Help Please

Cerebral_Assassin

Okay, I have this file in my Windows Temp folder that will not go away, I have tried Webroots Window Washer, Ad-Aware, Toni Arts Easy Cleaner and right click delete but it just won't go away. The file is "ZLT054d0", I have tried google.com, alltheweb.com and others and no listings or anything come up for this file. Does anyone know what it is and how I can get rid of it. It don't seem to be harming anything it's just annoying knowing it's there. Do you think I can delete if I go into Safe Mode?

Seems to have the same pattern as a Temp folder. Have you tried going into Command Prompt and deleting it? Sometimes that works. I don't think Safe Mode would change much. Ultimately, if it's not doing anything, maybe just ignore it. No harm, no foul. JMO

:psychofun:

No matter what, when I try to delete it the box pops up that says..........

Cannot delete ZLT054d0 : Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected

and that the file is not currently in use.

I have ZoneAlarm running, could it be a file in connection with that?

Try rebooting the computer and then try deleting the temp file (if it exists then).

Usually temporary files like that are created by some installer or program that Windows never quite finishes up with.

As I said, I'd try rebooting and see what happens.

I'm not suggesting you do this actually, I don't know what windows you have, I have 98 so I can't, but if you have ME or XP this might help, I found out that some suspicious files that are detected on your anti-virus keep getting deleted and then come back because there's another matching file in your backup, if you have the editions I mentioned and you go to "my computer", properties, performance, you'll see where you can disable the backup while you delete the file or run your scan again, you just have to remember to go back and enable again. don't know if that will help but just thought I'd mention it. :D

ok, same thing here assassin, the same thing happened to me, it was a temp file in the windows folder, kept coming up on my anti-virus, just make sure your anti-virus is updated, mine has been updating daily, because eventually it stopped right before I thought I might have to look at some sites for an answer. I was running adaware too so that didn't catch it, cuz adaware hardly ever updates.

perhaps that file is actually used by a program. It will delete in safe mode but if the file is needed then it will pop up again. As long as an updated AV doesn't say it's a virus then it's nothing

yeah it's being used by a program method, internet explorer! sheesh, I think this has been a subject on the symantec site, they give details on how to remove it.