Somebody is doing it right!

nate

they might be giants started their own online music store, but without the DRM bullshit of the major labels

pure unadulterated 256 LAME mp3 at a buck a track (9.99 an album) complete with pdf album art

they are selling a selection of their newest albums, but also their most recent live shows (with free samples)

i love TMBG, and i hope this setup works well for them

http://theymightbedownloads.com

Edited by nate

Your positive post towards pay for music actually caught me by surprise, Nate. I think the cost is still too high as their distributions costs are nil, and its hard to say what promotion costs will be given their large and loyal fan base-- but its a step in the right direction. As you have correctly surmised, DRM will never work - too many different proprietary competitors and everything can be cracked - and its nice to see they dont need the RIAA.

TMBG have never had significant industry support

if they can make some money off of this setup, i'm all for it, because maybe some other groups will do it too. unlike itunes etc. where the money goes to the RIAA , this goes to the band

by selling a cd, they get a buck--by selling an online album they can make significantly more than that--they paid their dues for 20 years, i think they deserve it (plus the cd costs 16, and the online is 10, but since they give you a pdf of covers, there is no real difference)

(i gave them $14.98)

Edited by nate

i havent heard anything by TMBG except a single which was popular here a while back - "birdhouse in your soul".

What are their best albums?

apollo 18 is my favorite

flood is also good, that's where "birdhouse" comes from

their stuff is so diverse, there is something interesting on all of the albums

(there is a 2 disc "greatest hits" called "30 years of dial a song", a good sample)