tom petty and the heartbreakers

desdemona

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are responsible for such infectious songs as "American Girl," and "Don't Do Me Like That," "Free Fallin" and some of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time such as, "Damn the Torpedoes," and "Full Moon Fever." Throughout the years, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have continued earning critical praise and fan adoration for their trademark brand of straight-ahead, American rock 'n' roll and their refusal to compromise their integrity. Along the way, they have become recognized as one of America's greatest rock bands and were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2002, their first year of eligibility.

Any diehard Petty fan will agree that the musical chemistry between Petty and the Heartbreakers is more tangible than that of any other band he has played with (including the Traveling Wilburys, who also featured Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, and George Harrison.

post-38-1088648812.jpg

I like them, but I am really glad that they didn't get Dave Grohl. After Cobain died, Petty begged Grohl to join the Heartbreakers. Grohl toured with them for a bit, then declined the offer. He then went on to the Foo Figheters, which I think was a better choice.

I like them.

My all time favorite would have to be "Free Fallin"

free fallin' is not from a heartbreakers album--full moon fever was a solo project with jeff lynne (though heartbreakers contributed individually to various songs) full moon fever featured the wilburys in fact

Any diehard Petty fan will agree that the musical chemistry between Petty and the Heartbreakers is more tangible than that of any other band he has played with (including the Traveling Wilburys, who also featured Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, and George Harrison.

any die hard petty fan knows that the relationship between petty and the heartbreakers has been tenuous and volatile, members have come and gone (often explosively), and their best work together ended in 1981

full moon fever ushered in a new "music for fun" era (rather than music as contractual obligation) where members freely did other projects, and the later projects (including the wilburys and the petty solo project wildflowers) were a lot better than the stuff made between 1981 and 1989 (and recently for that matter)

Edited by nate

free fallin' is not from a heartbreakers album--full moon fever was a solo project with jeff lynne (though heartbreakers contributed individually to various songs) full moon fever featured the wilburys in fact

True, but I always associate everything with Tom Petty's voice.

So if you want to get technical, i'll just say I like the SONG "Free Fallin".

Thanx for the b.g. on Petty, Nate. I always assumed Full Moon Fever was also a Heartbreakers project. Petty reminds me alot of The Byrds, a band who he sometimes does covers of their songs

i'll just say I like the SONG "Free Fallin".

me too...

Free Fallin' is included on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits, so it looks like they didnt think it important enough to be petty about... :bigsmile:

She's a Woman In Love! Thats my favorite Petty song, then Even the Losers is next!

What albums are they on?

"Even The Losers" is on the album "Damn the Torpedos", "A Woman In Love" is from the album "Hard Promises", I liked his "Wildflowers" album myself,

Wildflowers

You Don't Know How It Feels

Time to Move On

You Wreck Me

It's Good to Be King

Only a Broken Heart

Honey Bee

Don't Fade on Me

Hard on Me

Cabin Down Below

To Find a Friend

A Higher Place

House in the Woods

Crawling Back to You

Wake up Time

... been a tom petty fan forever ... but when i saw him under the stars at the tweeter center, boston ... wow, what a great show ... great night ... he did an acoustic version of "won't back down" ... i had never heard it done like that before ... and was happy i was able to find one for myself ... the whole concert, just great ...

: )

• 4 weeks later...

I too am a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers fan. I have seen them in concert twice, they put a great show.

I too think Tom sometimes sounds like Bob Dylan....

"Wildflowers" is a good cd. My favorite song is "It's Good To Be King".

E6E6E6
101010I0lUOKlxZh

Its Good to Be King - Tom Petty

Tom was great as a Wilbury too........

TTFN :)

I love tom petty and the heartbreakers, she's a woman in love is probably one of my favorites, and there is a CD, I can't remember the title of right now, seems like something with "southern" in it, really good too, I am just to lazy to go to my CD collection and find out the name, I've had both the cassette and CD

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

For what it's worth, one of my favorite Petty tunes is [I]"Night Watchman"[/i], those mentioned are all good though. :D
I always thought he sounded like Roger McGuinn from the Byrds.

Edited by H82typ

[quote name='H82typ' date='28 August 2010 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1283045835' post='190557']
For what it's worth, one of my favorite Petty tunes is [i]"Night Watchman"[/i], those mentioned are all good though. :D I always thought he sounded like Roger McGuinn from the Byrds.
[/quote]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jt2v7GWXXSk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jt2v7GWXXSk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There's a hell of an echo in here...

[quote name='H82typ' date='28 August 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1283060845' post='190564']
There's a hell of an echo in here...
[/quote]

[img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

[quote name='DudeAsInCool' date='29 August 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1283061855' post='190566']
[img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]
:mercy: