Keith Moon is the best in this poll

time to close this poll and the winner is as last greeting Jim Capaldi

Edited by LOST

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a few days ago of his passing.......I think one of the most underrated drummers was Jakson Spires of Blackfoot. If you ever get a chance to hear any recordings of his live solo's then do, there were times when he made it sound like the whole Indian nation was on the warpath. R.I.P Jak.

post-7-1112646975.jpg

SHEILA E : A Drummer Supreme

Sheila Escovedo, a Bay Area native, born December 12, 1957, in Oakland California. First born of Pete and Juanita Escovedo. She has two brothers Juan and Peter Michael, and one sister, Zina. She began playing with the family instruments at the tender age of three. Was highly influenced by her father, Pete Escovedo (then band leader of the infamous Azteca) while watching him rehearse. At the tender age of 5, at the former Sands Ballroom in Oakland, with 3000 audience members in sheer anticipation, little Sheila was invited on stage by her father to play a solo. She was so young, she didn't even know the meaning of the word. Her father instructed her to just play. After an overwhelming response and feeling of heaven on earth, Sheila expressed to her dad that she knew exactly what she wanted to do. She was going to be a percussionist!From age 17, she has recorded and toured extensively with such renowned artists such as George Duke, Billy Cobham, Herbie Hancock, Lionel Richie, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Patti LaBelle, Natalie Cole, Stevie Nicks, Don Was and countless others, but to name a few.She made her debut as a percussionist with jazz pianist George Duke.

The Glamorous Life (single and video) written, performed and directed by Sheila E., was released in the spring of 1984 and almost immediately went on to earn popular and critical acclaim. A multiple Grammy and American Music Award nominee, as well as winning MTV's Best Video Award, The Glamorous Life yielded a hit single in the title track. After three months of sold-out performances in Europe and the United States, Sheila began touring as the opening act for Prince's 1984-85 sold out Purple Rain tour, as well as putting together the concept and music for her follow-up album.

Released in August of 1985, Romance 1600 was a masterful, musical fantasy, replete with Regency-era costumes and another smash single, Love Bizarre. A headlining tour in the spring of '86 was followed by a three month engagement opening for Lionel Richie's sold-out SRO World Tour.

Returning home, she began work immediately on her third album entitled Sheila E. Following with yet another smash single, Hold Me was charted #1 on Billboard. Hold Me had a fast growing international reputation.

Some of her performances have been not only exceptionally entertaining, but very gratifying as a result of various charities she has been involved with. Sheila performed at the Pediatric Aids Foundations 'For the Children.' She performed her rendition of Mary Had a Little Lamb and over 6 million copies of albums and videos of the event were sold.

There were rave reviews in the Los Angeles Times for her riveting performance at the Aids Project Los Angeles benefit with Barbra Streisand, Patti LaBelle, Natalie Cole, Shirley McClain and Liza Minelli. Sheila also performed on Gloria Estefan's smash hit album, Mi Tierra as well as the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta. She took to the stage at the 35th Annual Academy Awards performing with Placido Domingo and also was featured in the all-girl Grammy production number with Ellen Degeneris. She performed at the Concert of the America's, where all the Presidents and their families were in attendance.

Sheila was also honored to be a part of A Celebration of America's Music, benefiting the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz. A celebration hosted by Bill Cosby, she played with such talents as George Benson, Arturo Sandoval, Herbie Hancock, James Moody and Jimmy Health in a special tribute to Dizzy Gillespie.

Sheila E. is indeed a multi-faceted performer, producer, composer, and instrumentalist .

post-7-1112688650.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
i wasted my vote on Animal because all of these other drummers were probably in a mainstream band

Mainstream??

There is life beyond CKY dude. Really...there is.

Animal is a cop-out. Kudos should go to the puppeteer(s).

I broke the tie. Trust me...it is the RIGHT choice.

I agree with Portnoy.

Others to consider:

Lars Ulrich (yes, even with the ego)

Nick Menza

Mark Zonder

Gene Hoglan

John Luke Hébert

Vinny Paul

Peter Criss

Simon Wright

"Wild" Mick Brown

Viinny and Carmine Appice

Raymond Herrera

Pete Sandoval

Morgan Rose

Nicko McBrain

Tommy Lee

Steve Riley

Scott Columbus

Mikkey Dee

Randy Castillo

Bill Ward (not here?? For shame!!)

Scott Rockenfield

Anton Fig

Steve Wacholz

Mainstream??

There is life beyond CKY dude. Really...there is.

Animal is a cop-out. Kudos should go to the puppeteer(s).

I broke the tie. Trust me...it is the RIGHT choice.

I agree with Portnoy.

Others to consider:

Lars Ulrich (yes, even with the ego)

Nick Menza

Mark Zonder

Gene Hoglan

John Luke Hébert

Vinny Paul

Peter Criss

Simon Wright

"Wild" Mick Brown

Viinny and Carmine Appice

Raymond Herrera

Pete Sandoval

Morgan Rose

Nicko McBrain

Tommy Lee

Steve Riley

Scott Columbus

Mikkey Dee

Randy Castillo

Bill Ward (not here?? For shame!!)

Scott Rockenfield

Anton Fig

Steve Wacholz

yeah basiaclly if it aint cky he trashes it and has no sense for good music :)

jk 70mph

so what? CKY is my religion. I feel bad for those of you who cant hear the talent and technicality in their music. No, it may not be the most technical, but its unique. CKY is doing their own thing, there is no other band that came before them that they sound like. Uncatagorized....and as far as a drummer...Animal isnt really a cop out, if your favorite drummer isnt on here...hell...go for Animal! Drummers are harder to judge, their music doesnt really reflect how they drum behind the scenes. But i guess its all according to taste........good luck with that

• 1 year later...

Stever Ferrone, Tom Petty's current drummer, who used to play with the Average White Band, should be on this list. So should Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts and Billy Cobbham.

• 5 months later...

I voted Bonham, but then I saw Grohl, and now I'm a little sad that I didn't see him before because he's downright amazing. Listen to the last few minutes of Song For The Dead, from QOTSA- Songs For The Deaf, you'll see what I mean

Special mention to Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory. That guy is a machine. Also, the drummer from 65daysofstatic, I don't his name, but anyone who can lay down a drum n bass beat is ok by me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...