What filesharing program is good?

Chiana

It all really depends on what you're looking for, what you're willing to learn, and what risks you're willing to take.

http://www.slyck.com has information and/or guides set up for almost every client on every network, and also other file resources, like IRC and Newsgroups/Usenet.

Let me give you my low-down/opinions on the clients/networks.

Ok, the most popular network, if not the most legally volatile, and polluted network, is fasttrack. Any file type can be shared, and the network has nice speeds. There is hashing, but only a certain percentage of the file is hashed. Clients for the network include Kazaa (I recommend you don't use the official Kazaa, and that you instead use http://www.kceasy.com - KCeasy version 0.11 and earlier, or put the fasttrack .dll plug-in in your gIFT plug-in folder), Grokster (which I don't recommend because it comes with crapware, and is nothing special), and iMesh (which basically has preference for other iMesh users, but still accesses the fasttrack network. Again, I recommend iMesh Light, as iMesh comes with crapware). Updated Kazaa Lite versions and spinoffs are also available, though I know nothing about them. This network suffers from fake files, implanted by media sentinels, and plenty of viruses (most notably in exe and archive files).

Next up, is the eDonkey 2000 network. This network is known for less than good speeds, a slight slight learning curve (when dealing from behind a router, and other connection issues), and good solid hashing, etc. Clients include the eDonkey client, eMule, eMule Plus, xMule, aMule, Shareaza, and others. Bottom line, choose a program you like, use ed2k link-sites, as traditional searching of the network isn’t effective, and be patient. It can take hours, days, weeks, and sometimes months to finish files, based upon conditions, but can be worth it, as the quality and types of files on the networks are superb. This network is known as a network for big files, like software and movies.

Next is BitTorrent. First off, you don’t search a network, you download hash links that are used to get what you want. This is only good for a certain period of time. What happens first is someone makes a “torrent” or thing(s) they wish to share. A torrent file (which is like a hash link) is uploaded to a “tracker”. The tracker keeps track of hosts participating in the torrent, and other things. You download a torrent file from the tracker website, or another site linking to it, you use a BitTorrent client to open it, and the Torrent file contains information about the Torrent, tracker information, etc… Then you get connected to the tracker which provides you with information on connecting to other hosts, which can be seeders, or clients who are also downloading the file too. You download and upload the Torrent with others, and you then have the file in your possession. At this point, it’s advised to be a good BitTorrent citizen, and keep sharing the torrent with others. You are technically a seed for the file now, though you may not be listed to others and the tracker as one. Certain clients let you be recognized as a seed, if you so choose, or may even automatically list you as one. Now, the reason it’s only good for a certain period of time is inevitably, people stop participating or seeding the torrent, and move on to something else. When this happens, you can’t get the torrent (or pieces of it) anymore. Despite this, it’s one of the most popular P2P methods right now, and I recommend it. Besides, most Torrent sites keep up-to-date, so you’re bound to have seeds or people with completed copies. My description of the BT process might be flawed in some way, but it's at least a general gist of things. It's also fair to point out that BitTorrent offers nothing in the way of obscurity or security as far as legal trouble. It's as open as can be, and it's growing populartity has gotten increasing attention from the "industry".

Overnet was developed as a decentralized solution for eDonkey2000 users. Ed2k hash links can be used with it. I don’t use it, so I can’t tell you much more, but it's similar to the Ed2k network. Connection issues are similar, and it's geared towards big files.

SoulSeek is a centralized file sharing method, that’s geared towards certain musical interests. It has a strong following. Someone like Method77 could describe it better, as I don’t use it.

The MP2P network is a music only network (MP3 and OGG supported). Clients include Blubster, Piolet, and RockItNet. This is a very nice network, but the clients for it, in my opinion, are a bit buggy, and difficult to get working. Connection problems will plague you, especially if you have a router, and need to forward ports. TCP and UDP are used, so make sure you forward accordingly.

Direct Connect is a very special place to trade files. It’s largely a non-multisourcing and non-hashing environment (this has changed somewhat, with the release of reverse connect, and others). People run Direct Connect “hubs”, which are central servers you connect to. Often times, these hubs are geared towards specific interests. DC hubs are known to be very strict and expect a lot. Lots of times, you must have a very large share of files in order to gain access to specific hubs. When you connect to the hub, make sure you follow the rules presented to you. If you don’t, you can, and quite often will be kicked/banned from the hub. The hub operator(s) make the rules, it’s his/her/their server, and you must follow them. Most hub ops are good people like you and me, and are reasonable. So follow the rules, and happy sharing. It’s important to point out, and in my opinion, that the quality of files on most DC hubs is high. You won’t find the fakes, and viruses, associated with fasttrack, etc. This is due largely to the community oriented approach. Nobody with a fake file or virus will be allowed to stay on a hub for long, before they are banned. Clients for this network are given in great detail at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6513. The most popular, in my opinion is DC++ or the regular Neo Modus Direct Connect client.

Ahhh, Gnutella. I don’t like Gnutella, and can’t really say anything good about it. Bland assortment of regular files. Some fakes, some viruses. Limited search horizon and speeds are average. Clients for this network are many. My favorites are Limewire (Aqualime, the free alternative), or Shareaza. Xolox has emerged with a new multinetwork client, which still includes Gnutella support, but the jury is still out on them.

G2 (Gnutella2) is Shareaza’s new network, which I believe is supposed to be a step (or several) up on the Gnutella network. Lot’s of critics also call it “Mikes Protocol, or MP”, because of a long-lasting feud with certain members of the Gnutella community that didn’t like his delay of releasing source code and information regarding G2 as he participated in the GNU process, and for his perceived hi-jack of the Gnutella name of Gnutella2. I yawn at this feud and both Gnutella and G2. They don’t seem to offer me much, and I don’t use them. Clients include Shareaza, Morpheus, Xolox, and others…

I personally use the newsgroups. Information on this can be found at http://www.slyck.com/ng.php and http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5994.

I also use IRC (Internet Relay Chat) for file sharing needs. Information can be found http://www.slyck.com/irc.php and http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3959.

I use Ares a lot.

www.softgap.com

I have to say, I've decided to make the permanent move to them as well.

I've never had a problem getting stuff off fasttrack, although I realize a lot of people do. The main reason I don't care for it anymore is directly tied to my upload/download ratio. While in Fasttrack I only average about 10 songs in a day uploaded, I've upped 14 in the last hour on ares. [edit - 15- one more as I typed] I feel more like I'm offering stuff in return. Make sense?

DC has always been the worst for me. In all of the times I've ever tried I've only uploaded @ 2 gb. (ALL TIME) Some people up that much in a day. What am I, leperous? DC bastiches. :D

I live in Canada. I think it's only right I offer a bit.

BTW MR. RBD, if you can get ahold of me on ares, I'm still eager for BF's album and that concert.

post-90-1086200047.jpg

Thanks Method, though I was wondering if you could give some more insight into SoulSeek.

Though i've never used it, i've heard nothing but good things about it, from many members of the BeatKing community.

Chiana may want to investigate it further as well.

Soulseek first rule and most important: If you don't want trance, techno, electro, trip hop and that kind of music then soulseek is not the right app for you so you might as well stop reading the rest of the post. Soulseek mostly features that kind of music and most of the files in there are high quality files.

The client is very buggy but that's no problem for the hard-core users cause it's the only way to get those kinds of music. The server is also very unstable and sometimes is down for a day or two. It's also mono-sourced so that's another problem for the average user.

I repeat, that's no problem for me or any of the electro lovers cause it's the only way to get that (extremely rare) stuff.

The community is also very good (some call them cranky), providing the network with their own tracks and remixes. Nir (the creator) always answers to your PM if you have a problem.

My opinion is that it's the only music community left out there.

you can find other genres on soulseek that have a big following, you just have to find the right room and get on users lists. the best thing to do is find out from people here where to go for what you like.

Edited by desdemona

you can other genres on soulseek that have a big following, you just have to find the right room and get on users lists. the best thing to do is find out from people here where to go for what you like.

true, there is ways to get other stuff too (some people have request lists) but if you're gonna search in rooms then you might wanna use DC. Much more stable

• 5 months later...

Soulseek is pretty much my weapon of choice, and there is a deep dark secret--many of these hardcore techno dance eurotrash triphoppers have more than their fair share (get it? fair share! :lol:) of musical skeletons in the closet, like at least a few folders of big band jazz or Top 40 pop or "80's hair bands" or jam bands like Phish or Max Creek or the Dead mixed in with their techno files...

If its music, then someone on SoulSeek probably has a copy of it. Cool rare stuff, too.

Happy hunting!

Edited by CTC Command