Product Recommendation.

HolyMoly

I've been thinking about getting a new computer and have my eye on THIS ONE. Beyond that, I'd be getting a new monitor and replacing that DVD-ROM/CDRW with a dual burner (DVD and CDRW). Before doing that, I'd like some advice since my technical acumen in this area is limited. First, what are the disadvantages of an Athlon system as compared to a Pentium system? Secondly, what is the difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW? Don't they both play on DVD players ... or do DVD players favor one format over another?

Disadvantages to Athlon?

- They run hot, make sure you don't cheap out on the cooling. Other than that I'd say they beat the hell out of Intel. (And that's saying a bit with the steps Intel has made since their P4's hit market.

DVD +/-

- Sadly they are not the same. It's like being left handed or right, each could argue superiority. They biggest difference is the player you plan to play them in. If it doesn't specifically boast that it can play one or the other, the majority of standalones will more likely play the - disks.

I just picked up an LG dual format burner, so it'll burn either format regardless. So far I'm sticking to - media, because I don't have a 1 1/2 year old DVD player, and it wasn't a big stat then.

multi-format DVD burner

Thanks. If I get that Athlon, I'll make sure I have a good fan-set onboard. And, there are some inexpensive dual-burners out there ... but I'd probably burn in the "-" format like you. I've heard other people say it's friendlier but wanted confirmation from someone who burns DVDs.

One more question. How much can you burn on one blank DVD-R disk, timewise?

P.S. BTW, I clicked on the "where to buy" button to find the model you have and there's only one store in my local area that sells it. Fortunately (grin), it happens to be well known as the cheapest place in my area to buy computer peripherals. I'll check out their price for it.

As far as I can see, DVD's aren't measured the same as cdr's that way. Most will hold a few hours of stuff. Some of my movies required two disks to back up, but with those it was a matter of having a number of special features on the disk.

Minus the special features, most of my movies fit.