Nas Explains Canceled African Concert, Promoter Being Kidnapped

NelsonG

By Rob Markman with reporting by Sway Calloway

Early in January Nas made headlines when a concert promoter claimed that the Queens rapper skipped out on a scheduled show in Angola, Africa which led to the promoter and his son being kidnapped. The notoriously reserved MC declined to comment on the reports at the time, but during this Wednesday's episode of "RapFix Live"--which will be streamed at 4p.m. ET on MTV.com-- he finally explained his side of the story

The promoter was returned home safely to New Jersey on February 19. TMZ broke the story January 3 and reported that Patrick Allocco and his son, whom he works with, were kidnapped by local Africa promoter Henrique "Riquhino" Miguel after Nas and an opening act failed to perform at a New Year's Eve concert in Angola.

Allocco's reps told TMZ that Nas and opening act Jemiah Jai were paid to perform two shows but failed to board their flights. Once Miguel realized that Nas wasn't going to perform, he sent his people to take Allocco and his son into custody at gunpoint. Nas eventually returned the $300,000 that was paid to him, and Allocco was released and allowed to return back to the U.S.

Now, Esco is ready to open up.

"Basically he was a promoter that I never worked with, and he wanted me to come to Africa for New Year's, which, for me, I thought, would be the best way to spend New Year's. The business wasn't handled. There was nothing sent to me, and there were no flights," he said. "By the time he did send money — he did eventually send money to me — but it was too late to go. I didn't even have a visa to get in the country. So that's canceled, the show's canceled."

Allocco, who is now contemplating litigation, has a differing account, contending that everything was in place for Nas to travel to Africa. "Nothing could be further from the truth," Allocco told MTV News of Nas' version of the story. "Nas put us in harm's way by not showing up and put my son and I at physical harm and at risk by his inaction to fly to Angola."

"That was just all wrong. Any time I'm supposed to go to Africa, it happens," Nas said on "RapFix Live." "When people take care of business, it happens. ... You booked the flight but no return flight. I didn't have a visa, and you didn't send money till after I was supposed to jump on the plane to another country, and that's just the way it went down."

Catch Nas, Killer Mike, Bun B and Prodigy on a special episode of"RapFix Live" today at 4 p.m. ET on MTV.com, when all four esteemed lyricists will address the tragic shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin and more. Send your comments and thoughts on the unfortunate situation via Twitter using the hashtag #RapFixLive.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/03/28/nas-canceled-african-concert-promoter-kidnappin/]View the full article[/url]