Mannie Fresh And G.O.O.D. Music Aim To Make 'Something Great'

NelsonG

By Rob Markman, with reporting Nadeska Alexis

There is already an array a big time rap names pitching in for Kanye West’s upcoming G.O.O.D. Music compilation album, so when Yeezy turned to former Cash Money producer Mannie Fresh to contribute, you’d have to figure it wasn’t out of necessity. MTV News caught up with the iconic hitmaker to talk about his work alongside Kanye and company.

"The cool thing about G.O.O.D. Music is it's a bunch of great ideas and I'm one of those ideas," he said on Thursday at the South by Southwest festival. "[Kanye's] trying to find the most talented producers, most talented artists, put 'em all in a room and say, 'Go for it. Y'all energy, like whatever is creative to y'all.' "

It all sounds pretty organic. "I just kinda went to the Watch the Throne concert. Word got back that I was in there and we linked up from there," Fresh said about his and Kanye's initial meeting. "Next thing you know, I was at his crib playing beats, [and] he was just like, 'Dude I like mostly everything you played. Sign right here.' "

It's still unclear whether Fresh has actually signed on with G.O.O.D. Music, but he has clearly been putting in a lot of work with the team, which includes Yeezy, Big Sean, Pusha T and producer Hit-Boy. "The cool thing is, in hip-hop history, when have we ever got along? It's a cool thing that we're sitting at the table, all of us get along on one accord trying to make something great — G.O.O.D. Music," Fresh said.

Much of the G.O.O.D. Music album is still shrouded in mystery. We know the crew has been recording in London, but beyond that there hasn't been any information regarding an official album title or singles. "It's pretty close, I would say it's pretty close," Mannie said about the LP's expected completion date. "Songs phenomenal, everything. It's an album that's all over the place, it's not just one thing. It's not just that you're gonna hear some Southern hip-hop or whatever. You're gonna hear everything."

What are your expectations for the upcoming G.O.O.D. Music album? Tell us in the comments!

SXSW is under way in Austin, Texas, and MTV News has you covered with all of the action. From the Woodies on March 15 to behind-the-scenes scoop on festival showcases from Lil Wayne, T.I., 50 Cent and many more, stick with us for unprecedented access!

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/03/16/mannie-fresh-and-good-music-aim-to-make-something-great/]View the full article[/url]