Court: No Right to Keep Names From Police

Bombardier

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that people do not have a constitutional right to refuse to tell police their names.

The 5-4 decision frees the government to arrest and punish people who won't cooperate by revealing their identity.

The decision was a defeat for privacy rights advocates who argued that the government could use this power to force people who have done nothing wrong, other than catch the attention of police, to divulge information that may be used for broad data base searches.

Police, meanwhile, had argued that identification requests are a routine part of detective work, including efforts to get information about terrorists.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a..._identification

The real question is how much latitude are the police given? It's a boarderline situation and if law-abiding americans can be harassed with the law, then Im against it

I understand it to mean that you have to identify yourself, that's all. You are not required to give anything else.

According to the law, you have to hand over all firearms...

This is a horrible ruling...Speaking as someone who was arrested, had his rights violated I can tell you the police largely ignore the law and just arrest people anyway...this just gives them ammo

Amen...this is exactly what Im talking about...and afraid about.

it's horrible, and you feel powerless. I mean, what the hell is some 18 year old going to say to twenty cops "Don't violate my rights...the law says x, y and z" (which I DID say).

Now i'll be arrested for not giving my name, BUT once I DO get arrested I can be silent (unless they took that right away too)?

This is a horrible ruling

Speaking as someone who was arrested, had his rights violated I can tell you the police largely ignore the law and just arrest people anyway...this just gives them ammo

The police are not the ones who interpt the laws, that is up to the judge. Seems to me you were confused about that.

I notice you didnt say that the charges were completely dropped and you won a lawsuit against the sheriff's dept for the violation of your rights... I hope you do realize that the allegations that you make are very common even when there is no clear proof at all.

This ruling doesnt affect anything at all because if someone is arrested for the suspicion of committing a crime, and doesnt disclose their name or have any identification then they will just sit in jail until they can figure out who that person is. The law in question and this ruling doesnt has nothing to do with people who have been arrested for a different crime.

Problems arise from law enforcement takes advantage of laws & innocent people are wronged in the process--which they do and will continue to do. There is nothing routine about an invasion of privacy. What is it that you like about this law, Nulls. Why do you think its needed?

Um...the charges against me WERE completely dropped (as soon as my lawyer talked with the judge all my shit was dismissed) and another person who was arrested with me sued the city and won

Is entering private property without a warrant bad?? What about refusing to GIVE a breathalyzer when being arrested for MIP?? Now that is some creative interpretation of the law

I could only find this article that took place in the middle...i'll try and dig deeper to get the good ones where the sue the city and the school (who sponsers the police party patrol)

Suspended Cheerleader Back On The Squad

Family Presses Lawsuit Over Suspension

POSTED: 7:33 p.m. MST December 9, 2003

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A La Cueva High School student is back on the cheerleading squad, but her parents are pressing on with their lawsuit challenging her original suspension.

Beverly Grier was suspended this fall after being cited by the Albuquerque Police Department's party patrol. But her father said she did nothing wrong and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The teen was cited for being a minor at a party where alcohol was found.

Her father, Mike Grier, said that shouldn't have been enough for the school district to be able to kick his daughter off the state championship La Cueva cheerleading squad.

But police said Beverly Grier's presence at the party was enough for the citation; that city law allows police to cite minors for possession if they just have access to alcohol. And Albuquerque Public Schools said the citation was reason enough to give Beverly Grier a 45-day suspension.

APS attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the Griers' lawsuit against the district, but no hearing date has been set yet.

Copyright 2003 by TheNewMexicoChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The teen was cited for being a minor at a party where alcohol was found. ...But police said Beverly Grier's presence at the party was enough for the citation; that city law allows police to cite minors for possession if they just have access to alcohol. And Albuquerque Public Schools said the citation was reason enough to give Beverly Grier a 45-day suspension.

This means every high school student in the country should be arrested because all of them are around students who either have or have access to alcahol and drugs...

Give me a break...