Mike Patton

Now this is an exact copy of my Zeropaid posting. Why you ask? Frankly, I can't do it any better. Dude brought up Mike Patton in pm and said I should start a thread on him. Well, this is the best I can do.

Before I repost it, I want to say something. Give this a chance. This man is not like anyone you have ever heard before. He can sing any style of music and he does, he has the perfect singing voice, and he has never really sold out. Every album that he does, experimental or not, is as highly rated as could possibly be and he has influenced many, many rock groups of today. Some say that not many people bought a Velvet Underground album when they first released them, but anyone who did became a rock star. Well, the same can be said for anything Mike Patton had to do. Evey song he does is completly different, every song he does features a different vocal masterpiece, sometimes changing them over 10 times in one song. So if you get a chance, give some of these songs a listen. You won't be sorry. If you need help picking out a song to try, pm me with your favorite type of music (E.g. Hard Rock, Soft Singing, Songs with screaming... However you want to explain what you are looing for) and I will help you to find a song to fit your taste.

Anyway here is the repost for Beat King. Hopefully it goes over better. I would have posted it here first, but I was not yet a member and I learned my lesson about Zeropaid and Music.

Repost:

Well I see everyone doing their fanboying for their favorite singers, albums, bands, and so forth... Usually I just keep quiet, but I can't resist this one time.

Does anyone listen to anything by Mike Patton? He is by far my favorite singer and if I were to power rate singers by stuff like range, versatility, etc... I would put him first. This isn't a naive gesture either, I go way back with many, many types of music and have heard arguments for all of these different singers, but I change a lot of them when I get people to listen to this man sing. Basically you have a man who can sing almost anything humanly possible and can go beyond that with digital editing... He can go as high as you need and as low as you need, while constantly changing the way his voice sounds. I mean you can listen to a song that he has done and swear that it's a few different lead singers in it, singing each part.

If you look him up anywhere, he and his groups are considered pretty much the most influential of our time. All the "big" rock groups now have them listed as influences and any songs you hear nowadays probably had their style previously done a decade or so ago by Patton.

Groups he has been a part of:

-Mr. Bungle - They started in the mid 80s as a college group, continue on today... This was a very talented group that would put out albums with many different songs that each was a completly different style of music, all for the sake of trying to match up with Mike Patton's vocals. I mean 13 years ago these guys were doing Slipknot like stuff, ska, and some other before their time songs. Each album was completly different though, along with every single song.

Good Songs are:

My Ass Is On Fire - Slipknot like song with like 20 different vocal changes.

Carousel - Ska with insane speed singing

Retrovertigo - Slow, well sung rock song

Slowly Growing Deaf - Slow rock song that shifts into fast punk song

Sweet Charity - Beach Boys type song with a harder edge

Goodbye Sober Day - One of the strangest songs you will ever hear, but amazing nonetheless.

-Faith No More - Most people have heard of this group. They were popular on MTV during the first half or so of the 90s. They started in 1985 with Courtney Love as their lead singer, then dropped her for Chuck Mosely. As they were breaking out they fired Chuck and begged college singer Patton to join them, while their other choice was Chris Cornell. Patton finally agreed and they took off. Unlike Mr. Bungle though, they kept their music straight up and didn't try to change it with Patton's vocal shifts. It came off as good though, but they admittingly were no where near as big in their day as they were after they broke up in I think 1999. After that break up, all of these huge rock bands started naming Faith No More as their influence and they became legends in the rock world.

Good Songs Are:

Epic - 1989 white boy rap song that is crossed with a Wheatus like sound

MidLife Crisis - Grunge sounding song, almost pulls off something like Alice In Chains with a lot of vocal shifts.

Ashes to Ashes - Rammstein like vocals to Wheatus to something in between. Sad song though.

Easy - Cover song, very R & B sounding.

A Small Victory - Great vocal rock song

Last Cup Of Sorrow - Very edgy rock song, strange but good vocals

Stripsearch - Almost sounds like Seal..

Kindergarten - Fun to listen to as he goes from high to low on the same word.

-Fantômas - Combonation of Melvin's guitarist, Mr. Bungle's Bassist, and Slayer's Drummer. They are an experimental metal group that has done three albums so far. The first was set to a comic book and was simply sound effects that came off as something more. It's really weird, but cool to hear. The second was a cover album of their favorite movie theme songs, and the third was one long, but well structured song that they put their heart and soul into.

Good Songs:

Experiment In Terror - This one tests the strangness and the range of Patton

Spider Baby - Fun song to listen to, very deep voice and creepy background vocals

-Tomahawk - This is a combo of The Jesus Lizard's guitarist, Melvin's bassist, and Helmet's drummer. This is an experimental metal/southern rock group.

Good Songs:

Sweet Smell Of Success - Very strange vocals, between a raspy voice, a smooth voice, and then a southern sounding rock voice.

God Hates A Coward - Insane song that he does behind this special singing mask that allows him to make it sounds like he is echoing in a room. I have seen him do it live, it's really really cool to hear.

Other Stuff to look for:

Lovage - Techno Group

His solo stuff, which is all experimental. he did a whole album of sound effects with his voice and some vocal tools.

He also has lead sang for other groups when they needed someone to fill in, like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Sepultura.

So anyway yeah, thanks for listening to my little thing about Mike Patton. I hope before you judge, you try at least a few of his songs. Every song you hear will be completly different, so you may hate one and like another, while not even being able to comprehend that it's the same guy on both songs. :)

Here is one that has a lot of live and demo stuff from Mr. Bungle:

http://www.bunglefever.com

Edit:

This is Mike Patton's record label. It has some various pictures and other things from his groups. It also shows you how funny he is.

http://www.ipecac.com/main.php

and here is a fan site:

http://www.bungletofantomas.com/

If you google him, you will probably find a lot more.

Edited by alliercollins

If you want a quick showing of how talented he is, check out the A Small Victory video at:

http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/default.asp?artistID=1008776

Edit:

Here are Ashes To Ashes and Last Cup Of Sorrow. Ashes to Ashes will show off his voice about as well as any song. If you like wells ung songs, try either, but especially try Ashes to Ashes.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/faith_no_more/artist.jhtml

Edited by alliercollins

I really enjoyed Faith No More on Epic and Angel Dust, but they lost their sound in Fool for a Day... I like Patton's voice, but the music that he makes is ehhhh... I have never been able to get into Bungle or Fantomas. I think that something as beautiful as Angel Dust is one of those flukes that happens when you are a creative individual that is working with other creative individuals and have no real idea about what type of sound they should create. I will admit that there are some other good Faith No More songs (I kinda like Album of the Year), but that (Angel Dust) album is infinitely better than the previous or latter music.

Faith No More - Most people have heard of this group. They were popular on MTV during the first half or so of the 90s. They started in 1985 with Courtney Love as their lead singer, then dropped her for Chuck Mosely.

That was total news to me. :good job:

I really enjoyed Faith No More on Epic and Angel Dust, but they lost their sound in Fool for a Day... I like Patton's voice, but the music that he makes is ehhhh... I have never been able to get into Bungle or Fantomas. I think that something as beautiful as Angel Dust is one of those flukes that happens when you are a creative individual that is working with other creative individuals and have no real idea about what type of sound they should create. I will admit that there are some other good Faith No More songs (I kinda like Album of the Year), but that (Angel Dust) album is infinitely better than the previous or latter music.

I think there are a lot of people who feel that way. Personally I like Mr. Bungle just as much as Faith no more, but that isn't a common occurence among fans. Have you given Tomahawk a try? God Hates A Coward is an experience alone. It takes a couple of listens to get to like it, but after that it's an awesome song.

I'm glad at least someone else knows them. :)

I tend to think alot like Kiwi--Patton has a voice all right, but Im not sure I like the music. I would like to try the techno stuff and I'd like to hear Angel Dust. But its hard for me to really evaluate the guy, or really like him by just hearing the little snippets offered. But...you seem to have a huge range of tastes, AC, and mostly good...so I will listen to more based on your recommendation.

Try Midlife Crisis, A Small Victory, and Kindergarten. That is all off from Angel Dust.

I concur with the spammer (my God, two days and you are near the amount of posts I have made in two months... shame!).

Edit... oh wait... 4 months :(

Edited by wingnut2600

Try Midlife Crisis, A Small Victory, and Kindergarten. That is all off from Angel Dust.

I could only get Midlife Crisis off of Amazon - nice sound, reminded me of the Stone's Gimme Shelter.

I concur with the spammer (my God, two days and you are near the amount of posts I have made in two months... shame!).

Edit... oh wait... 4 months :(

Would you prefer I went back to not talking? :) Dude keeps posting all of these interesting things and bringing up all of these interesting ideas, I can't help by follow suit since he and I seem to have the same sleeping habits and end up being the only two online at some points.

Would you prefer I went back to not talking? :) Dude keeps posting all of these interesting things and bringing up all of these interesting ideas, I can't help by follow suit since he and I seem to have the same sleeping habits and end up being the only two online at some points.

I enjoy your posting... keep it up.

I was just being playful while making light of my sporadic posting style. I am never able to post all that often...

• 2 weeks later...