Iggy Azalea Apologizes For Controversial Lyrics

NelsonG

By Nicole Rosado

Iggy Azalea officially inked a deal with Interscope Records in January and last month she confirmed that she’s been added to T.I.’s roster at Grand Hustle. This week Azalea apologized for using a line in her song “D.R.U.G.S." which refers to herself as a “runaway slave master.” The Australian born rapper penned a letter to fans, writing, “In all fairness, it was a tacky and careless thing to say and if you are offended, I am sorry.”

Azealia Banks Blasts T.I. For Defending Iggy Azalea

“Sometimes we get so caught up in our art and creating or trying to push boundaries, we don’t stop to think how others may be hurt by it,” she continued. “In this situation, I am guilty of doing that and I regret not thinking things through more.”

Azalea says the line was inspired by Kendrick Lamar’s “Look Out for Detox” in which she played on the line, “when the relay starts, I’m a runaway slave.” Azalea denies that she is racist in any way and believes that no matter what color you are, you should get a fair shot at what you want to do. “I don’t hate any race of people, and it pains me to wake up to other young people being misled to believe I do,” she said.

After dropping her first mixtape Ignorant Art this past fall, Azalea plans on releasing her debut album The New Classic in June, for which T.I. will serve as the executive producer. It’s set to be an eventful year for the Grand Hustle team.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/03/12/iggy-azalea-apologizes-controversial-lyric/]View the full article[/url]