Rush - Touring Again

Rush are in the middle of the North American leg of their 30th-anniversary tour. The current series of dates celebrating the milestone will wrap up Aug. 22 in Toronto, and the Canadian prog-rock trio then is scheduled to visit Europe during September. An incident that occurred during a different kind of celebration has Rush's Alex Lifeson in quite a bit of legal hot water. This past New Year's Eve, Lifeson and his son were involved in a scuffle with police officers while ringing in 2004 at a Naples, Fla., hotel. The guitarist is facing a variety of charges and, if convicted, he could conceivably be sentenced to several years in prison. Lifeson's trial has been postponed several times, and the proceedings now are scheduled to get under way during the week of Sept. 13, which unfortunately would interfere with his group's international tour plans.

Right now, though, Lifeson and the rest of Rush are focusing on bringing their mighty sonic explosion to their fans. And in addition to the current tour, the three musicians are marking their three-decade-long career by releasing an eight-song EP of songs by some of the classic-rock artists who inspired them. Feedback, due in stores June 29, features tunes written and/or famously covered by the Who ("The Seeker," "Summertime Blues"), Buffalo Springfield ("For What It's Worth," "Mr. Soul"), the Yardbirds ("Heart Full of Soul," "Shapes of Things"), Cream ("Crossroads") and Love ("Seven and Seven Is"). "We thought it would be a fitting symbol to commemorate our 30 years together if we returned to our roots and paid tribute to those we had learned from and were inspired by," drummer Neil Peart writes in the CD's liner notes. While Rush obviously are taking time to look back to their past this year, they also are looking toward the future. "We have every intention of going back in the studio and recording a new record," Lifeson said in a recent newspaper interview.

http://www.rush.com/php/home.php?f=1

post-92-1088355519.jpg

I just heard a new Rush song on the radio the other day (not by choice, but by coincidence), and they sound all out of touch with each other musically.

The lyrics consisted of what sounded like a bunch of different starts to songs, all strung together. It's like they couldn't make up their minds what the lyrics should be.

Instrumentally, they all went off in their own direction.

They had one song years back, something along the lines of "Big Money" that I really liked... it was pretty hot. It was loud and dynamic. Anyone know what Im referring to?

Anyone know what Im referring to?

:unsure:

I liked a lot of Rush but I dont know the names of most of their stuff.... other than what's on 'A Farewell to Kings'. Any of their music I possess is still packed in boxes in either tape format or vinyl.

I heard an excellent live recording by them a few years ago. Maybe they should have quit while they were ahead.... if Ken is to be believed.

It'll be interesting to hear this one when it's available.

i like their " Power Windows " album........but not much else i`m afraid..i certainly don`t agree with geddy lee`s attitude to file sharing.....

fav track..." big money "......very apt.....

"The Big Money"

Big money goes around the world

Big money underground

Big money got a mighty voice

Big money make no sound

Big money pull a million strings

Big money hold the prize

Big money weave a mighty web

Big money draw the flies

Sometimes pushing people around

Sometimes pulling out the rug

Sometimes pushing all the buttons

Sometimes pulling out the plug

It's the power and the glory

It's a war in paradise

It's a cinderella story

On a tumble of the dice

Big money take a cruise

Big money leave a mighty wake

Big money leave a bruise

Big money make a million dreams

Big money spin big deals

Big money make a mighty head

Big money spin big wheels

Sometimes building ivory towers

Sometimes knocking castles down

Sometimes building you a stairway -

Lock you underground

It's that old-time religion

it's the kingdom they would rule

It's the fool on television

Getting paid to play the fool

Big money give and take

Big money done a power of good

Big money make mistakes

Big money got a heavy hand

Big money take control

Big money got a mean streak

Big money got no soul...

post-92-1088369549_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

i like their " Power Windows " album........but not much else i`m

fav track..." big money "......very apt.....

Great minds think alike :bigsmile:

i think the song that you`re talking about mate is the title track to their 1991 album " roll the bones " appropriately titled " roll the bones "..not a bad song...it got a lot of fm airplay....

Huh? No, Im referring to "The Big Money" you just previously mentioned...

Personally, I am a Rush "prog-guitar rock" purist. Everything before Moving Pictures is outstanding and worth "aquiring" and listening to. Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, all primo examples of the culminating phase of 70's prog-rock. Not a stinker in the lot. By the late 70's, Rush was selling out civic centers across the US with virtually no radio air play; all word of mouth and the music did the talking.

But starting with Moving Pictures, they left behind the "art-for-art's-sake" virtuousity of their earlier theme-driven recordings and increasingly became an 80's top-40 pop-synth band. I saw them 3 weeks before Moving Pictures was released, and the first time I heard Tom Sawyer was standing on my seat in the 10th row at the Providence Civic Center. Little did I know I would be subjected to said song ad nauseum by the same radio stations that had ignored Rush's earlier brilliant work. I must say I have been unimpressed by most of what I have heard Rush do over the last 2 decades, but I will check the aforementioned tracks and give them a listen to.

Hey if they suck I can always delete them, lol.

Edited by CTC Command

What city?

:D The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion (Houston, TX) it was a great concert, I worked the Pavilion in 2002 and it was really the best concert of the season for that year also.......Rush really is great in concert......

I too work at the CWMP with Moonglow. Worked the floor too for that show (6/26) in the pit. I have seen (worked) Rush there three times and everytime has been great. I am not a very big fan of Rush, but they do put on a good show. :strumma:

TTFN