Flogging Molly - Skateboarding Band?

DudeAsInCool

Here was another headliner at the Wiltern that I didnt know anything about. The musicians sound serious, fun and eclectic, all wrapped in one. Anyone up on their stuff?

Here's a recent review from from Switchmagazine.com on one of their shows:

Flogging Molly

Guess what? I saw a great live show the other night. Imagine that it's 2000, the decade of the cheesy boy bands yet hidden in the recesses of these United States, and you can still findmusical talent. When you are really lucky, that talent is coupled with a kickin' live show. See Flogging Molly and get lucky. As soon as Flogging Molly hits the stage you're like "Fiddles, mandolins, accordions...this could get interesting!" What happens next is well beyond interesting. From the first note, aside from playing well this band plays with PASSION . What the hell is passion you might ask? That's when you do something you love and you do it with everything you've got. Flogging Molly IS passion. The group plays in such a way it forces even the most diehard corner-standers to bob and move as they take notice.

The band creates something best described as melodic frenzy. Bringing the music to the crowd seems to be what Flogging Molly is all about, "To us CD's are a vehicle,shows are where it's going," says Dave King who fronts the band. "Music gotta go back to the pulpits". King, a transplanted Dubliner (that's in Ireland for you less fortunate) leads the group with fire on his head and fire in his voice. He pulls from his troubled youth the material for his music. To King, though the group may play both upbeat and distressing tunes, Flogging Molly is a "celebration of life". Flogging Molly is currently on tour. Check out thier site at Flogging Molly

Matt Hensley Flogging Molly's accordian guru

You might not know it, but Matt Hensley and a few others helped usher in modern skateboarding. By "modern", I mean the style of street skating that did not exist until the late '80s (you guys are lucky we are not still doing ho-ho's and early grabs). Hensley, who rode for H-street before a stint as a billiards player and finally ending up as the accordion player for Flogging Mollym considers himself a full time accordionist. "Skateboarding is my background, but music is what I do!" chimes Hensley. Hensley still skates and still looks back fondly on his pro years. "I did good for a while," he says. Matt still counts such skate heros as Natas, Steve Clair, Neil Blender, Tony Alva and even a pre-jail Gator as influences in his skate career. He also gives props to current legends including Musca while saying "No one will ever do a better 360 flip than Jason Lee". All and all, Hensley, whether skating, playing billiards or the accordion blames his successes on one thing -- PRACTICE.

post-2-1087673400.jpg

Floggin Molly in the Pop section??? I love their stuff, definatley check it out.

They seem to eclectic to categorize - how about bluegrass/country/folk?