What's the best decade for producing great music?

Umma

What's the best decade for producing great music?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best decade for producing great music?

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • present
    • all of them
    • none of them (I hate music)
    • other (please explain)

I agree with you to a point HolyLiaison. But I just can't take the rap thingy!! :) I am not saying it sucks and I understand some people like it......but........ I'd rather listen to a cat with it's tail stuck in the door. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you to a point HolyLiaison.  But I just can't take the rap thingy!! :)  I am not saying it sucks and I understand some people like it......but........ I'd rather listen to a cat with it's tail stuck in the door. :)

Yeah well you're old. That's to be expected. :rofl:

Just kidding. I used to dislike rap. But there are other artists out there you've never heard of that you could possibly enjoy. You just have to give it a chance. ;)

Like the Beastie Boys. :bigsmile:

Edited by HolyLiaison

Yeah well you're old. That's to be expected. :rofl:

/me adds HolyLiaison to my "to be capped" list. :D

Actually, that is the most absolutely true and accurate thing I have seen posted today! :) However, my dog likes me.

I think.

Anybody seen my dog?? She's been gone for days............

But I just can't take the rap thingy!! :) I am not saying it sucks and I understand some people like it......but........ I'd rather listen to a cat with it's tail stuck in the door. :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Actually, that is the most absolutely true and accurate thing I have seen posted today! :) However, my dog likes me.

I think.

Maybe it decided to lurk for 6 months. Ass. :rofl:

I really believe there is good music always. It is the industry that either doles it out correctly or fuckers it all up like nowadays.

But any muisic fanatic knows good music exists all the time. It just get's harder during some times to find it.

I kinda concentrate on collecting older music because it is getting harder and harder to find and collect old underground music. Obviously newer music is easer to collect but perhaps good new music is not always the easiest to discover.

At least not through normal channels. But this forum should help to discover new music.

Hopefully! lol

peace

its possible,

when my cat stretches it practically doubles in size

I've always had cats in my house and I tell you... They don't stretch that much LOL

but let's keep on topic and start the funny pic thread again

I think.

just call me red....always available for a capping as long as it`s for a good cause

:) forgot something, I have lots of cats and for the most part they do stretch out a loooooooooooong way, when they want to :)

i love cats....took one to aussie with me on the plane in the early 70`s...it got bitten by a poisonous spider 2 weeks after we got there and died.......

Edited by kiwibank

I said the 80s though it looks like the sevnties is better according to the poll. The seventies probably were better but i I liked the music from the eighties better. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Moonglow and Umma about the 70s because of Pink Floyd.....

I also think the 60s were good for producing great music.....the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and many more........

Some of the stuff out now is okay too!!

TTFN :)

• 8 months later...

Oooooooh no... this is going to be long winded:

I voted for all, but have to disagree with myself, as the late 90's and today have just seen musical innovation grind to a hault. We are presented cookie cutter piles of steaming crap on a daily basis, and the trend of local music shops disappearing is really beginning to limit what is available. Even with P2P, people just aren't pushing new and innovative artists. Creed.. blah, they break up, and we get Alterbridge, blah.... Creed part 2. I think forums like this, and P2P technology could be the revolution in music today, if people start pumping out local and little known artists that are evolving away from the fecal matter music being pumped over the airwaves. The desire and technology is there, now all we need is the initiative.

Anyway, the 50's have to be mentioned for the evolution of Rock n' Roll...

The 60's for the melding of Rock n' Roll and Folk to bring social conscience...

The 70's for continuing the evolution of the 60's, the birth of metal, evolution of funk, and yes.... even disco

The 80's for the emergence (yet not birth) of rap, the death and assimilation of disco, the birth and death of new wave, and the emergence of techno...

The 90's for taking Metal back to it's dirty roots, the bastardization of Rap into pop, and for teaching us all to hate boy/girl pop groups....

• 1 month later...

The 1970s was a musical Renaissance. It had something for everyone. Baby boomers got Vietnam off their backs, and music bloomed. My favorites came late in the decade, the music of ABBA and the disco explosion.

• 1 year later...

I think music is getting back on track. Lots of innovation out there, and the web is allowing it to be exposed. The 70s may have had the best music...but I think we might be entering a new Renaissance age...

Well, I think (and my thoughts are worth exactly what you pay to hear them) music evolved steadily from the 'birth' of rock and roll, with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bill Haley, and Elvis, until the early to mid 60's, when women began to get some real attention. The Shangri-Las, Martha and the Vandellas, etc, were all part of the growth of rock and roll.

Up until the early 60's, it was a male dominated genre, and all those males (except, ironically, the ones I mentioned above), were clean cut teen idols. Not the least bit edgy or different, unless you count the differing degrees of 'dreaminess'. LOL.

The reason the Beatles were so wildy popular is because they were different. In less than 10 years, R&R had already become stagnant. Then, here are The Beatles. Hair longer than it should be, Italian boots, tight cut trousers. Rebels, for sure, and everyone knows, kids love whatever their parents see as a threat. The Beatles captured the imagination of an entire generation. The kids of the 50s were now parents in their mid to late 20's, and a new generation of teens were looking for something fresh, and the Beatles came along at the right place and time and captured lightning in a bottle.

The artists of the 60's saw their music as a vehichle for social commentary, and weren't afraid to use it. Music grew from just being about love to being about hate, war, rights and wrongs and 'where is youe conscience?'. Still, though, it wasn't a 'change', inasmuch as it was simply more growth and evolution. R&R was getting bigger.

The end of the 60's saw the explosion of color, with Motown being accepted into white society, crossing over. Sure, there have always been popular artists of color, but by the mid to late 60's, and especially into the early 70's, color was less and less of an issue where music was concerned. Good music is good music, you know?

By the late 70's, disco and punk came along, two more branches of the music tree. Just my opinion, but I think the reason their popularity soared at that time was because yet another generation was looking for something besides their parent's music, something of their own. Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Led Zep, Elton John, and company were okay for those kids, but again, their parents hated disco, and really hated punk. I guess the reason disco and punk flared up and faded so quickly was because they were pretty localized genres. If you didn't like to dance, disco scked, you know? And punk is a product of anger. Not enough angry youths to keep it at the forefront here in America, I guess.

The 80's saw the evolution of music to technology. (when you think about it, music has mirrored technology through the years). I'll state this as my own opinion, and anyone can agree or disagree, but here it is:

The worst thing to ever happen to music is MTV.

Suddenly, you not only had to sound good, you had to look good, as well. Artists began writing songs with videos in mind, sometimes at the risk of compromising musical integrity. MTV was cool at first, because the videos were already made beforehand. Once artists starting making videos along with their albums, music went into the crapper. The techno explosion was interesting, but not really earth shattering. Another branch of music. The techno-punk-pop melding had begun, with androgenous pretty people everywhere.

The genre that truly suffered the most from this was metal. 80's big hair metal is the one genre that contributed absolutely nothing to music. Sure, there were a few gunslingers on guitar, but other than that, it was 'let's party and have a good time and write poppy metal about it'. Nothing more.

About this time, rap was coming in to it's own as a genre, and picking up steam. The thing about rap, though, is the 20+ year argument as to whether it's music or not. For some it is. To me, it's an art form, an expression, but I wouldn't call it music. It hasn't evolved since it's inception, except to get more violent. It's probably the truest form of music, as an extension of the person rapping. Rappers most live the lifestyle they rap about.

Then, in the early 90's, Nirvana stopped evolution dead in it's tracks. They didn't grow from anything else, they were brand new, full of the angst the next generation was looking for. I didn't follow them, but I have a brother 12 years younger than me, and he was really rocked by Cobain's death. Apparently, Cobain spoke for an entire generation.

After Nirvana and the whole Seattle grunge thing, music was really left flat-footed, with no real direction. That's why it's been such a melding of country, pop, rap, dance, metal, etc. No one really knew what to do next, so it's all been kind of jumbled into one big wad of blah music. That's just my opinion, of course.