Is music safe on compact disc?

Umma

Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms was the first million-selling CD

Compact discs were sold as the durable alternative to vinyl - but anyone who opens the case of an ageing CD may be in for a nasty surprise.

Earlier this year, US web designer Dan Koster found 15% of his 2,000 CDs had begun to rot, and were unplayable and worthless as a result.

Holding his CDs up to the light, he said: "I was shocked to see a constellation of pinpricks, little points where the light was coming through the aluminium layer."

As we increasingly convert CD tracks for use on portable digital players and copy songs and photos onto CDs, there is renewed interest in the format's longevity. What causes CDs to deteriorate, and how wide is the problem?

Read the rest here

I have a few CD's I bought in the 1980's that still play perfectly... and some later ones, I've had to redo onto a new disk. CD's are like anything else... if you look after them they last longer.... and manufacturing flaws are naturally going to reduce their longevity.

I have a few CD's I bought in the 1980's that still play perfectly... and some later ones, I've had to redo onto a new disk. CD's are like anything else... if you look after them they last longer.... and manufacturing flaws are naturally going to reduce their longevity.

HI UMMA

the way we store a CD is very important some CD,s are theyre whole life in a car or in the window in the sun and heat thats not a good way to give a CD a long life

also vinyl singles an lp,s the same story

its not very cheep to buy CD,s so i will say give them a good place in the dark thats the best way to keep them alive

and i have not any problem with any C D and i have a lot from them

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE