The mission of Three Dog Night

Cerebral_Assassin

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- "One" was a pretty good number for Three Dog Night.

The band had three No. 1 singles in the early '70s -- "Mama Told Me Not to Come," "Joy to the World" and "Black and White." The band was perhaps the No. 1 chart group of that time, with 21 Top Forty hits between 1969 and 1974. And then, of course, "One," the Harry Nilsson song, became its first Top Ten hit. (It peaked at No. 5.)

story.classic.3dn.jpg

But "One," as Nilsson wrote, is a pretty lonely number, too. Because, even though Three Dog Night was on top of the world for a time, the band finds little respect nowadays.

Read more here.... http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/2...ight/index.html

From 1969-1974, nobody had more Top 10 hits, moved more records, or sold more concert tickets. During this period Three Dog Night was undoubtedly the most popular band in America: twenty-one consecutive Top 40 hits and twelve straight gold LPs. By late '75, they had sold nearly 50 million records.

Pieces Of April

Three Dog Night

April gave us springtime and the promise of the flowers

And the feeling that we both shared and the love that we called ours

We had no time for sadness, that's a road we each had crossed

We were living a time meant for us, and even when it would rain

we would laugh it off.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet

I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May

We stood on the crest of summer, beneath an oak that blossemed green

Feelings as I did in April, not really knowing what it means

But it must be there that you stand beside me now to make me feel this way

Just as I did in April, but it's a morning in May.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet

I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May

Edited by Cerebral_Assassin

• 1 year later...
I still like to kick back and listen to TDN every now and then, especially the song "Pieces Of April", probably one of the best ballads ever recorded.

4sure.

I like them so well that I bought a cd. As cheap as I am that's saying a lot. :lol:

Now if I can only shake loose of enough money to buy a cd player. :huh:

I like most of their stuff. Out In The Country is very good. Till The World Ends is good too. It was their last top 40 hit, reaching 32 on the Billboard charts.

Here is a list of their charting material. The formatting looses something in the copy paste process but it is title/artist/billboard chart position/year.

Easy to Be Hard  Three Dog Night 4 1969

Eli's Coming  Three Dog Night 10 1969

One  Three Dog Night 5 1969

Try A Little Tenderness  Three Dog Night 29 1969

Celebrate  Three Dog Night 15 1970

Mama Told Me (Not to Come)  Three Dog Night 1 1970

Out In the Country  Three Dog Night 15 1970

An Old Fashioned Love Song  Three Dog Night 4 1971

Joy to the World  Three Dog Night 1 1971

Liar  Three Dog Night 7 1971

Never Been to Spain  Three Dog Night 5 1971

One Man Band  Three Dog Night 19 1971

Black and White  Three Dog Night 1 1972

Pieces of April  Three Dog Night 19 1972

The Family of Man  Three Dog Night 12 1972

Let Me Serenade You  Three Dog Night 17 1973

Shambala  Three Dog Night 3 1973

Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)  Three Dog Night 33 1974

Sure As I'm Sittin' Here  Three Dog Night 16 1974

The Show Must Go On  Three Dog Night 4 1974

'Til the World Ends  Three Dog Night 32 1975

they were a fabrication

take a few frontmen, add some session musicians, and then add songs by the best writers in the business (randy newman, nilsson, hoyt axton, alain toussantetc.) mix, and sell to radio promoters

now they are all dead broke because they had no songwriter royalties, and the music they made is owned by the label

they are currently exactly where n'sync is on their way to

Edited by nate

they were a fabrication

take a few frontmen, add some session musicians, and then add songs by the best writers in the business (randy newman, nilsson, hoyt axton, alain toussantetc.) mix, and sell to radio promoters

now they are all dead broke because they had no songwriter royalties, and the music they made is owned by the label

Thanx for the illumination - pretty good songwriters behind them, though

frank zappa used to make fun of them in a bit called "do you like my new car?"

you can hear one version on live at the fillmore '71

it's a back and forth between musicians and groupies, and the groupies always mentioned a 3 dogger as their favorite conquest

frank zappa used to make fun of them in a bit called "do you like my new car?"

you can hear one version on live at the fillmore '71

it's a back and forth between musicians and groupies, and the groupies always mentioned a 3 dogger as their favorite conquest

I used to have that album, but the reference went right over my head. What's your favorite Zappa album I like The Grand Wazoo

I used to have that album, but the reference went right over my head.  What's your favorite Zappa album      I like The Grand Wazoo

i used to listen to sheik yerbouti a lot

the lost episodes has a lot of interesting stuff

Edited by nate

Three Dog Night was all over the radio for about 5 years. I never cared for them although I did like "Easy To Be Hard" from the musical, Hair. "Joy To The World" was out right after I came out of the Army. I hated that song! "Jeremiah was a bullfrog!" What a stupid line. Yet, it is the one line from their catalog that has survived. I would be driving down the road in my car, and that song would come on the radio. I turned it off everytime. It is amazing that a group could be as big as Three Dog Night was and totally disappear as if they never existed. I know their lead singer went through hell although I have not looked into the details.

http://www.jimcolyer.com

post-38-1129603525.jpg