WinMX 3.52 Beta 5 Review

HolyLiaison

Not only are they still developing WinMX, they're still updating parts of the program that have nothing to do with filesharing then releasing it like it's something special.

This program is so outdated it reminds me of Windows 95, even Windows 3.11 somewhat. Yes it does infact still work if you don't mind waiting a year in a line of people like you would at a busy grocery store. And don't say "Well you're not looking hard enough." I searched for plenty of stuff *I* wanted and the shortest line was 34 people. 34 people! I would have been waiting for ages. People these days want instant access to everything and this thing doesn't even come close. Which is why they need to get their act together before they dissapear.

The user interface is horrid. Like I said it reminds me of Windows 95. The buttons are all crammed together, and the Settings window is confusing as hell. It kinda has the old Napster look but crammed together like sardines in a can.

The chat service in WinMX is crappy too. I can stand having a random name when I logon to WinMX, but making a chatroom and having _76324GF^%RTD6HG5 attached to the end of the name of my room is a little much. If I was going to make a room on there for Swapciety.com I wouldn't want the room name to be Swapciety.com_IRAPEDONKEYSLATEATNIGHTINTHERAINUNDERATREE24/7. How am I supposed to share that with a friend? I mean, they wont even know who I am anyways, because when I logon my name changed from HolyLiaison to HolyLiaison76426356DONKEYSRULEMAHNUTS.

If you're looking for some rare files that are only on WinMX, sure go ahead and use it. Just be prepared to wait a loooooooooong time to get it.

What they need to do to fix their mess:

1) Update the user interface. Big time.

2) Cut down on all the buttons. Most of them are unnesessary.

3) Support other protocols like Gnutella 1/2 or maybe even Direct Connect. Which would be easy to work in with the chat service. And it would probably work much better.

As far as my rating for WinMX 3.52 Beta 5? 1 out of 5. The program is horrible. I have absolutely no use for the thing. Everything I find on there I can get somewhere else in a fraction of the time it would take on WinMX. Not to mention I wouldn't projectile vomit every time I have to look at my monitor thinking Windows 95 is running.

Source:

http://www.swapciety.com

You can also comment on this review here:

http://www.swapciety.com/articles.php?action=show&id=6

Edited by DudeAsInCool

are you some fuckwit kazaa n00b or something..

how will making it a multi network client make it any better....jeeez, and stop moaning about the gui..it may look ugly compared to squeck faced kazaa but most people who can string a sentence together can manage to use it.

are you some fuckwit kazaa n00b or something..

how will making it a multi network client make it any better....jeeez, and stop moaning about the gui..it may look ugly compared to squeck faced kazaa but most people who can string a sentence together can manage to use it.

This was MY review. Not yours. Just because I don't like it doesn't give you or anyone else the right to call me a fuckwit of any kind. I started posting here yesterday because I thought after lurking for 6 months that was enough, maybe it wasn't. This is why I don't post on forums, because of people like you.

And for your information I don't use Kazaa. The only thing I use is BitTorrent. And if I were you I'd open my eyes and use it too and quit using that shitty software called WinMX.

Edited by HolyLiaison

well boo fucking hoo, so you spam some shit from another forum and then expect people who dont agree with your review...not to post..

You really should go back to lurking..

No I expect them to respect my opinion and not call me a fuckwit. If you didn't like the review just say it. Don't call me names.

Grow up.

Note: This review is mine, from my website.

Edited by HolyLiaison

exactly..you spammed shit from another website..

fuckwit..

you cant honestly think of one good point that winmx has...apart from naming all the stereotype faults with it..

Uh, you're a mod? How?

According to the main page this forum is to be used for: "Reviews or articles you wrote or found"

That's exactly what I posted. And if I were you I would go read the definition of spam.

i am a mod because i am vastly superior to fuckwits like you, fair point its in the "articles and opinions" page..but its in a forum and therefore its open to comment..

Comments yes. Not harrasment.

You calling me a fuckwit and being a mod gives the site a bad name, and makes me want to leave.

Edited by HolyLiaison

bye

HolyLiason has a right to post stuff like this. personally i found the article interesting, and pretty spot on in its summation of winMX.

Accusing liason of spam and calling him a fuckwit because he posts something you don't happen to agree with is well out of line for someone claiming to be a moderator.

People post stuff from other websites here all the friggin time, so why is this considered spam? Especially since it is something the original poster actually wrote himself.

HolyLiason has a right to post stuff like this. personally i found the article interesting, and pretty spot on in its summation of winMX.

Accusing liason of spam and calling him a fuckwit because he posts something you don't happen to agree with is well out of line for someone claiming to be a moderator.

People post stuff from other websites here all the friggin time, so why is this considered spam? Especially since it is something the original poster actually wrote himself.

Thank you.

Mr. Jips comments were out of line--sorry none of the admins were here to catch them. Further, the comments are not reflective of the spirit of the site, or the admins or the mods and we apologize. It wont happen again...

Make yourself at home, Holy Liaison...

I never had much luck with WinMX... far too many incompletes with it so I can't say I liked it for that reason, though it was better (with my slow connection) than KaZaA ever was..

To me the gui does not matter, the Qs suck, but I can still get a lot of high quality music when i want it. Although i really dont go looking for music much these days, as I have pretty much all i need. A default basic version, and advanced one similar to how spybot is set up would be a good choice for noobs not yet ready, or willing to deal with the range of settings.

Mr. Jips comments were out of line--sorry none of the admins were here to catch them. Further, the comments are not reflective of the spirit of the site, or the admins or the mods and we apologize. It wont happen again...

I double that and again...

really sorry about this man

Mr. Jips comments were out of line--sorry none of the admins were here to catch them.  Further, the comments are not reflective of the spirit of the site, or the admins or the mods and we apologize.  It wont happen again...

I double that and again...

really sorry about this man

It's all gravy. If he was having a bad day, whatever, I understand. :bigsmile: