Tracked P2P FileSharing Programs

Chiana

Which and How many P2P Filesharing Programs are being track my the government and others for law sue? I heard Kazaa tracks people as users get there ip and gets the user. What other Programs are being tracked the same?

Take Method's advice.

The only "tracking" that is being done is the RIAA are discovering IP address on the FastTrack Network (Kazaa) and then are suing people based on that.

Keep using other (better) P2P services. The RIAA cannot sue us all, everywhere. ;)

Which and How many P2P Filesharing Programs are being track my the government and others for law sue? I heard Kazaa tracks people as users get there ip and gets the user. What other Programs are being tracked the same?

All networks, mainly by the trade groups and "Cyber Police" firms. Lawsuits have only been filed against people SHARING, if you dont want to get sued then just dont share mp3s unless you know for certain that its ok(like a independent artist who is profiled on some file sharing programs). There is plenty of things that you can share and is completely legal and safe to do which will still allow you to contribute to file sharing networks. So take a few deep breaths and calm down.

You have to understand what Sharing is and its really Publically hosting files on your computer to anyone on a specific network(that being the file sharing network). In everything you do online your IP address is used because it has to be, that is where your computer is on the internet and for you to recieve information from anything on the internet your IP address is needed. The only sure way to "hide" your ip address is to not use the internet, anyone claiming that their wonder program will hide your ip is probably full of crap and is making promises that they cannot guarentee.

The only sure way to "hide" your ip address is to not use the internet, anyone claiming that their wonder program will hide your ip is probably full of crap and is making promises that they cannot guarentee.

Anonymous P2P isn't here yet, so yes the claims probably are BS right now.

Through encryption IPs can be hidden, thus creating "anonymous" networks in theory.

The concepts behind the programs like Waste and Mute are the future of P2P.

If P2P doesn't start protecting its users from the wrath of the RIAA and other "big interest" groups worldwide, it will eventually be stuffed back into the underground from which it came. :change note:

Anonymous P2P isn't here yet, so yes the claims probably are BS right now.

Through encryption IPs can be hidden, thus creating "anonymous" networks in theory.

The concepts behind the programs like Waste and Mute are the future of P2P.

it will eventually be stuffed back into the underground from which it came.

Anonymous P2P i dont think is the future and i dont think is really needed.

Encryption does nothing because the problem isnt people intercepting traffic between two hosts, its that the other host is one of the trade groups bots.

The concepts behind waste is realistic, its decentralized small networks much like gnutella which it was created by the same group, this does have a future because its small and involves a small private networks between people to transfer files.

Its like ordering a pizza and telling them to deliver it to the blue house and expecting it to get there.

Mute on the other hand is just like any other "anonymous p2p" program to date, trying to implement a crowds type proxy idea into p2p, making guarentees that is safe, and promoting it before its finished and before any of the claims are true or not. It would be foolish to assume that Mute is secure or is even credible. The only real security that MUTE has right now is that its so small that its hasnt really gotten the attention of the trade groups.

P2P never came from the "underground," and was never a part of the underground. Your talking about something completely different.

P2P never came from the "underground," and was never a part of the underground. Your talking about something completely different.

Using the definition that P2P is the use of a program like Napster which people swap files in real-time, you are correct. That did not exist in the underground.

FTPs and IRC was the closest thing to P2P the "underground" had from my experience. It surely wasn't P2P though. FTPs were too often ratio and finding good IRC servers took a lot of time, if you found them at all.

Of course, who could forget the numerous mp3s on http webhosts. They're mostly gone now due to overexposure, but in the early days of web hosting, it was cool.

nothing is tracked. Keep using whatever you like

Wrong.

It is more than likely that all existing networks are being monitored to some degree.

The people doing the "monitoring" are ex-hackers, security experts, and others who DO know what they're doing.

When you share copyrighted material, you are taking a risk. You have to decide if you're willing to take that risk, and noone, including method, should lie to you, and tell you "everything is fine". That's not filesharing, thats filesharingdeception.

There is not enough to manpower or technology to "track" every file on every P2P network 24 hours a day.

And I never stated that. I stated all "networks".

It's a "chance" or a "risk".

If they monitored every file on the network 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, everyone capable of receving a lawsuit, would. Of course, this is not the case.

My comments are perfectly valid, and should be considered over "don't worry, just share".

Do you think I want to see people get sued, over a lack of undertstanding of the risk involved? If they choose to take the risk, that's fine.

They should not, however, be decieved, and take the risk under false reasons.

People in the U.S. have extra reason to worry.

It's called the Patriot Act. It could easily be (and might be already) abused.

This type of internet monitoring is just bad news for consumer privacy <_<

If the RIAA had their way, no one ever would have any sort of privacy on P2P networks.

Wait... judging by the lawsuits and the RIAA's crooked way of collecting IPs, privacy does not exist. Let's hope big business does not win the war against consumer freedoms.

and noone, including method, should lie to you, and tell you "everything is fine"
ok so everything is not fine. About 2-3000 have been tracked by the RIAA and none of those (except 2-3) have been actually charged. You call this tracking?

Yes, they can send out a few warnings to some kazaa members. If you get one then stop using it. It's that simple.

You call this tracking?

Severity is not a factor in the manner I’m speaking.

I said risk, I didn't say how much (because it's debatable).

You flat out said there was none at all.

In any event, people have had lawsuits filed against them, or have had to settle and pay large amounts of cash, at least in the U.S. and a few other locales. Also, people are being jailed too (i.e. France).

The whole point is

A. Don't be a piece of the male anatomy, and tell people what they should and should not do.

B. Don't lie.

Edited, per method77's request. Reason: He feels uncomfortable with certain "naughty" words.............either that or he has PMS. Either way, he'll pay on Tuesday.

Edited by Ken

Ken

I never told anyone what to do and I didn't lie about anything. I consider the networks safe cause I don't that a few warnings sent out by the RIAA means that networks are tracked.

I don't remember anybody being jailed though. In Italy they discussed about a law that would jail people if they shared many copyrighted material. It's not actually a law yet till the parliament votes yes and the EU agrees

I never told anyone what to do

That's true, but you did shout the cliche P2P mantra about sharing, as though you were ready to label him/her with something undesirable, like "leecher".

And you're right, safety is a matter of perspective, but reality is in the proof, and the proof is against you.

There was an article about French file sharers being jailed. I'll try to go dig it up.

Thanks for clearing that up a bit more Method.

As it is, the Slyck linked story was translated a bit roughly.

Also, even though he didn't get jail time, it still highlights the fact that they have punishment in place that gives people jail-time, and that includes file "sharers", under the new laws/rules.