'How To Survive In A Recession' With Slim Thug: 'Making It Rain? That's Stupid'

NelsonG

By Maurice Bobb

Rapper/boss/hustler Slim Thug just added another slash to his handle: author. After boasting this line: “Hard times got the whole United States stressin'/I'm writin' a book, how to survive in a recession” in his second verse on “I Run” from his second solo opus, Boss of All Bosses, the towering MC decided to deliver on his promise to teach the dos and don'ts to those trying to “stack bread” and those just trying to stay in their financial lane by penning the book, "How To Survive In A Recession."

“I said in the second verse of ‘I Run’ I was gonna write a book about how to survive in a recession, so then people began to ask when was the book coming out?” Slim told RapFix. “I was just playing, really. But when people began to inquire, asking and wanting me to write the book, I just started writing in my iPhone different tips you can use to stack up bread. Then I met a girl who was a publisher, so I told her what it was and we put it together. We made it happen.”

The 47-page e-book offers an entertaining prospective into the mind of an independent artist who managed to carve out his own very comfortable financial niche amongst hip-hop’s fiscal elite. The self-proclaimed Black Suze Orman offers sound financial advice in the humorous tone fans have come to recognize via Thugga’s lyrical wordplay and retweetable Twitter commentaries.

“I watch the Suze Orman Show,” Slim told RapFix. “That’s part of the reason I’m cheap. You’ll see regular 9 to 5 people and they’ll be like, 'we have a million in this, $600, 000 in that and this amount of liquid' and they just going to work every day. And I’m like, hold up, man, what are we doing wrong? How regular people gettin’ all this? It just opened my eyes and I started watching the show more and more and I learned. I always been cheap, but it made me more up on game and aware of what’s going on around me.”

For instance, Slim Orman advises one to never have Bentley bills with a Benz salary: "This goes back to one of the most basic rules; don’t live beyond your means. Don’t buy a big house when you don’t make big money. I always say if you can’t buy it THREE times over, you can’t afford it. Don’t drive a Bentley on a Benz income."

That’s great in theory, but what about the Bentley, diamond encrusted grills and timepieces you own, Thugga?

“The things I spend money on are things I can get money back from,” Slim explained. “I had Bentleys, but most of the time, when I sold them, I got back what I paid for it. All of my peers done came out and came down, disappeared or whatever, but I’m still around doing me. I never went platinum, didn’t sell as many records as nobody else, but I’m still on my fifth Bentley and shit like that. It’s just being smart about it. I always been pretty much on point with money.”

Unlike Suze Orman, Slim doesn’t aspire to have his own TV show doling out fiscal responsibility, but he does hope the book will wake up a financially cavalier community hell bent on spending money with the same velocity as water bursting from a dam.

“I’m sick of this cycle,” Slim told RapFix. “We always at the bottom as black people. And it’s because of ‘what’s cool.’ Making it rain? That’s stupid. We always got something stupid moneywise that people think is cool. Pop a hundred bottles? For what? How many bottles it take to get drunk? I know where I came from and I know I can go back. But I ain’t going back.”

Listen to Slim Thug the author and you won’t go back, either.

Purchase your copy of "How to Survive in a Recession" here: www.bosshoggoutlawz.com.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/07/24/slim-thug-how-to-survive-in-a-recession-ebook-tips/]View the full article[/url]