Da Vinci Code

moonglow

just read the Da Vinci Code.....some startling things there......What do you think? I think its a really good thing to delve into........any opinions?

post-59-1086122802.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's the kind of book that is impossible to put down. Weeks after you read it, the book is still so prominent in your thoughts. It has been a longtime since I have read a book that has affected me so and I love to read. I truly recommend it. :)

Here's a compendium of reviews from Powell's Books online:

Powell's Staff Recommends:

Enjoy a great thriller? You will love this relentlessly paced tale. It's full of fascinating historical details about western art, the mystery of the grail, and hidden codes. You won't be able to put it down but you'll want to look up secret societies from the Knights Templar to Opus Dei. Sound far-fetched? Well, FBI traitor Robert Hanson was a member of Opus Dei. Hmmmmmm!! Recommended by Kathi Kirby

Publisher Comments:

Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call while on business in Paris. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found murdered inside the museum, his body surrounded by a series of bizarre ciphers scribbled in invisible ink. As Langdon and a gifted young French crvptologist, Sophie Neveu, attempt to make sense of the chilling clues left around the body, they are stunned to realize the riddles are connected to the works of Da Vinci and may be linked to a mystery that stretches deep into the history of the Catholic Church.

Langdon learns the late curator was the gatekeeper of the Priory of Sion — an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci — and has sacrificed his life to protect the Priory's most sacred trust: the location of a vastly important religious relic hidden for centuries. It appears that Opus Dei, a clandestine, malevolent, Vatican-sanctioned religious sect that has long plotted to seize the Priory's secret, has now made its move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can crack the Da Vinci code and quickly assemble the pieces of the puzzle, the Priory's secret — and a stunning historical truth — will be lost forever.

In an exhilarating blend of scholarly intelligence, relentless adventure, and cutting wit, Robert Langdon (first introduced in Dan Brown's Angels Demons) is the most original detective to appear in years. Combining the punch of Robert Ludlum, the intriguing historical touch of Umberto Eco, and the nonstop suspense of Michael Crichton, The Da Vinci Code is a rocket ride of an intelligent thriller.

Review:

"[A] this gleefully erudite suspense novel....Not since the advent of Harry Potter has an author so flagrantly delighted in leading readers on a breathless chase and coaxing them through hoops." Janet Maslin, The New York Times

Review:

"[A]n exhaustively researched page-turner....Brown has assembled a whopper of a plot that will please both conspiracy buffs and thriller addicts." Publishers Weekly

Review:

"Dan Brown's novel is an ingenious mixture of paranoid thriller, art history lesson, chase story, religious symbology lecture and anti-clerical screed, and it's the most fun you can have between the sort of covers that aren't 300-count Egyptian cotton....Brown, for all the facts he throws around, operates squarely in the territory of the pop bestseller....Brown appears to be the kind of writer who hits on a snazzy gimmick and then mines it for all it's worth. And it's one hell of a gimmick....As a character, Langdon doesn't exist as a great deal more than a fount of information....And [brown] falls into the danger that always awaits a thriller writer so adept at twists, by supplying so many last-minute surprises he nearly twists the plot into total implausibility. Finally, though, neither Brown's failure of nerve nor the slight defects of craft are enough to ruin the pleasure of this hugely entertaining book." Charles Taylor, Salon.com

Review:

"Brown solidifies his reputation as one of the most skilled thriller writers on the planet with his best book yet, a compelling blend of history and page-turning suspense." Library Journal

Review:

"The Da Vinci Code mixes page-turning suspense with art history, architecture and religious history." Ayesha Court, USA Today

Anybody see the movie Pi?  Is it that concept?

i love the film Pi, watched it last week actually. on the other hand, my BF can't handle the trepanning scenes...i wonder why? :lol: