SP 2

Meehowski

Do you plan to install XP's SP2?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to install XP's SP2?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet

Have you tried to connect with Bittorrent yet?

Oh yeah.....I "patched" my system!

There is a "patch out and , please use CableNut to "tweak" your settings!!

Be well............I'll put the links up .............Laterr!!

Oh yeah.....I "patched" my system!

There is a "patch out and , please use CableNut to "tweak" your settings!!

Be well............I'll put the links up .............Laterr!!

Actually after reading that whole thread and many others it seems like there isn't an issue at all. Most people are believing that SP2 will only allow 10 connections at any given time.... but from what I'm reading it looks like SP2 just limits you to 10 new connections PER SECOND. If that's the case then I don't see any problems at all... it should work just fine. After all over the life of a huge file on BT, it seems like I would only connect to maybe 30 people tops at any given time... I think I can wait the 3 seconds.

It should be fine with ICF off

Hey MI, can you elaborate on this a bit? Does this have to do with their new firewall software? What does ICF mean?

Edited by cjules13

Hey MI, can you elaborate on this a bit? Does this have to do with their new firewall software? What does ICF mean?

I can't elaborate this simply because I don't know if it's true or not (and I can't find any sources to back it up). As a matter of fact, i'm lead to believe that the connection limiting problem has not to do with the firewall itself, but of physical changes and restrictions put into XP by SP2, namely, registry entries (which, according to some, can be modified). Someone released an automated tool to do this (it mods the registry) but I don't know if it works and in all cases.

ICF stands for "Internet Connection Firewall". This has been present prior to SP2 but as I understand it, SP2 installs a new Windows firewall, which i'm told can be turned off.

In my personal opinion, there are just too many problems with SP2.......

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1637609,00.asp

I use a software firewall (Outpost), Trojan Hunter, Spybot and adaware, PestPatrol, MalWhere, Avast antivirus, and Trend Micro's online virus scan; and to top it all off, I'm behind a router and I don't use IE (I use Mozilla Firefox, up-to-date). In addition, I don't use Outlook express or any e-mail client as such and i'm patched up besides the SP2 update. I use web based e-mail from Yahoo.

I don't see any reason to install SP2 as of yet. Perhaps they'll clear up some of these issues and offer a revised SP2. That would be the right thing to do, instead of saying "ok, we're done; take it or leave it". What kind of bullshit would that be?

no BSOD's

I wouldn't imagine it would in any event (even if it screwed things up).

This is Windows XP we're talking about.

Even if you did get a Blue Screen of Death, you wouldn't see it. You'd have to look in a system event log or something (from what I remember).

Sorry Cjules - I don't even remember posting that - or in this thread at all, but I guess it is trueish. (I've changed my password just in case!)

Bittorrent will be fine with ICF (as Ken says, Internet Connection Firewall) as long as it is set up to handle it. The old ICF needed setting up as well, but it was off by default, so it wasn't such a big issue.

I haven't looked in to setting up BT with SP2, but I should update my guide at ZP with it at some time.

If I did make that post, I guess that is was I meant.

I've been running SP2 on Xp Pro. Corp. for about a month now with no issues. That I care about anyways. (Dreamweaver didn't work)

The Firewall and virus thingy they ahve will come in handy for people that don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

It's great to finally be able to go to the Windows update page and have nothing to download. :P

I've got it running on an old test computer. No problems yet but I am still skeptical about putting it on my main system as it is used for a business. I dont wanna take any chances until SP2 is out for a while to see if any bugs show up.

I already run a Sygate firewall and I'm sure that Microsoft's new one wont be as good.

post-88-1093876971.gif

• 2 months later...
Nope, No and Nada.......I'm running 98SE, don't like XP....tried it, didn't like it.

I'm old fashioned, what can I say.......

nothing wrong with that...i multiboot win98se quite a bit because there are certain aspects of xp and/or win2k that i don`t like.....stability and memory management can be a problem in 98se but the release of the unofficial windows98se service pack 6 has taken care of a lot of those problems....

post-88-1100665350.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

• 1 month later...

Can someone get me up to speed on what "connections" yall are trying to make using the SP2? This was preinstalled on my computer when I got it last weekend from Bestbuy. So far I don't have a problem, but I am new to XP and I just started looking into the firewall protection it offers. I just want to make sure that I am as protected as I can possibly be.

Do you like that XP offers remote assistance to allow someone to fix your pc or a friend to see your screens and fix the pc? Is that secure?

:lol:

Totally with you. :)

Thanks Caroline. I will look into that.