Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer

Bombardier

The time has come to dump Internet Explorer. I know, I know — you may have heard the same thing before from those that think it’s cool to hate Microsoft; but I’m not one of those guys. I’m actually an MCSE and I happen to like quite a few of Microsoft’s products. Rather than lump me into the Microsoft-basher category, consider for a moment why you use the browser you use, and humor me by entertaining the notion — if even for a second — that switching to another might be worth your while.

My argument is simple: the benefits of using IE are too few - and the faults too great — to put off the adoption of an alternative any longer.

Security

Since information security is my hobby/job/obsession, this particular topic is near and dear to my heart. Just about everyone reading this has seen computers that have been beaten down with spyware - the evil junk that hijacks IE and renders a system virtually useless. How many times have you been called to a family member’s house to clean up their system? Or had to call your techie friend to come clean yours? It’s often quite awkward - the system slows to a crawl and every other mouse click conjures up some species of perverse, obscene image. What most people don’t realize, however, is that there is a very simple and powerful way to defend your system (and/or the systems of your loved ones) in one fell swoop.

Don’t use Internet Explorer.

What makes other browsers better than IE at protecting vs. spyware and other attacks? Well, it’s simple really - most other browsers don’t make it so easy to install malicious software on your system without you knowing about it. IE makes it relatively trivial through two features called ActiveX and Active Scripting. These technologies were designed specifically for the purpose of giving websites more control over a user’s computer. Unfortunately, as we have seen with exploit after exploit - that’s not always a good thing.

In addition to the spyware issues, IE in general has had a terrible track record when it comes to all types of serious security issues. For years now, it’s seemed like every time you turn around there is a new way to have your computer taken over via Internet Explorer. Put “internet explorer” and “allow an attacker to execute commands” (with the quotes) into Google and you’ll see what I mean.

In IE’s defense, many anti-Microsoft types will claim that it’s not possible to lock down IE at all. This is not true. It is possible — but if and only if you have a fair amount of technical know-how on the subject, and the time to do it. My personal view, however, is that tools such as Internet browsers should not require expertise and configuration time to be able to use them safely.

Standards

This is likely to get me in some hot water with my fellow security enthusiasts, but I find this issue to be of even more concern than that of IE’s security. The Internet works for one simple reason - everything at its core has been built on agreements that bind it together. Whether a computer is connected from California or Sri Lanka, it’s going to speak the same language and obey the same rules - the rules defined by standards. If this weren’t the case there would be no Internet at all. These agreements are forged by a body of people whose goal is nothing short of designing a better and more efficient Internet for everyone. Microsoft, for some odd reason, seems bent on breaking stride with these agreed-upon standards. Case in point: the next time you’re in a bookstore, head over to the technology section and pick up a book on XHTML or CSS. These are two major web standards that deal with how web pages are displayed to users, and within any book on the subjects you will find one common theme:

The absolute worst browser when it comes to supporting the standards is Internet Explorer.

Page after page in these books will reveal features supported in other browsers, but not in IE. Ask yourself why a company would choose not to support standards that benefit everyone? The way I see it, it’s for precisely one of two reasons — either they are unable to, or they don’t want to. Given the fact that they are a multi-billion dollar company (one of the richest on the planet), I can’t help but lean toward the second option. Without going into too much detail (See Longhorn), they have their own plans, and those plans involve implementing their own standard and forcing it upon the world. Call me a geek/hippie, but the idea of a multi-billion dollar corporation snubbing its nose at agreed-upon standards is nothing short of infuriating.

Options

Lucky for us, we have alternatives. The good news is that the alternative browsers are actually as good or better than IE. There are many out there, but in my opinion the Mozilla products are the best. I personally prefer and recommend Mozilla Firefox. Not only does it keep your browsing sessions a lot more secure and spyware-free, but it also supports the standards religiously and has a wide range of powerful features. Arguably the biggest benefit to using a Mozilla-based product is something called tabbed browsing. What this allows you to do is have multiple pages open within a single browser window. Rather than going from window to window in the taskbar, you can simply switch between clearly visible tabs, all within the same view. You can even do this and many other commands via the keyboard if you are into that sort of thing.

Using Firefox will not require any major shift in your daily browsing habits. It’ll import your favorites automatically, and you can benefit from the improved security starting the first time you open it. With the popup blocking enabled, you can breath quite a bit easier when browsing to unknown sites. Attempts to install garbage on your system that could have easily succeeded if you were using IE will simply be ignored by Firefox. Plus, the whole time you’re browsing you’ll know that you are doing your part to keep the soul of the Internet alive by choosing to use a browser whose developers actually care about standards.

Of course, I still use IE. (pause for effect) …it’s how I get my Windows security updates. : Seriously though - Windows Update is a must, and it only works in IE, so that in itself is a good reason to fire up IE once in a while. Aside from Windows Update though, there is still the occasional site that I go to that doesn’t look right in any other browser. Those sites, by the way, are all the more reason to not use IE. They weren’t written according to the standards, and they look bad in any browser other than IE as a result of that fact. Using IE all the time just because the occasional site is designed so poorly as to look like crap in other browsers is utterly bad form. I implore you not to give into this temptation.

Wrapping It Up

So, in closing, I leave you with two thoughts:

1. Due to the combination of ActiveX, scripting, and its integration with the Windows operating system, Internet Explorer is more vulnerable to attack than many other browsers.

2. The designers of Internet Explorer have purposely turned their back on the standards designed to benefit the Internet as a whole. They have done this for years, continue to do it today, and appear to have nothing but their own interests at heart.

I ask that you consider these points and pull down a copy of Firefox, Opera, or another alternative browser. Run it for a week and see how it feels. As mentioned above, I personally recommend Firefox due to its excellent development team and large user base. Once you have had some time to get to know your new onramp to the web, I think you’ll find that you’ll wish you had switched sooner. No longer will you have to worry about garbage clogging up your system because of your browser, or having to make a mad rush for a patch every time an IE vulnerability is released.

Finally, and most importantly - spread the word. It’s time now for us to put alternative browsers on the map and let it be known that we are aware of our choices. We need not settle for what we are being fed when there are better, more secure alternatives out there.

If you have any questions, feel my position is flawed, or would just like to give some feedback, I can be reached at [email protected].

References to this Article

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://mt.lockergnome.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/6940

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch is a well written article by an MCSE. Rather than accusing me of

Weblog: Ecademy Blogs

Tracked: June 16, 2004 01:18 AM

Excerpt: LG's Daniel Miessler on why you should dump IE and download Firefox...

Weblog: Neil's Smaller World

Tracked: June 16, 2004 03:05 AM

Excerpt: The Title says it all, written by a Microsoft Certified Tech guy, rational thoughts on why IE is a bad thing. -- Karanbir Singh { http://www.karan.org/ }

Weblog: Karanbir Singh - Thinkability

Tracked: June 16, 2004 06:04 AM

Warum man den Internet Explorer liegen lassen sollte

Excerpt: Warum man den Internet Explorer liegen lassen sollte

Weblog: Sebastian Werner

Tracked: June 16, 2004 06:07 AM

dump IE - seriously

Excerpt: I haven't read any Lockergnome content in some months now, and I have to say that I do feel somewhat smarter. However, while chasing links today, I ran across this article: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer. Citing security and standards as prima...

Weblog: the life of justin

Tracked: June 16, 2004 08:30 AM

Excerpt: Daniel Miessler explains why users should stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer [lockergnome.com]. I concur.

Weblog: The Indiana Jones School of Management

Tracked: June 16, 2004 11:53 AM

http://markyologist.com/blog/archive/2004/06/16/195.aspx

Excerpt:

Weblog:

Tracked: June 16, 2004 01:20 PM

Internet Explorer - Ab in den Müll!

Excerpt: Chris Pirillo ruft in diesem Artikel dazu auf, den Internet Explorer endlich zu begraben und stattdessen "alternative" Browser wie Opera oder Mozilla Firefox zu benutzen. Seine Thesen kann ich (als Firefox-Nutzer) nur unterschreiben ... inzwis...

Weblog: R-Craven.de

Tracked: June 16, 2004 01:26 PM

http://xanoo.com/ct/blog/?108741915509451136

Excerpt: by the way, "why you should dump internet explorer" (linked by asa) is a good read and yet another reason to make the switch. so what are you still waiting for?

Weblog: This boy's life

Tracked: June 16, 2004 02:03 PM

http://xanoo.com/ct/blog/?108741915509451136

Excerpt: by the way, "why you should dump internet explorer" (linked by asa) is a good read and yet another reason to make the switch. so what are you still waiting for?

Weblog: This boy's life

Tracked: June 16, 2004 02:04 PM

Dumping Internet Explorer

Excerpt: Daniel Miessler has written an article on why we should dump IE, what makes this article interesting is that Daniel is a MCSE making him some one who is not a Microsoft hater that is advocating not using IE. He also gives you alternative browsers as w...

Weblog: Spectre013

Tracked: June 16, 2004 02:34 PM

firefox, round 2 (and other open source goodness)

Excerpt: lockergnome is running an article on why you should dump internet explorer, written by (this is the interesting part) an msce. pertinent quotes on security...

Weblog: ramblinations

Tracked: June 16, 2004 02:58 PM

dump Internet Explorer!

Excerpt: I agree with this wholeheartedly: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch If you switch to Mozilla Firefox, you will not regret it, and you will be annoyed each time you have to use IE again....

Weblog: Fingertoe.com

Tracked: June 16, 2004 06:37 PM

"Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer"

Excerpt: Written by an MCSE. I'll leave the "certification" jokes aside. Lots of compelling (if vague) reasons. If you want, we can break out specific standards being broken. CSS alone could take up many posts.

Weblog: Something Similar

Tracked: June 16, 2004 07:23 PM

Quieter today

Excerpt: Oddly enough, just a few minutes after I was recommending Mozilla to someone for probably the billionth time (What can I say? Mozilla just makes me wax evangelical), I ran across this Lockergnome article: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer....

Weblog: rough around the edges

Tracked: June 16, 2004 08:26 PM

Time to dump IE

Excerpt: Some interesting reasons for dumping Internet Explorer, personally I've been using Firefox and other Mozilla variants for about 2 years now, I only use Exploder on those nasty sites that require it.

Weblog: JohnMelville.com

Tracked: June 16, 2004 08:37 PM

New0Mozilla0applications

Excerpt:

Weblog:

Tracked: June 17, 2004 04:08 AM

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch Due to the combination of ActiveX, scripting, and its integration with the Windows operating system, Internet Explorer is more vulnerable to attack than many other browsers. The...

Weblog: Kemitix.net

Tracked: June 17, 2004 05:20 AM

Have you switched your browser yet?

Excerpt: Why you should dump Internet Explorer. I did so several years back, and other than having to fire it up for the occasional site designed by a completely clueless designer, I honestly haven't missed it... suffice it to say, there's a reason I often r...

Weblog: Letters to the World

Tracked: June 17, 2004 05:28 AM

Switch To Firefox

Excerpt: Using Internet Explorer? You should switch to Firefox. Here's why...

Weblog: Bluegreen Blog

Tracked: June 17, 2004 06:41 AM

Should We Dump Internet Explorer?

Excerpt: Just came across a post on Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer. The main reasons stated are the security problems IE has and it's non-compliancy with web standards. And I totally agree with those reasons. But I would also like...

Weblog: Subzero Blue

Tracked: June 17, 2004 07:26 AM

why you should dump IE

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer: An excellent article written by an MCSE about all that is wrong with IE; bad standards-compliance, security flaws, and many other things that make this browser the last one anyone should use in navigating the web....

Weblog: star shaped

Tracked: June 17, 2004 08:48 AM

Nog een goed artikel: waarom Internet Explorer dumpen

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer De auteur van bovenstaand artikel, Chris Pirillo houdt zich weg van Internet Explorer bashing, maar somt daarentegen wel een aantal redenen op om over te schakelen op een alternatieve browser. Het is niet omdat ...

Weblog: Blanko

Tracked: June 17, 2004 09:09 AM

Excerpt: Daniel Miessler has written an article on why you should stop using IE as your primary browser. The thing that makes this article so interesting is that Daniel is a MCSE someone who works with Microso

Weblog: XarayaGeek.com

Tracked: June 17, 2004 09:45 AM

Why you should Dump Internet Explorer

Excerpt: I couldn't agree more on this article contents, Why you should dump Internet Explorer? If you liked that, you should also check out The Door is Ajar and one GOOD option :).

Weblog:

Tracked: June 17, 2004 10:49 AM

http://www.vraal.com/MT/dan/archives/000173.html

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - by a non-MS-basher! Here - Mozilla's Firefox. My primary browser now at home and at work....

Weblog: Cranky Dan

Tracked: June 17, 2004 10:50 AM

Why you should use Firefox

Excerpt: This article is a pretty good reason.

Weblog: Twisted View

Tracked: June 17, 2004 10:50 AM

I still use IE; it’s how I get my Windows security updates

Excerpt: I still use IE, it’s how I get my Windows security updates: Daniel Miessler over at lockergnome (who is an MSCE) beats the drum on why it's about time you switched browsers. Like him, IE gets fired up every now...

Weblog: resolve

Tracked: June 17, 2004 11:47 AM

I still use IE; it’s how I get my Windows security updates

Excerpt: I still use IE, it’s how I get my Windows security updates: Daniel Miessler over at lockergnome (who is an MCSE) beats the drum on why it's about time you switched browsers. Like him, IE gets fired up every now...

Weblog: resolve

Tracked: June 17, 2004 11:50 AM

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch An excellent opinion piece! it speaks the truth - give Firefox a try and you'll never go back (apart from the occasional site)!

Weblog: Will

Tracked: June 17, 2004 04:56 PM

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watc

Excerpt: This is a great article done by my best friend. He points out some great points on the browser issue. This is not an article made for techies, but it may even open some of there eyes, it is made...

Weblog: KenSwain.com

Tracked: June 17, 2004 09:22 PM

Great artical.

Excerpt: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer - Lockergnome's Tech News Watch This is a great article done by my best friend. He points out some great points on the browser issue. This is not an article made for techies, but...

Weblog: KenSwain.com

Tracked: June 18, 2004 01:57 AM

http://www.vig-clan.ch

Excerpt:

Weblog:

Tracked: June 18, 2004 02:18 AM

It Has Crashed So Often You've Wondered If Osama bin Laden Designed It (Joe Gandelman)

Excerpt: So here's the argument you've been longing for: a real, cohesive argument on why you should dump Internet Explorer....

Weblog: Dean's World

Tracked: June 18, 2004 07:55 AM

By The Way

Excerpt: Have I reminded you today to dump Internet Explorer? This article is very in-depth and informative. Link lifted from Dean's World.

Weblog: hard times

Tracked: June 18, 2004 08:19 AM

Why You Should Dump the Internet Explorer

Excerpt: Daniel, an MCSE wrote this nice article: Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer with simple arguments - the benefits of using IE are too few - and the faults too great - to put off the adoption of an alternative...

Weblog: Technology & Business News, Project Management & Marketing comments, review and links by Christoph C. Cemper, Project Manager

Tracked: June 18, 2004 10:36 AM

why you should dump internet explorer

Excerpt:

An article on Lockernome notes some good reasons why you should dump Internet Explorer. Daniel makes some good points, ...

Weblog: All The Good Titles Were Taken

Tracked: June 18, 2004 12:58 PM

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archi..._explorer.phtml

if anyone wants to know more about web standards and why, they can try here at my BF's group, the WSP (Web Standards Org). (& i deleted the IE icon off my PC's desktop about 4 years ago and have never looked back, yay mozilla)

Probably a good idea to tell people why you dont like Opera, Holy. People will be reading this thread alot in the future, I suspect... I myself use Safari...works fine..

Ok well there is only one real problem I have with Opera.

It screws up any page using CSS2 or CSS3. It barely supports them period. Which really sucks from a web designers standpoint considering a lot of new websites use those.

I admit it is fast. But again, the interface is fugly. I'm more the simplistic type person. But that's only my opinion.

The CSS problem HAS to be fixed. It kills me when I'm trying to develop a site that works in every browser but I want to use CSS2 or 3 that have more options.

Edited by HolyLiaison

Ok well there is only one real problem I have with Opera.

It screws up any page using CSS2 or CSS3. It barely supports them period. Which really sucks from a web designers standpoint considering a lot of new websites use those.

I admit it is fast. But again, the interface is fugly. I'm more the simplistic type person. But that's only my opinion.

The CSS problem HAS to be fixed. It kills me when I'm trying to develop a site that works in every browser but I want to use CSS2 or 3 that have more options.

some say exactly the opposite about CSS but I don't know about that so I'll tell you about the gui. It's the most customisable of all. It can look simple and the mouse does everything. And it's by far the fastest browser.

Just about everyone reading this has seen computers that have been beaten down with spyware - the evil junk that hijacks IE and renders a system virtually useless.

I learned that the hard way. Once I get my comp working again I know I'll be switching.

Switched to Firefox on first release. I think it was called "Ph" (Losing my memory :D) something back then. Then it switched to Firebird, now Firefox. Greatest browser ever.

phoenix

and the mail was firebird (still is)

i went as far as getting xp lite and uninstalling OE,IE, WMP, netmeeting, and a whole lotta other useless crap

you use lite now nate? I wanna hear some reviews cause I'd like to install it on my system

it's a tiny addon that deletes stuff

it isn't an entire os or anything

it can be reversible, but i had no intention of ever putting that crap back on

it can uninstall damn near anything on an xp install, and it fixed an issue i was having with BSODs and "windows file protection", because it killed that function altogether

i've had it for a long time, and i like it

phoenix

and the mail was firebird (still is)

i went as far as getting xp lite and uninstalling OE,IE, WMP, netmeeting, and a whole lotta other useless crap

Mozilla mail client is Thunderbird.

http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird

Firebird was the initial release name but they had to change it because there's a Database company with software named the samething.

aight...if you tell me what CSS or whatever is...then i'll believe you

CSS: Cascading Style Sheets, a W3C Recommendation. Stylesheets when attached to documents describe how the document is displayed or printed, e.g. a CSS sheet is attached to an HTML document, to influence its layout when accessed via a browser. CSS supports cascading, i.e. a single document may use two or more stylesheets that are than applied according to specified priorities (=cascade).

Opera doesn't have a problem with the original CSS. It's just CSS2 and CSS3. But they have quite a few nice features every web designer is switching to. Which is why Opera has to get on their horse and update it.

i absolutely agree with that very interesting and informative article...i hate ie6...it`s too fucking slow for one thing on 56k...mozilla firebird flies on 56k..and i use foxmail english version 5.0 for my email client...very nice...but i would agree that there is some microsoft software that i do like...for example, the scanner/ camera wizard in xp is near-perfect and microsoft word is one of my most used apps.....

Edited by kiwibank