Top 10 Bands Live

Off the top of my head, the best ten bands in concert I've seen are, in no particular order (and I might change if I recall someone better):

The Grateful Dead

The Allman Brothers

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Jefferson Airplane

The Who

Santana

Led Zeppelin

Frank Zappa

The Rolling Stones

Bruce Springsteen

Jethro Tull

Hell there are too many, unless you break it by category, and then I can add

Weather Report

Stevie Wonder

Van Morrison

Rickie Lee Jones

Janis Joplin

Miles Davis...

. The second can still happen I guess, but isn't very likely unless they get some reunion thing going someday.

Its possible they might come together 'cause its election year...

Its possible they might come together 'cause its election year...

Now you have my hopes all up.

Right now I doubt it though. I'm not going to rule it out for the next ten years though. They were all friends before they formed the band and one of the reasons they broke up was when De La Rocha got mad at Commerford over the climbing into the rafters incident at the MTV music awards, which was understandable, but Commerford was Zack's friend prior to joining Rage and Zack brought him in.

Perhaps they can make peace, kick Cornell out, and start over.

We can all hope, can't we?

Edited by alliercollins

In no particular order, the ones I enjoyed most in terms of showmanship and entertainment...

• Queen
  • ACDC
  • Rick Wakeman
  • Stevie wonder
  • Elton John
  • Horslips
  • Thin Lizzy
  • John Martyn
  • Rory Gallagher
  • Jethro Tull
  • Kid Creole and the Coconuts

EDIT: yeah yeah... it's eleven... I cant count :P

I have seen a lot but the following have really impressed me

- Placebo

- Dead Can Dance

- Rage against The Machine

- Thievery Corporation

- Massive Attack

- Portishead

- Mano Dibango

- Manu Chao

- Bjork

- Mo Horizons

Method, how was Rage? Details, I need details. :)

For a funny side note. The sports section was boring me the other day, so I flipped forward in the newspaper to the Ann LAnders column that those two women run now (She died in case anyone doesn't know). Anyway some people were writing in to say that they would let their kids listen to Rage Against the Machine. Apparently some woman wrote in saying that they would never, in a million years, let their kids buy a Rage Against The Machine album because she was afraid groups like that, with their language and loud guitars. People all over were writing in response to it because of the fact that Rage was the one group who had a real message to give. When I have kids someday (If I do, thanks to that cell phone thing), I am going to make sure the give Rage a listen.

Rage against the machine were excellent. Saw them a few years ago and it was the loudest concert ever. They played an extra hour too. too bad they are gone now

Good thread Tink!

U2 @ Yankee Stadium

Elvis Costello @ Central Park

Warren Haynes @ Town Hall

The Grateful Dead @ The Garden

Allman Bros @ The Beacon

Tina Turner @ Radio City

Stevie Nicks @ Jones Beach

Zebra @ Roseland Ballroom

Ricki Lee Jones @ Roseland Ballroom

The Roundup at JFK (Marshall Tucker, 38 Special, New Riders, et al.)

:jammintwo:

The Roundup at JFK (Marshall Tucker, 38 Special, New Riders, et al.)

:jammintwo:

The best concert I ever saw was at the Atlantic City Pop FestivalAugust 1,2 & 3 1969 - , on a Saturday, as part of the three day festival (2 weeks before Woodstock). I was a young teen, not old enough to drive, and higher than a kite throughout. This was the lineup which is slightly different from the link because they made substituations the day (anyway its how i remembered it, which is probably skewed):

http://www.e-rockworld.com/AtlanticCity.htm

The Byrds (Roger McGuinn)

BB King

Frank Zappa

Booker T and the MGs

The Chambers Brothers

Janis Joplin

Santana

closing with

Creedence Clear Water Revival

The Jefferson Airplane

I also remember sitting directly in front of Iron Butterfly on Friday night during their performance of Ina Goda Davida...but not much else lol

A close second was: The Band, the Allman Bros, the Grateful Dead at Watkins Glen - over 600,000 people

Watkins Glen? Must live in NY, lol. That's like an hour and a half from where I go to college (RIT in Rochester).

I lived in PA at the time. I have a cousin that went to your school..he's a Dr now, You are at the Cal Tech of the East coast :)

Ah yeah dude, it is the cal tech of the east coast. I think M.I.T. ranks first, but its so far out of reach that it doesn't even compete on the same level with the others. Then Cal Tech and RIT come in right behind.

I know PA is not too far from school either, I visited some friends in Scranton one night. It was a nice place. I love PA since there are no highway cops (I did 110 all the way to and from Scranton).

Too bad you don't live in PA anymore. The have some good concerts between RIT and PA all the time that I can't get people my age to go and see. They have no respect for any groups that came out before Nirvana.

They have no respect for any groups that came out before Nirvana.

:o

One more nostalgic note. I bought the tickets in advance for the Atlantic City Pop Festiveal (15 bucks each) and hitchhiked from PA to the Jersey shore to meet two friends who wer staying with the families at vacation homes in Stone Harbor, NJ. Got picked up somewhere in NJ by the cops, who were all wearing long-haired wigs at the station as a joke, and somehow got the parents of my buds to vouge for me. The cop gave me a ride to their house and then we proceeded to all pop 4 ways for the show--hmmm, not a good idea to do 4-way blotter acid after being up all night!!!, and I dont recommend it :)--it took an RCrumb comic book to stop what otherwise would have been a bad trip because of the heat and the crowds, but things sailed quickly thereafter :bigsmile: Essentailly everyone but Hendrix and Crosby Stills and Nash were at Atlantic city, so I dissed Woodstock and went out to California to stay with some friends instead. A pretty wild summer for a young kid, and as you can tell I never recovered :lol:

I've not been to many concerts in my time but the ones I have been to were great, I saw Heart in Huntington, WV in '77 with Firefall and they put on a great show. I saw REO Speedwagon and Sweet in Charleston, WV in '78, Sweet had just put out there Level Headed album, they blew REO away that night, REO had just came out with their You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish album. Saw Black Oak Arkansas in '84, they put on a good show but Jim Dandy can't sing worth a sh*t.

Here's my top 10 in no particular order either

Soundgarden

Grateful Dead

Machines Of Loving Grace

Butthole Surfers

Nine Inch Nails

Catherine Wheel

Primus

Kyuss

White Zombie

Slayer

It wasn't easy...for each one on there, there's 2 runner-ups.

'Cept for the Dead.

best live bands....concerts i have seen live

hawkwind

santana

eagles

skyhooks (aussie band from the `70`s)

rory gallagher (stunning in 1974)

lou reed (met him after a concert in nz.... 1974...brilliant)

david bowie

queen opening aussie sunbury festival near melbourne..1974..very good..." seven seas of rhye " and " keep yourself alive " were memorable....so was the crowd reaction..... (" BRIAN May laughs when reminded of Queen's 1974 debut show in Australia - the band's first outside England which caused a near riot at the Sunbury Rock Festival, outside Melbourne. Queen, particularly Freddie, were booed and abused by a yobbo crowd apparently outraged that "a bunch of English poofs" should top the bill over Australian acts including Billy Thorpe. "

"It was all just a series of misunderstandings," says May. "Queen were unknowns and we never expected top billing. We were supposed to go on as the sun was setting so we could use our lighting equipment but we had to wait a while (the schedule had failed to account for daylight saving). The Australian stage crew didn't like this and started fighting with our stage crew.")..

status quo

acdc (early days on pub circuits in aussie)

rose tattoo

kevin borich express (nz guitarist huge in aussie..has opened for acdc in states in `70`s)

slade

rod stewart and the faces

uriah heep

pretty things

rolling stones

elton john

alice cooper (welcome to my nightmare show) at western springs stadium in nz in 1977...i`ll never forget that one!!) best live concert that i`ve ever seen...

Musicians

* Alice Cooper - Vocals

* Dick Wagner - Guitars

* Steve (Deacon) Hunter - Guitars

* Prakash John - Bass

* Tony Levin - Bass

* Whitey Glan - Drums

* Johnny (Bee) Badanjek - Drums

* Jozef Chirowski - Keyboards, Clavinet, Vocals, Fender Rhoads

* Bob Ezrin - Keyboards, Fender Rhoads

* David Ezrin and the Summerhill Children's Choir - Vocals

* Vincent Price - The Curator

* Michael Sherman - Vocals

* Gerry Lyons - Vocals

* Trish McKinnon - Mom

SetList

* Welcome To My Nightmare

* Years Ago-No More Mr. Nice Guy

* Years Ago-Billion Dollar Babies

* Years Ago-I'm Eighteen

* Years Ago-Instrumental intro to Some Folks

* Cold Ethyl

* Only Women

* Devil's Food-The Black Widow

* Steven

* Welcome To My Nightmare (reprise)

* The Awakening

* Escape

* School's Out

* Department of Youth

post-53-1089157375.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

best bands I have seen live

The Allman Brothers Band - then and now ( I'm sure that doesn't surprise anybody) lol

Led Zeppelin

Yes

Emerson, Lake, Palmer

Jethro Tull

CSN&Y

The Outlaws

The Band

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Joe Walsh

Ten Years After

Billy Preston

Dave Mason

I never got to see some of my favorite artists but too many to list here it seems

oh yeah kiwi, I saw that alice cooper concert too, that's the one with the guillotine right? where he chopped his head off, lol I thought it was Billion Dollar Babies, maybe I was wrong.