The Outlaws

desdemona

well I guess this is one of those bands where "guess you had to be there",although alot of you have heard "green grass and high tides", the outlaws were a great band to see live, they played backup for the allman brothers in the seventies but soon became a headliner playing my area many times, it was always thrilling to see each lead guitar player (there were3) step up and join the other at the edge of the front stage, with the bass all 4 playing so fast and hard in sync it was a blast. I have all their early albums, one of my favorites was the self-titled "outlaws" below a short review.

By the mid-'70s, Southern bands seemed be making a last stand for rock & roll, with two- and three-guitar lineups and not a keyboard in sight. The Outlaws' self-titled debut was released in 1975, a few years after the Allman Brothers Band's greatest glories and a couple of years before the untimely demise of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Outlaws latched onto their Southern heritage by way of Florida, threw in some harmony by way of the Eagles, and then wrote a number of songs that played to their strengths. The result was — and is — a good classic rock & roll album. Several of the Outlaws' best songs are present here, including "There Goes Another Love Song," "Green Grass and High Tides," and "Song for You." Hughie Thomasson only sings lead on these three songs, but since two of them were the best-known Outlaw songs, it is his voice that is most associated with the band. It's fun to hear cuts like "Song for You" and "Knoxville Girl," which never received a lot of radio play. "Keep Prayin'," sung by Henry Paul and Billy Jones, is a fine piece of Southern boogie with high soaring harmony on the chorus. Although "Green Grass and High Tides" has been played a million and six times on album-oriented rock stations, it nonetheless deserves mention. Created in the tradition of the Allman Brothers Band's "Dreams" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird," the song still sounds fresh in the context of the album, and doesn't feel long at its nearly ten-minute length. The Outlaws' debut blew a fresh blast of rock & roll onto a scene increasingly dominated by synthesizers and dance music. It will leave the listener singing along and dreaming about the good ol' days. — Ronnie Lankford Jr.

1. There Goes Another Love Song (Thomasson/Yoho/Yoho) - 3:06

2. Song for You (Hones/Jones/Thomasson) - 3:34

3. Song in the Breeze (Paul) - 3:07

4. If Follows from Your Heart (Jones) - 5:22

5. Cry No More (Jones) - 4:21

6. Waterhole (Outlaws [1]) - 2:06

7. Stay With Me (Paul) - 3:32

8. Keep Prayin' (O'Keefe/OKeefe) - 2:46

9. Knoxville Girl (Paul) - 3:32

10. Green Grass and High Tides (Thomasson

post-38-1089260882.jpg

I had never paid too much attention to The Outlaws or any southern rock when I was growing up, I had heard Can't Ya See by The Mashall Tucker Band and Cry Some More by The Outlaws on the radio, some Skynyrd but I was more into the glam rock kinda music......Starz, Sweet, T Rex and so on. One day I was in a record shop and picked up The Outlaws Ghost Riders album and brought it home and gave it a listen.....I was hooked, still listen to that album......all those pops and crackles are there but it still sounds good.

Edited by Cerebral_Assassin

I missed them by a few years.....(not many at all actually), but when I really want to let loose and sing at the top of my lungs when no one is around....YOU ARE THE SHOW....is the best......and Green Grass and High Tides is a great song to clean your house to......LOL

The Outlaws, The Band, Marshall Tucker and .38 Special, the Little River Band, Pure Prairie League were all really great bands....

Not many people remember .38 Special, before the 80's hits they had.