Who's the 2nd best rock guitarist?

Umma

Who's the 2nd best rock guitarist?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the 2nd best rock guitarist?

• Jimi Hendrix
    • Frank Zappa

there can be but one.......

that's the trouble with polls.... it's difficult to choose just one...

and you were absolutely right of course... Zappa should have been on the other list... :)

I think in future polls I'll ask for suggestions... :lol:

or maybe poll the contenders like Ringo to see who gets on the big poll

that'll really bug the non poll people :D

that's the trouble with polls.... it's difficult to choose just one...

and you were absolutely right of course... Zappa should have been on the other list...  :)

As should have Josh Homme

Kyuss!!! :) He hasn't sounded too bad with Queens of The Stone Age either. I love the way that guy plays. Didn't he play through a bass amp with Kyuss to get maximum distortion?

The reasoning behind why I picked Hendrix as number one was his intuitive feel for the guitar and the sounds he could make, his soulful nature coupled with his technique. There is never one quality that makes a person number one.

In fact Zappa may be in some technical ways a bit more advanced. But at least for me, music is of the heart and soul and it takes those qualities to make one the best in my humble opinion. Technique with heart and artistry is what I look at in terms of best.

Clapton is great because he realises that flash does not make the guitar player but the ability to convey emotion and heart. I believe he said in some interview that he in fact attempted to be more gritty, less polished. I think he had that attitude as it is the music he is focused on, not just technique, though interesting enough his approach is still technique from his own experience. The technique of no technique lol...sounds kinda zen.

Also you have to put in perspective that people like Zappa, Hendrix and Clapton who I mention just for perspective. Are not simply great guitar players but inovators. One must put in perspective what came before them to recognise how good they really were.

In the end it's what you enjoy that is best. lol...

peace

And then there are the jazz/rock guitarists... Pat Matheney, John McGlauglin..these guys are no slouches..

I like both Pat Metheny and John McLaughlin.... though Pat Metheny tends to be a bit on the easy listening side of jazz... from what I've heard so far.

• 3 months later...