computer problems

Crazy Diamond

Heres the thing:

I went to this website and was instantly attacked by ads and pop ups (i think it was the websites fault). I ran adaware and restarted my computer but certian things couldnt be deleted no matter what i tried. Every time i would run adaware it would find like 80 ads. I thought maybe it was a virus so i did a virus scan and it came up clean.

the ads arent my concern though.

i figured since im running these scans, i would clean up my computer in general so as i was doing these things i did a windows update.

i restarted my computer and now i just keeps on restarting. doesnt even get to the desktop, just the windows screen then starts over again.

help please

Sounds like a virus to me. But there's no way I can really tell with out being there.

If you can give anymore info about what's going on please do.

Make sure your antivirus and adaware definitions are up-to-date and pray to the computer gods.

Try and hit ctrl-alt-del and see what's running in the task manager, if there's anything odd that could be it.

Edited by HolyLiaison

I dont have an anti virus on that comp yet (its my room mates old comp, i just got it recently)

I did do an update for adaware.

I looked at task manager and didnt notice anything unusual, or with the same names as the things that were downloaded onto my comp that i couldnt delete.

I cant even get onto the comp anymore. when i start it up, it gets to the windows please wait screen and restarts. it doenst even get to the desktop or any of that.

im not good with computers.

operating program? restore point?

and this is windows 2000, i dont think i have the cd for it

Well there's not much you can do then. You're either going to have to reinstall Windows 2000 on top of the current Windows 2000 (to fix the error) or completely format if you can't find the Windows 2000 CD (erase everything on your hard drives) and reinstall an operating system that you do have access to like Linux (Which is free) or some other CD you have laying around like Windows 98/ME.

like i said its not my comp, so i can format untill the owner gets back from a trip sunday night. he bought a new computer and let me use the old one.

well i was planing on installing windows xp overtop of it,

can i still do that?

like i said its not my comp, so i can format untill the owner gets back from a trip sunday night. he bought a new computer and let me use the old one.

well i was planing on installing windows xp overtop of it,

can i still do that?

I wouldn't. I'd erase everything first and do a clean install of Windows XP.

And once you do install Windows XP make sure to get some sort of Antivirus/Adware software, and maybe a software firewall to block all that crap out. You could try the new Windows XP SP2 RC2 that was released recently. Adds a lot of security features.

And I'd also use Mozilla Firefox as a webbrowser instead of Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is the program that lets in all that adware most the time.

Mozilla Firefox

if i were to erase everything how would i go about doing that?

It will ask you what you want to do when you boot up your computer with the Windows XP CD in your CD tray. It'll ask you if you want to upgrade (Which you DON'T want to do) and then it will ask you if you'd like to Format your computer. Which you'll say yes to. You'll select the hard drive (if you have more than one) with windows on it and continue. You shouldn't have a problem after it starts installing, it's pretty self explainable.

Windows XP doesn't upgrade well from Windows 2000, so I don't think you should do that. But if you have important stuff on there that needs to be backed up I'd go that route then format after you get the stuff backed up. Because it's really unstable when you upgrade.

sorry for all the questions

and i appretiate your help

but what do you mean xp doesnt upgrade well from 2000? someone else told me to do it and it would be fine

Trust me, it doesn't run as well. Because all the old file fragments are left behind including the virus, or whatever it was you had before. Which COULD reactivate it self once you've upgraded.

It's just safer to go the fresh install way. Unless, like I said, you have to back stuff up.

Things run much faster after you do a fresh install anyway. I tend to format at least every 3 months. But I have 3 hard drives, and I back all my important stuff up on them so it's not a problem for me when I want to format.

Edited by HolyLiaison

hmmmm, I dont think theres many important things on there from the previous owner, other than his nerd games. i dont have anything except one program...i should back that up though.

well i just moved and decided to be nice and leave my comp at home with my parents/siblings since my room mate was letting me use his old one.

My friend was going to lend me a different hard drive so i can go to my parents place and get my music (i have lots) and other things i have saved and transfer it to my other comp, so i could just back it up

i dont have anything except one program...i should back that up though.

If it's something you can download again I'd just forget it and redownload it once your computer is back to normal.

You could also take the hard drive out of that computer and put it in the one you're using now and just back it up on his computer, then just have your roommate send it to you over the internet / your network once you get it all setup correctly.

wells there nothing i could really do tonight. My room mate is out of town for the weekend and doesnt get back till tomorrow night.

so if i have any questions i'll ask tomorrow.

g'night

Ok, well I hope you get it fixed soon. I hate it when fellow geeks are with out their computers. ;)

My computer is fine now!!! Thanks for your help.

It was a virus actually, I removed 5 infected files. Funny thing is my room mate noticed that when the computer would restart, it would quickly flash the name of the virus. I don’t know how many times I watched that computer restart and didn’t notice that.

We had that probalem at work about a month ago. The machine kept rebooting itself over and over again. I think it was called the sasser virus. If you can get someone with an antivirus disk and the fix for the virus, which whatever antivirus you have, I use Norton, it should be on there website.

My computer is fine now!!! Thanks for your help.

It was a virus actually, I removed 5 infected files. Funny thing is my room mate noticed that when the computer would restart, it would quickly flash the name of the virus. I don’t know how many times I watched that computer restart and didn’t notice that.

Awesome. Glad to hear it's fixed.