Militants threaten to behead South Korean hostage

Ken

story.korean.hostage.1.jpg

Sunday, June 20, 2004 Posted: 9:20 PM EDT (0120 GMT)

(CNN) -- The Arabic-language television network Al-Jazeera broadcast a videotape Sunday night of a man identified as a South Korean hostage whose captors threatened to behead him unless his government quits the U.S.-led coalition occupying Iraq.

On the videotape the man cried in English, "Please get out of here. I don't want to die. ... Your life is important, but my life is important."

The South Korean Foreign Ministry in Seoul confirmed that the man shown in the videotape is Kim Sun-il, 33, who works for a trading company. It was not known when or how he was taken hostage.

The Foreign Ministry planned an emergency meeting Monday morning to discuss Seoul's reaction to the development and steps to take toward Kim's release.

An official with the South Korean Embassy in Washington said South Korea has about 600 troops in the country and plans to send another 3,000.

The deployment will make South Korea the third-largest contributor to coalition forces, after the United States and Britain. (Full story)

The video showed Kim seated in front of three men whose faces were covered with scarves.

Two of the men held rifles; the third delivered an ultimatum to South Korea's government.

"We ask the government of South Korea and the people of Korea to pull their forces out of Iraq and not to send additional forces," the man said.

"Otherwise, we will send this hostage's head back to them and, God willing, we will kill more of your troops in Iraq. And you have 24 hours, starting tonight."

In Baghdad, South Korea's ambassador to Iraq said he was aware of the tape and had no comment.

Al-Jazeera's editor in chief, Ahmed al-Sheikh, said the tape was left Sunday at the network's office in Baghdad and that he verified it was authentic before broadcasting segments of it. He did not broadcast the entire tape because some of it was repetitious, he said.

Source

The South Korean Foreign Ministry in Seoul confirmed that the man shown in the videotape is Kim Sun-il, 33, who works for a trading company.

Again we see someone who was working for a company and not a military soldier <_>

When will people learn that the Middle East is a very dangerous place to be right now; and if you are not heavily armed and capable of defending yourself, you will be captured.

As has been done with other hostages, the Militants have proven that they will always honor their threats to murder their captives.

I hope this act of terrorism does not influence South Korea to pull their troops out of the Middle East. :reallymad:

I don't think any goverment will pull out for one hostage. Hate to sound insensitive but in the realm of global politics individuals tend to be expendable.

However, if there is shift in domestic politics (like the change of government in Spain) you can see countries pulling out of Iraq. That sort of thing does not happen everyday though.

I don't think any goverment will pull out for one hostage. Hate to sound insensitive but in the realm of global politics individuals tend to be expendable.

I agree, sad as it is.

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

I hope they just start letting these innocent people go freely. These are civilians and not combatants. If they were soldiers being beheaded ... I would still probably be pissed, but at least I knew these guys willingly died for the country, instead of just being an innocent bystander.

If they harm the hostage, I hope they meet the same fate as the last bunch. Dead within hours. In fact, I hope they are dead before the deadline arrives. All of them. Every last stinking one that is involved. Do not pass go, don't even go to jail. Just die.

The assumption is that if one group of terrorists can kidnap a person and get their demands met then that will just lead to even more kidnappings and even bigger and more outrageous demands. Even if the terrorist demands are met, i dont think it would really be wise to trust these people to follow through on their word.

This isnt about getting their demands met, that is not their goal, their goal is to make people across the world to fear, and intimidate them. Thats their goal all along and why they always make unreasonable demands and set short deadlines. Which is where the terror in terrorist comes from.

..their goal is to make people across the world to fear, and intimidate them...

Right you are. And for that very reason, I refuse to look at a photo or video of theirs, or fear them in any shape, matter or form. Karma is gonna blow their asses to smithereens someday and the sooner the better..

Al-Jazeera is reporting that the hostage has been killed.

Other news networks are not confirming this as of yet, but are working to.

It's very anti-climatic if it's true, because just today they were announcing they were extending the negotiating time, and were "lessening" their demands.

They probably did that intentionally, just to jolt them a bit.

Just as the Bush admin had little regard for the possible outcome of invasion, these bastards have no clue how this will turn even moderates against them.

Hmm.

By 'moderates', I mean people who can appreciate the idea of fighting for to repel invaders. By turning to tactics such as these, they leave the area of 'freedom-fighter' and become subhuman to the world.

Militant Vows to Assassinate Iraq Premier

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A recording purportedly made by the mastermind of bombings and beheadings in Iraq (news - web sites) threatened to assassinate Iraq's interim prime minister and fight the Americans "until Islamic rule is back on Earth."

The audio, found Wednesday on an Islamic Web site, is supposedly from Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the same Jordanian-born terrorist whose group claimed responsibility for the beheading of American hostage Nicholas Berg and Kim Sun-il, a South Korean whose decapitated body was found Tuesday evening between Baghdad and Fallujah.

South Koreans reacted with sorrow and anger to Kim's beheading Wednesday, with President Roh Moo-hyun calling it a "crime against humanity."

Read entire story here.

The actual beheading is circling the internet.

One of the main sites that provide quick access to such material, ogrish.com, has been suffering multiple DOS attacks against their website from Korean IPs.

They seem unaffected however, and the video is available.

I'm not going to explain myself, because

A. I don't need to

B. Just for the hell of it, I did in the Nick Berg thread...

That being said, I witnessed the video. All I can say is, more of the same. Everything I said in the Berg thread applies here, and no more words are needed.

I'm done with witnessing the beheadings. I'm convinced of what i've felt all along. They need to be destroyed. I hope all opportunities to do so are used to the max.