Bread - The Soft Music Hit Factory

DudeAsInCool

This band had alot of hits on the radio, and although they were sort of a pop band, you couldnt really dismiss them either - they wrote very good songs. Coincidentally, I met one of the founders Robb Royer on a film project, who has since gone on to tear up the country music charts with his latest compositions. Royer and Griffins won an Academy Award for their song For All we Know for the movie Lovers and Other Strangers; Royer wrote the Billboard radio song of the year "Sold" in 1995; Mary Chapin Carpenter's first top five hit "Quittin' Time"; and has written for Ray Charles, The Band and Randy Travis.

Here is some info on Bread:

In addition to Robb, Bread was comprised of three otehr session musicians - David Gates, James Griffin, and later, drummer Michael Botts and keyboardist Larry Knechtel. Gates produced the first single for avant-gardist Captain Beefheart) and was once considered a member of the transplanted ''Oklahoma Mafia'' that also spawned the career of Leon Russell. The group's first album, Bread, was released in 1969 with hits "It Don't Matter to Me," "Dismal Day." Soft rock hits became the band's trademark and made them legends.

Rhino has recently released a compiliation of their work--bascially all the following songs were big sellers:

Tracks:

Make It With You

Everything I Own

Diary

Baby I'm-A Want You

It Don't Matter to Me

If

Mother Freedom

Down on My Knees

Too Much Love

Let Your Love Go

Look What You've Done

Truckin'

Guitar Man

Aubrey

Last Time

Sweet Surrender

He's a Good Lad

Daughter

Friends and Lovers

Lost Without Your Love

I had never heard of Bread until I went to live in the States. I'm sure they were reasonably well known on this side of the pond but just didnt get as much air time on the local stations I listened to back then. I would probably have dismissed them as soppy crap back in the 70's but I know quite a number of the tunes on that list so the soppy crap must have made a good impression :lol:

I feel the same way, Umma. Yet, some of the songs have endured- I think Make It With You has turne into a classic song. For Pop baladeers, they were pretty good...

I actually saw David Gates & Bread live back in the early 70's....had a 2nd row seat and was astounded at how LOUD they played live....way more guitar than on their recordings. Not a bad concert at all, either.

Bread is okay. They sure sold lots of albums back in the day. Good "make out" music.

:lol: that must be what rainbowdemon was being polite about

I guess I should have more to the point and called it "hide the weenie" music. :)

Redneck4sure Posted: Jun 20 2004, 01:24 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 269

I would like to point out that when you bow you need to be real careful. You know how some people around here are. Never bend over without looking to see who is behind you.

This Redneck fellow is one to be watched......

I spoke to one of the founders today in Nashville - he thought you guys were tough critics but appreciated the positive overview. He also said they still sell between 350,000-500,000 albums a year today...