Question:

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

Do any of the BeatKing members (besides me) listen to Rap or Hip-hop? and who is your favorite artist?

I have to say my favorite is Tupac, but my current favorite is Ludacris.

I do love hip hop.

Didnt like it at first though, as I found it too simple and repetitive.

But I discovered hip hop in 1998, and understood it had come a long way since run dmc and there was more to it than I though.

I used to listen to a radio show called rapattitude from the Montreal University's station. They were playing independent rap from new york and there was live freestyle battles and shit.

I went to so many shows that year! I found out there was so much going on in my city. Man that was pure underground hip hop, small shows.

I also went to dj shows : dmc finals, itf (x-ecutionners...)

And few bigger shows (Gang starr was awesome).

Anyway I do sometime listen to Eminem and shit but I think the best Hip hop bands are underground, some only releasing in 12inch ( o yeah I got also to discover those record store ... man so refreshing!

Among some local talent that are worth checking out - Shades of culture (have at least 2 cds out- anything is good except the song mindstate) Obscure disorder, grand master garner a.k.a Ghandi, Mizery (maybe hard to find). Oh and why not - Bran van 3000 as some hip hop.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly sample stuff. I'm more into the instrumental stuff than the poetry, and I like all kinds of funk. I listen to some Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog and Eminem and Tupak and NWA. Actually met Suge Knight not too long ago. I'd love to see what Quincy Jones could do with some of these folks. Do any of these bands have any extended instrumentals??

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...