Video shows homeless man being set ablaze

Bombardier

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -- Police asked local TV stations to air a surveillance video showing a homeless man who was set ablaze flailing his arms and running in a circle as he tried to extinguish the flames.

Police were looking for up to eight men who participated in the attack outside an agency that helps the homeless. The victim, Lucas Adama Wiser, 21, was sleeping on a bench when he was set on fire Tuesday, and remained hospitalized Thursday with third-degree burns.

"I don't know if this was a joke that they thought they were playing on somebody or what their mindset was, but it was a pretty sick joke," Police Lt. Rocky Vipond said. "We're hoping someone might recognize that vehicle and possibly the group of guys."

The surveillance video at Corpus Christi Metro Ministries showed a dark sport utility vehicle and a smaller vehicle pulling up to Wiser and setting him on fire.

Police could not identify license plate numbers from the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/06/17...e.ap/index.html

Edited by Shawn

In another thread Potato made the comment about nuts being from Minn. so often. I gotta admit that there are plenty of em in Tx. People like those are why I don't leave home without my Glock. :reallymad:

Absolutely disgusting. Find the people who did this, lock em up, and throw away the key

:reallymad: :reallymad: :reallymad: :reallymad: :reallymad:

eye for an eye.... tooth for a tooth...

harsh justice is required to deter things like this happening in the first place.

So what would you suggest as an appropriate deterrent Ken? Seems to me there isn't one as things are now. There are too many humanitarians pleading the rights of the criminal instead of upholding the rights of the victims they inflict this sort of brutality upon. People who carry out those sort of callous acts should be punished with like. I don't see anything unfair or uncivilised about that.

20 yrs minimum in prison if it's a first offense. If they have prior convictions...life without parole. I would really prefer to see them executed. The general public's right to be safe from scum to me is more important than the "maybe they will learn a lesson and do better" if we let them off light. :angry:

The general public's right to be safe from scum to me is more important than the "maybe they will learn a lesson and do better" if we let them off light. :angry:

Im one of the minority who believes people can transform - a tenet of all major religions

Im one of the minority who believes people can transform - a tenet of all major religions

Some people do change. Unfortunately I think the majority don't but I don't have statistics to back up that belief. I see cases all the time where the perpetrators of serious crimes have an arrest record with 10 or more convictions. I believe that a stiff penalty then execute repeat offenders will reduce the crime rate. The number of people commiting crimes is not that high. It is the small percentage of criminals that just keep on and on and on. My sympathy is with the victim. To Hell with the criminal. I am not in favor of setting the criminal on fire to teach him a lesson. Either lock him up or execute him.

As an atheist I don't subscribe to all the tenets of major religions. I do believe people can change. There are some people that I wouldn't give that chance. Here are 8 of them.

I think a lot of them would transform beforehand and not do the damn crime in the first place if they thought it meant certain death or equal retribution.

Prevention is better than cure. Religion probably teaches that too ;)

So what would you suggest as an appropriate deterrent Ken?

The deterents in place aren't being used properly. What your emotional self is looking at is the failure to implement the existing laws.

Murder can either be a death sentence or a prison term of more than what is given today. Probation shouldn't be awareded nearly as much as it is now, especially in a murder case.

If you think about the "eye for an eye" thing long enough though, you'll see it has lots of flaws and holes in it.

I'm just curious. If someone steals something, should their hands be cut off? How about hit and run crimes with a car. Should they be run over with a car? Even if the person didn't die? These are bad examples, because I don't feel like thinking right now, but I'm sure if you honestly examin the eye for an eye practice, you'll see what I see.

I'd love to see the eye for an eye thing when downloading and uploading copyrighted material becomes a criminal offense. Should be pretty funny.

I'm just curious. If someone steals something, should their hands be cut off?

not unless they steal somebodys hands :psychofun:

eye for an eye.... tooth for a tooth...

harsh justice is required to deter things like this happening in the first place.

I have a problem with our penial system...I don't like the fact that our tax dollars support these bums in jail. I feel if someone kills and is found guilty, they should be exterminated.

Edited by Warflower