You send it

Shawn

Yousendit

Not really p2p, but it allows people to send files up to 1 gb to another person's email. Rather than be put in the inbox, a message is sent to the guy to go retrieve the file from the usendit guys.

What's the good word? free

it could be free for a time... then just when enough of you become dependant on the service..... WHAM!! they slap a charge on it...

dont you just hate when that happens...

Guest .::BeatFactory::.
No way simple adverts can pay for this kind of bandwidth.

heh... maybe they were so bored and/or rich. They decide that they want to give away free bandwidth forever. :lol:

I may be off on this but I will give it a try. Let's say you have a music file. You want to umm, store it. You send it to a random or alternative email address. One that you know and control. Now you get a address to retrieve that file. What if you were to post that address on, say, a website. for someone to download the file? Would anyone that was able to click that link have access to the file? My guess is thata after it was downloaded, it would be gone, but it would be easily replaced. If this is easily shot down, please do so. I am still after my quest to find a method to store (music) files for free.

:psychofun:

Sorry DAIC, you made it sound like you have used it.

Excellent theory LOTD. You post the link on a website idea might have potential, depending on how it works, but the site promises more security than sending the file by e-mail, so surely not anyone can click the link?

I think it only holds it temporarily - and it requires the email address of who is picking it up. Me thinks...

Sorry DAIC, you made it sound like you have used it.

I have - I just didnt check out its commercial ramifications.

Due to overwhelming load, we have temporarily

disabled unlimited sharing of files less than 10MB.

They're already starting to "feel it".

It wont be long until they're gone, some sort of pay service, or there are so many restrictions, it's appeal wont hold anymore.

If anyone remembers a service back several years ago called "FilePool", this is very similar.

FilePool didn't last too long. I guess their advertisement could pay for all the bandwidth used.

YouSendIt is slow and unreliable. I can never seem to send a file bigger than 50 megabytes. The transfer always "times out" before it's finished. Due to the nature of YouSendIt file transfers, the uploads cannot be resumed (HTTP only).

If YouSendIt were to implement a way people could FTP upload their files, it would improve the service.

There is another service called DropLoad that is somewhat similar to YouSendIt. Dropload only allows 50 megabyte files at a time and only holds them for two days. It is more reliable than YouSendIt though.

you can store music files for free on your hard drive and yeah, it only holds files for a week

If this is directed at my post, I'd rather not host my own file due to dial-up, which many sharers aren't interested in leaving on. I am also not in a position to leave my comp on 24-7. But thanks for the input.

LMAO @ Ken's avatar. :rotfl:

:psychofun:

Here's a similar service with a 50MB limit. You have to get an account.

http://www2.dropload.com/

Have you used it? What do you think?

The service, in my opinon, is far better than YouSendIt.

It has more limitations, but the quality of connection to the server while uploading is much better.

Thank you! I will give it a try!