Need MP3 Player Advice

Mr. Crowley

I've been looking into getting a 40GB MP3 jukebox, and I need some advice on which is the best. I'm not going to get an Ipod. They are too expensive. If I can't get a descent one for a good price, I'll wait. I've read reviews on the Zen Xtra and RCA Lyra, but haven't been able to come to any conclusions. I read that the cover pops of the Zen easily, and the headphone jack often quits working. I've also read that many of these produce bad sound when used with the car adapter kit, and that is probably what I'll use it for most. Does anyone have any experience with these or others that are in the same price range($200-$300)?

I was wondering who he was asking also. Anyway, here are some specs on the iRiver that was discussed in the other thread.

-Box Contents, Backlit remote control with 4-line display, iRiver earphones, Carrying case, Installation software CD, AC adapter, USB 2.0 cable, Line-in cable, External microphone. Printed user manual

-Plays over 1200 hours of digital music

-Up to 16 hours of battery life

-Supports MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV and OGG music files

-Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers (up to 40 times faster than USB 1.0)

-Integrated FM tuner

-Backlit remote control with 4-line display

-Built-in voice recorder

-Intuitive music navigation

-Real-time MP3 encoding (no PC required)

-40GB of internal storage

-Store or transfer files of any type

-Extra-large, 8-line, backlit LCD

-Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery

-Optical input and output

-Upgradeable to future formats and features

-1 Year Warranty

-Pictures are for illustration purposes only.

I've been doing a lot of reading on these players over the last few days, and have read reviews for the iriver, ipod, creative, samsung, dell, gateway, rio, rca, archos, philips, and several others. I've com to the conclusion that the only two really good ones are the iPod and iRiver. They are also the most expensive. The iRiver is less expensive and has reviews every bit as good as the iPod if not better. The best price I've come across for the iRiver 40GB player is $379.95 here: http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?r...001871#moreinfo. That is more than I wanted to pay for one, but I'll probably end up getting it anyway. My main concern is how well it will work with the car cassette adapter. It seems that many players of this type produce bad sound quality when used with the adapter. If anyone here has the iRiver and has used it with the adapter, let me know how it works.

If anyone here has the iRiver and has used it with the adapter, let me know how it works.

You should PM Pablo for more details...he's a member