Gene Hoglan is amazing. While this song seems to have a bit more flair than previous songs (keyboardist, performance video, etc...), it's still great.

Slipknot - "The Nameless" - 9.0: Live - Roadrunner

This was the first less-than-enjoyable song from the last studio album. While this is taken from the new live album, it doesn't appear to have as much gusto as the previous singles. Dunno if it's the ballady chorus, or just the song altogether. I need to check out the original version.

See review 12-17-05

Marilyn Manson – "The Dope Show" - M3CH4N1C4L 4N1M4L5 - Nothing/Interscope

Great song and album. Not-so-great-looking androgynous Manson. Like how they edited out "queers" from the song, but titles like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is an OK Thing. Whatever floats your boat, Mtv(2). Odd happenings at the website. Dunno if it's a hoax or the real thing. You be the judge!

Behemoth - "Slaves Shall Serve" - Demigod - Century Media

An Aural Assualt by this great speed/death metal act. Most horrific (in a good way) song of the night. Actually makes Strapping Young Lad look like amatuers. No, you can't understand a single word from the singer, but this song does test the limits of metal intensity. Link to the song does not appear to be working at this time.

Calico System - "They Live" - They Live - Eulogy

Yes they do indeed live. Another candidate for the worst song of the week. Even having a versatile guitarist isn't enough to save this yawn-fest. But the bound hottie in the video sure makes it interesting. But not enough. Check out the video at the website. thumbsdown

See review 12-17-05

See review 12-17-05

Megadeth - "Peace Sells" - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - Capitol/Combat

Hell yeah!

"What do you mean I don't believe in God?

I think this was the song that started it all for me. For 20 years now, I never tire of listening to this song or 99% of the rest of Megadeth's music. A must for the Megadeth fan and nearly any metalhead of the mid-80s. Song of the week! :good job:

see review 12-17-05

See review 9/24/05

Next week's guest: Exodus!