emerson, lake & palmer

desdemona

One of my favorite albums from the seventies was "trilogy", I saw elp in concert, I was just amazed by the sound, huge pipe organ, I was awestruck by the whole experience, they were playing in civic arena in pittsburgh at the time, and it was nightime, the dome was open, and when they performed "lucky man", it just gave you chills, the reverberation was perfect. Anyways a short biography for those that aren't familiar with them.

After the heavily distorted bass and doomsday church organ of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's debut album, the exhilarating prog rock of epic proportions on Tarkus, and the violent removal of the sacred aura of classical tunes on Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy, ELP's fourth album, features the trio settling down in more crowd-pleasing pastures. Actually, the group was gaining in maturity what they lost in raw energy. Every track on this album has been carefully thought, arranged, and performed to perfection, a process that also included some form of sterilization. Greg Lake's acoustic ballad "From the Beginning" put the group on the charts for a second time. The adaptation of Aaron Copland's "Hoedown" also yielded a crowd-pleaser. Prog rock fans had to satisfy themselves with the three-part "The Endless Enigma" and "Trilogy," both very strong but paced compositions. By 1972, Eddie Offord's recording and producing techniques had reached a peak. He provided a lush, comfy finish to the album that made it particularly suited for living-room listening and the FM airwaves. Yet the material lacks a bit of excitement. Trilogy still belongs to ELP's classic period and should not be overlooked. For newcomers to prog rock it can even make a less-menacing point of entry. — François Couture

1. The Endless Enigma, Pt. 1

2. Fugue

3. The Endless Enigma, Pt. 2

4. From the Beginning

5. The Sheriff

6. Hoedown(coplan)

7. Trilogy

8. Living Sin

9. Abaddon's Bolero

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aeza9qj5bojda

post-38-1088728484.jpg

an excellent band...tarkus is my fav..........all skilled musicians. ....... i used to listen to the earlier incarnation , the nice.....brilliant music..it should be remembered that carl palmer is also regarded as one of the best drummers in the world and, now i think of it should also have been listed in the best drummer poll as well......

post-38-1089346269.jpg

it should be remembered that carl palmer is also regarded as one of the best drummers in the world and, now i think of it should also have been listed in the best drummer poll as well......

Tank

-------------------

I will never forget the first time I listened to Trilogy. My friend had this incredible audio setup and probably had it turned up to 5. The break from the quiet first part transitioning into that storm of synthesizers...

• 1 year later...