Which One's Pink?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which One's Pink?

• Nick Mason
    • Rick Wright
    • David Gilmour
    • Roger Waters
    • Syd Barret

:P I LOVE PINK FLOYD, my ultimate music, even todays recordings, but I must admit..........my favorite is the old stuff. I really am devoted to Meddle and Wish You Were Here.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway back to Wall... if u take the character Pink and his childhood to adolesence (sp) years... it majorly reflects Roger's childhood... and the later half of the album had, I agree some glimses of Syd's character... but it again reflected majorly that alienation been the band and the audience that Roger felt was existing during all those years of touring!

I was gonna write almost this same exact thing here but then decided to read through the whole thread and found this.

the early life of Pink in The Wall (along with basically the entire album The Final Cut and so much more Im sure) is definetely based on much of Waters childhood- the most poignant scene that comes instantly to my mind is the one in which Pink is in a garden- with his mother I believe- while shots of a bomb falling on his father are spliced in. This is surely a cinemazation of events in Waters' childhood as his father died in much the same way during WWII.

and I have no proof of it but I also always believed that the mental and emotional deterioration of Pink was largely inspired by the madcap's (barrett that is, not beatking's!) own destructive spiral before and probably after his being made to leave the band.

of course, Pink probably could also probably be viewed in a more symbolical context as well in that the character could be a kind of reverse archetype- a combination of the worst- and the best perhaps- traits in each of the band members.

in truth though, in my opinion, everything Ive said is neither here nor there and largely done because it just feels good to actually write something again. Im more of the opinion that there's really just a lil bit of Pink in all of us.

guess I got my two cents in a little too late in the debate! :P

it's never too late gorphon :D

'Which one's Pink?' comes from the song Have a Cigar on Wish You Were Here. While the character Pink, on the Wall, was doubtlessly a development from the idea, the question 'Which one's Pink?' still stems from the clueless recording industry dude behind the smarmy narrative in Have a Cigar. Interesting too that they used a non Pink voice (Roy Harper) to do the vocals for this track.

So, therefore, no-one is Pink... :bigsmile:

Have a Cigar

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. you?re gonna go far, fly high,

You?re never gonna die, you?re gonna make it if you try;they?re gonna love you.

Well I?ve always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely.

The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. oh by the way,

Which one?s pink?

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy, we call it riding the

Gravy train.

We?re just knocked out. we heard about the sell out. you gotta get an

Album out,

You owe it to the people. we?re so happy we can hardly count.

Everybody else is just green, have you seen the chart?

It?s a helluva start, it could be made into a monster if we all pull together

As a team.

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy, we call it riding the

Gravy train.

cool, thanks for the info umma. wish you were here is one of my favorite post barrett albums (the others being meddle, the final cut, dark side, animals, etc. -well you get the idea) and have a cigar always had a special place in my heart.

I guess I didnt realize that the question "which one's pink/" was referring back to have a cigar as I thought everyone in the thread was debating pink as barrett or waters (for the most part) as well as the wall's place in it.

sorry for the mixup!

there's no mix up either gorphon.... do your stuff !!

the poll is just a bit of fun to see who prefers who.

I think nate's got it right..... the pig is pink :lol:

and of course Roger Waters is accredited for the original pig concept on the Pulse video.... so he must therefore be pink by default :bigsmile:

:rofl: Of course Roger is by default Pink :) I had a girl ask me back in 1987 why I loved Pink Floyd and who exactly in the group was Pink, I looked at her and unfortunately (or fortunately) I just laughed :lol: She had just won tickets to a Madonna concert and I couldn't find it in myself to try and explain to her what there was about Pink Floyd that made me react that way :)

This was the answer a gentleman gave in a post I read in a forum elsewhere........

"Well, I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts will say that Roger Waters is Pink Floyd. However, I'm not a Floyd Democrat (Gilmour) or a Floyd Republican (Roger Waters), so I'd have to say Pink Floyd is Syd Barrett. Where did the name come from? Syd Barrett gathered the name from old album covers by Pinkney Anderson and Floyd Council. Barrett was the main singer and songwriter of the original Floyd (even though it was a short tenure). And a lot of the music of Pink Floyd was a look into the life of Syd Barrett and his madness. Then came the possessive nature of Waters and he wanted the name, and the control all to himself. This ended in a heated court battle, and the name was now in the hands of Gilmour, Mason, and the formerly kicked-out member Wright. During the late eighties (more specifically in the year '87), Waters argued childishly to the press that Pink Floyd is really him because he came up with most of the creative ideas of Floyd. I do admit that Waters was the genius to the most progressive and intellectually stimulating years of Floyd, but he is by no means Pink Floyd. I believe that Pink Floyd is basically a fictional character based on the lives of the members of the band, the drug culture, and the most important losses in their lives".

I think he may be right.

I think that the confusion here comes from the fact that Waters developed the concept for the character "Pink". therefore, its logical for many to assume that he himself IS Pink when in fact Pink is certainly an amalgamation of characteristics of all the band members- but specifically of waters and barett.

• 1 year later...
Pink Floyd is really everyones talents combined. I voted Gilmour, but Rogers is equally important.

I agree. Welcome to BK