Bill Cosby Speaks Out Again

billcosby.jpgPosted 7/2/2004 7:16 AM Updated 7/2/2004 9:21 AM

Cosby has more tough love for black community

CHICAGO (AP) ? Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children.

By M. Spencer Green, AP

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n??? as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

read the entire article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2004-07-02-cosby-comments_x.htm

A lot of what he says is true, sadly.

I've viewed the "black community" as an observer for quite some time. I've seen the youth of their ethnicity; hell, I went to school with them; some are good friends of mine. I live in a very well mixed community and have been a detached, non-biased, non emotional computer almost, for years just observing and analyzing. It's not their ethnicity; it's the culture that derives from the ethnicity; that is somehow tied in.

It all starts at home. Sadly, there is a very high percentage of single parent situations, even higher than I’ve seen among other ethnicities, and I’ve seen mothers who are in fact just criminals themselves; abusing their children, neglecting to be a parent, and of course drug abuse.

I think the main problem first and foremost is being able to approach the problem altogether, without attracting the rhetorical "racist" talisman, which is, 99% of the time, unfounded and untrue altogether, and in place to, in fact, hide the truth.

This is a very deep-rooted and, in my opinion, impossible problem. It is a cycle that unfortunately, the majority of the youth are continuing because of their parenting, or should I say lack thereof.

Human beings start to learn and become who they are at a very early age. Who is there to guide them? Their inadequate parents. The community, government, and other people can help, but unless there is some help from the parents, it isn't going to cut it. It’s not an all or nothing thing, it’s a “not enough” thing, and anyone other than the parents can only fill a certain percentage; you need the whole thing to happen.

Cosby is a very sad man and I feel his pain.