Computer RAM: A Crucial Component in Video Editing

Bombardier

Next to the CPU, RAM is one of the most speed-critical elements on your computer. In most cases, even with a fast CPU, a system without enough RAM will be very sluggish. You can tell if a system has this problem quite easily: look at the hard drive indicator light. On systems without enough RAM, this light will be constantly blinking off and on, even if the user isn't doing much. Although Movie Maker 2 lists the minimum RAM requirement at 128 MB, the recommended amount is 512 MB.

The more RAM a system has, the less it has to access the hard drive to swap out data and the longer that hard drive will last. Think of RAM like this: when your CPU requests a file, the hard drive delivers that file and puts it into RAM where it can be manipulated with greater speed. The next file you request will also need to be loaded into RAM—and if there's not enough RAM to store both files, you have to wait while the computer puts the first file back onto the hard drive before it loads the second file. This takes time and slows your computer down a great deal.

In this column, I'll talk about how much RAM you need for a fun video-editing experience using Windows Movie Maker. I'll also cover what kind of RAM and what size of RAM you should look for to upgrade your system.

Windows Movie Maker 2 is an upgrade to the video editing accessory that comes with Windows XP. Check Windows Movie Maker 2 Download for system requirements and the free download. For more information about using Movie Maker, see two Expert Zone columns, Moviemaking 101 and Moviemaking 202, and Focus On: Windows Movie Maker. To learn more about working with digital video, read my book, Faster Smarter Digital Video (Microsoft Press, 2002).

RAM Requirements for Video Editing

Wondering if you need to upgrade your system RAM? I'll make it easy for you: if you have less than 512 MB, add more—and that's without even considering video editing. Microsoft Windows XP needs 256 MB of RAM just to breathe on a system, and once you start loading up several applications, the system becomes hungry for more. 512 MB is a sweet spot that will allow you to have multiple applications open and allow everything to remain responsive and fast. 512 MB is a good starting point for a video-editing system too, and the sky's the limit when it comes to adding more. 768 MB to 1 GB is a great amount to have when editing large projects, but you may want to see if 512 MB suits you first before upgrading. There's a point of diminishing returns where adding more RAM won't give you better system performance.

Here's another way to determine whether your Windows XP-based system could use more RAM. Use your computer as you normally would for a couple of days, but without turning it off. Open the applications you'd normally open, and perform the tasks you'd normally perform. If you're already doing some video editing, even better! Then follow these steps:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE on your keyboard. Then open the Windows Task Manager.

2. On the Performance tab, under Commit Charge, look at the Peak number, as shown in Figure 1 circled in red.

jasondunn-ram-figure1.gif

This number represents, in kilobytes (KB), the highest amount of system RAM you used since last rebooting. Divide this number by 1000 to get the results in megabytes (MB). For example, Figure 1 shows that on my system, I was using up 613 MB of RAM at one point. I have 1000 MB of RAM on that system, so I'm safe. On your computer, if that number is higher than the amount of RAM you have installed, upgrade to at least that number. (A little more is better though.)

Picking the Right RAM

Many types of RAM are on the market, but you only need to worry about getting the type that's compatible with your motherboard. The fastest RAM on the market currently is RDRAM 1066, a high-speed RAM type found in some high-end Pentium 4 motherboards. Although it's certainly the best RAM in terms of speed, it's expensive. RDRAM has fallen out of favor lately, so buying it is only a good investment if you already have a computer that accepts this type of RAM.

Double Data Rate-Synchronous DRAM (DDR) RAM is a more common type of RAM and is less expensive. DDR400 is currently at the top of the heap, so if you want to strike a balance between performance and price, DDR300 or DDR266 is the way to go. The number after the "DDR" represents the speed. High-end motherboards are now supporting 400 MHz speed RAM. DDR400 is necessary for the latest motherboards from Intel that support the 800 MHz bus speeds, and AMD has recently introduced support for this new high-speed RAM. (The new AMD Athlon XP 3200+ requires DDR400.) It's a little confusing, but the bottom line is to make sure you find out what type of RAM your system requires and to buy that type of RAM. You may need to consult your motherboard manual or check the Web site of the company you purchased your computer from.

jasondunn-ram-figure2.jpg

Most motherboards will support RDRAM or DDR, but not both. When you're buying a motherboard, you should think about the type of RAM you want to use, since you won't be able to switch RAM types later.

Is Generic RAM the Way to Go?

In a word, no. When you're shopping for RAM, you'll come across two types: generic RAM, often called "unbrokered," and name-brand RAM from companies such as Crucial Technology, Kingston, and Corsair, and others. The unbrokered RAM will always be less expensive, but there's a reason for that: this RAM is usually made up of memory chips left over from the larger name-brand buyers. The reality is, only a few factories in the world create RAM chips. They resell the chips to other companies, and not all the buying companies have the same standards for quality. I've had problems with RAM going bad on me in the past, and diagnosing bad RAM is one of the most frustrating processes there is. And the bad RAM I've had has always been the less expensive, generic type.

Since switching exclusively to Crucial-brand RAM a few years ago, I've never had a problem. Kingston and Corsair are equally good brands. When buying your RAM, ask the seller whether the RAM is unbrokered. If it is, don't buy.

What Size of RAM Should You Buy?

Always try to buy the largest single stick of RAM that you can, within reason. For instance, if your computer has two memory slots on it and you want to put 512 MB of RAM in it, you have the choice of buying two 256 MB sticks or one 512 MB stick. The 256 MB sticks may be a few dollars cheaper, but what happens if you want to add more RAM later? You're out of slots. If you have two memory slots, buy your RAM in 512 MB sizes. However, if the motherboard has three or four memory slots, you can get away with 256 MB sticks of RAM.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...gust11_ram.mspx

• 6 months later...

This article was very helpful for me as I have just purchased an HP PC with the AMD Athlon xP 3200+ Processor with 512 of DDR SDRAM,. 200 Gigs HD and DVD+RW/CD-RW, CD-ROM drive and all that jazz.

:Here's to you:

Be careful and don't let buttmonkey crash it. :lol:

Red-

That was low man. Give ole Joe a break. :) But I probably should keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't break anything accidently. LOL Just kidding Joey.

LMAO!!! :) You are a trip! Oh yeah I have a name too. It's Pam by the way.

The few people that don't call me redneck or asshole call me Keith.

And you know I am just funning with Joey. I could tell you some of my motorcycle stories but I will spare you. I never hit a deer though. I friend of mine hit a goat at 80mph dead center from the side and cut it in half. He didn't even crash. The motorcycle was sho nuff screwed up. You can't imagine how bad it smelled. Goat guts roasting on a hot engine. :lol:

I know. Too much info. :bigsmile:

Nice to meet you officially Keith. LOL I know you are just messing with Joe, I was just trying cover myself from his wrath. LOL I am not scared of him though. :) Anyway, I am so glad I didn't take him up on his motorcycle ride offer because you never know when a wild animal is going to come out of the woods and charge you. LOL Well not really. But anyway, thanks for the graphic image....poor little goat. I live across the street from a goat pasture. Cute little things though. :)

Nice to meet you too. You know I really miss living in Georgia and I am biased in favor of anyone that lives there, especially the women! To put it another way, I love those Georgia peaches. You just can't beat those corn fed gals, lord have mercy. :bigsmile:

I know that living across the street from a goat pasture can be very fragrant experience. May you always find yourself up-wind. :lol:

I making notes here. I notice that you think goats are cute and you like Joey. Is there much resemblance between the two? If so.......from which end? :lol:

Nice to meet you too.  You know I really miss living in Georgia and I am biased in favor of anyone that lives there, especially the women!  To put it another way, I love those Georgia peaches.  You just can't beat those corn fed gals, lord have mercy.  :bigsmile:

I know that living across the street from a goat pasture can be very fragrant experience.  May you always find yourself up-wind. :lol:

I making notes here.  I notice that you think goats are cute and you like Joey.  Is there much resemblance between the two?  If so.......from which end? :lol:

Yeah suck up all you can. :P

Actually, the goat pasture never smells. It's a decent size though, and a nice view. Over the years, we have watched the goats escape when the electric fence wasn't working. So much adventure living partially in the country and near the city. LOL

You know I have never placed Joe and goats in the same category. But if he and the goat have similarities I'd say their stubborness and the opposite end of the head are a decent match. JK Joe. He still looks more like a monkey to me and acts just like one too. LOL Who said I liked him? :P

Edited by GabrielYoungFan

Who said I liked him? :P

I apologize for assuming too much. I thought when you called him "buttmonkey" it was a term of endearment.

I didn't realize it was a visual description. :lol:

I enjoyed living on the farm. Those farm animals can do some funny stuff. Like escaping when it is sub freezing and you have to all through the swamps looking for the dumb things. :)

I apologize for assuming too much. I thought when you called him "buttmonkey" it was a term of endearment.

I didn't realize it was a visual description. :lol:

I enjoyed living on the farm. Those farm animals can do some funny stuff. Like escaping when it is sub freezing and you have to all through the swamps looking for the dumb things. :)

Actually he's not that bad so you were right the first time.

Through the swamp huh? Would you believe that I am probably a mile from a swamp too? LOL Lots of variety. :)

There was a good sized swamp adjacent to our farm. We owned a very small amount of it, maybe 3 or 4 acres. We had good fields, decent pasture, woods, creeks and a pond. You could hunt most anything without going more than a few hundred yards from the house. I spent hundreds of hours hiking around with my guns.

Now I just spend hundreds of hours looking around the house hoping to cap a burglar. :lol:

I don't miss the Diamondback rattlesnakes or the water moccasins. Damn, I hate those things. :)

Edited by Redneck4sure

That sounds like some good sportsmanship there Keith. LOL :)