P2P bill draws key backing in Senate

Making a connection between online file trading and child exploitation, key Democratic and Republican senators are backing a bill that would effectively ban peer-to-peer networks where copyright infringement takes place.

Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a Republican of Utah, sought to dispel some of the early criticisms of his proposal, saying in a statement distributed late Tuesday that a new version of his bill reflects only modest changes and would not affect Internet service providers' legal rights or Americans' abilities to make "fair use" of copyrighted works.

Instead, he said, the legislation focuses on putting an end to illegal activity on the Internet.

"In the film 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,' the leering 'Child Catcher' lured children into danger with false promises of 'free lollipops,'" Hatch said in a floor speech touting his bill. "Tragically, some corporations now seem to think that they can legally profit by inducing children to steal, that they can legally lure children and others with false promises of 'free music.'"

Read entire story here.

"In the film 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,' the leering 'Child Catcher' lured children into danger with false promises of 'free lollipops,'" Hatch said in a floor speech touting his bill. "

Simplistic analogy from a very, very simple brain. Good thing we have Hatch break down complex and modern internet to kindergarden playground level.

Pathetic. With that kind of rationale, they might as well ban the Internet.

&$^(@#$%@

We'll need Freenet yet.

Making insults towards a online news article is kind like the internet equilivent of yelling at the tv. Maybe with enough insults it will dissapear...

The difference is that there are alot more eyeballs to look at the comment, and to build a discusson from there.

I can see where you are coming from and agree with much of what you say above - what do you think the P2P community should be doing to combat the RIAA's and other's attacks?

Making insults towards a online news article is kind like the internet equilivent of yelling at the tv.

wow, silly me. i thought they were stating their views for the purpose of anyone who might want to read their opinions and might have something other to say.

wow, silly me. i thought they were stating their views for the purpose of anyone who might want to read their opinions and might have something other to say.

I guess the "opinion" or "belief" label changes everything.. So i guess as long as person calls it an opinion its ok to flame and insult someone then. The funny thing is the same people who do it cant stand if the negative "opinion" is about them and take it like a insult, even though when they do the same exact things to others its never an insult..

What always happens is the only thing others add is theit own insult or an insult towards the person who posted the orginal insult.

People have been flaming the RIAA, MPAA and etc for years and it doesnt seem to be working to me..

Shit labeled any other name will still smell like shit to me.

Anyways to answer DAIC post about what can the p2p community do. The real changes has to come from the top, more programs need to start being more active in encouraging litigimate uses, promote the current ones better and expand them to more areas. The portal sites need to stop supporting programs these amateurish programs that make a bunch of big promises and promote themselves even when they are in alpha status. All because they claim they come up with some great way for anonymity and make up some stupid story behind it when in reality its just a clone of a idea called "crowds."

But really what it comes down to is that the P2P community needs to better distingush itself differently from the warez community and to better hightlight those differences.

Edited by NullsRevenge

I guess the "opinion" or "belief" label changes everything.. So i guess as long as person calls it an opinion its ok to flame and insult someone then.

But it is only your opinion that it's a flame. I have not seen any flames in this thread, at all; even from you. A no flaming policy only goes so far. It doesn't extend to flaming a news article, or a U.S. Senator. That's rediculous, petty, and heavy-handed.

Making insults towards a online news article is kind like the internet equilivent of yelling at the tv. Maybe with enough insults it will dissapear.

I disagree, and I think it builds discussion.

People have been flaming the RIAA, MPAA and etc for years and it doesnt seem to be working to me..

No sane person believes words on the BeatKing forums or any other forum will actually change anything right then and there. It's about discussion with others, and pooling thoughts and ideas.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and I feel stupid for saying that to begin with, but I just want to make sure you understand it's only your opinion, and that people will continue to comment like this on further articles.

When I first started coming to ZP, I was naive about filesharing, and coming from the entertainment business, mostly listening to the party line, not really being that informed. I knew something was off-kilter, and I didnt like how the industry went after Napster and I wanted to find out why. It wasnt until after reading comments and exchanges like the above that I was able to see how much wool had been pulled over my eyes and others-I was in for a rude awakening at just how little I knew and how stupid I was.

I think forums like this do change public opinion, and ultimately, laws... Problem is for some, is that they are so used to reading stuff that others might find fresh, that they get jaded. The more people we can get to this community and others and spread the word, the more others will become informed about the RIAA's tactics and make sure they are blocked and changed

But it is only your opinion that it's a flame. I have not seen any flames in this thread, at all; even from you. A no flaming policy only goes so far. It doesn't extend to flaming a news article, or a U.S. Senator. That's rediculous, petty, and heavy-handed.

I disagree, and I think it builds discussion.

No sane person believes words on the BeatKing forums or any other forum will actually change anything right then and there. It's about discussion with others, and pooling thoughts and ideas.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and I feel stupid for saying that to begin with, but I just want to make sure you understand it's only your opinion, and that people will continue to comment like this on further articles.

Stop assuming crap, your taking my point completely out of context which is if i said, something like "Ken, you are a complete dumbass." Which is clearly an insult, but you tell me if i claim that its a opinion, then how exactly does that not make it insult?

It has not a damn thing to do with forums, senators or news stories.

I don agree with your comment that it builds discussion, it does not build discussion, events like the RIAA suing people, pushing for dracoian legislation and etc. That is what builds discussion and that is what gets p2p noticed.

Forums dont change people's opinion, because the only way a person can change their opinion is if they willingly do it.

DAIC if the only think you saw was insults to the riaa, hillary rosen alone and nothing else, would that have changed your opinion? I doubt it, and thats my point. The real message gets lost in the immaturity and petty insults. With the p2p community become even more extreemist to where its not about the dirty practices of the record companies and but its about massive social changes that have nothing to do with p2p and "gittin shit fer free" and the "back to the underground" even though p2p was never in the "underground." The more these extreemist views many of them have very little to nothing to do with p2p become more popular the more the p2p community risks further alienating the "average person," which without their support no change at all can take place.

I think for the most part, this board's discussions are more mature here, and that for the most part we all come from the same place.. I also dont think Ken was putting you down, simply expressing his pov, most which agreed where you came from. As to opinions on opinions, well, its kind of a mirror thing that is infinitesimal--so its best to remind ourselves to say on topic, as sometimes leads to misinterpretation. Forums like this do help build consensus, and ultimately, change things...

Senate OKs Fines for Illegal Downloading

Fri Jun 25, 6:39 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The Senate agreed to legislation Friday that would allow the Justice Department to use civil penalties to go after people who illegally share and download computer files over the Internet.

Under the legislation — called the Protecting Intellectual Rights Against Theft and Expropriation or PIRATE Act — the Justice Department would be able to file civil copyright infringement cases against people who wrongfully download or share computer files.

Under current law, the attorney general can only file criminal copyright infringement cases, which are more difficult to prove because prosecutors must show the defendant knew the filesharing and downloading were illegal but did them anyway. Under the legislation, the Justice Department would be able to go after damages and restitution without bringing criminal charges.

The bill passed on a voice vote without debate. It now goes to the House.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said in April the difficulty of proving criminal cases has kept the Justice Department from prosecuting people who download and share files using peer-to-peer filesharing software.

"The PIRATE Act will ensure the Department of Justice will have the option to impose civil penalties against users of filesharing software who are breaking federal laws but may not warrant criminal prosecution," Hatch said.

The Judiciary Committee's top Democrat, Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, co-sponsored the legislation. He said in March the bill would "allow the government to bring its resources to bear on this immense problem, and to ensure that more creative works are made available online, that these works are more affordable and the people who work to bring them to us are paid for their efforts."

___

The bill number is S. 2237. For information on the bill: http://thomas.loc.gov

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_filesharing_2

You see Nulls, I think the main problem is I understand your point, but I find it pointless to my personal point of view, and perhaps a little unappreciative towards other members points of view, in a general sort of way.

I think any further discussion on any of our comments regarding posts in this thread is irrelevant. It's all opinions, and arguing over them is of no use.

"The PIRATE Act will ensure the Department of Justice will have the option to impose civil penalties against users of filesharing software who are breaking federal laws but may not warrant criminal prosecution," Hatch said.

And of course, the option will be exercised when the payoffs are delivered.

Hatch is raking it in now.

$$$$$$

hahaha, this thread is a riot. perhaps some kind person can draw up some rules so i know how to post in future. barring that, remember what (one of my heroes) larry flynt said:

OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES--EVERYBODY HAS ONE. :lol: Punkt, ende. B)

I dont agree with your comment that it builds discussion, it does not build discussion, events like the RIAA suing people, pushing for dracoian legislation and etc. That is what builds discussion and that is what gets p2p noticed. 

I can tell you for a fact that legitimate p2p developers are watching discussions like this at bk and zp and slyck and taking very careful notes from these discussions in order to make their applications better--the discussions are legitimate and have merit