Oral sex lessons to cut rates of teenage pregnancy

Umma

the flip side.....

Teens told a silver ring and a vow of chastity are best way to combat sexual epidemic

Patrick Barkham

Monday May 10, 2004

The Guardian

Worried that their children are bombarded with words, clothes and pictures that "talk dirty", six mothers are plotting a revolution against a society seen to be saturated with sex. The women, two Britons and four American expats, from Surrey, will next month launch a very American solution to the "sexual epidemic" afflicting the nation's teens - a silver ring and a vow of chastity.

They were inspired by the success of Silver Ring Thing in the US, a Christian movement that has encouraged 17,000 young people to take a pledge of abstinence until marriage.

Denny Pattyn, the charismatic leader of the US organisation, is visiting Britain this week to help launch Silver Ring Thing's UK wing. The mothers and their backers will go to seven cities in Britain and Ireland presenting a series of free events in June and July, offering pledges and selling silver rings for £10 apiece.

Read the rest

Joy of sex education

America's virgin soldiers are on their way - ignoring the dangers of abstinence for teenagers

George Monbiot

Tuesday May 11, 2004

The Guardian

The flame of sexual liberation may soon have to be kept alive by us geriatric delinquents. A US evangelical group has announced that next month it will be recruiting British teenagers to its campaign against sex before marriage. In the States, more than a million have taken the pledge. "Great Britain," the organiser insists, "is fascinated with the idea of sexual abstinence." In my day such a fellow would have been horsewhipped. Yet young people are flocking to him. Is there no end to the depravity of today's youth?

Not if the US government can help it. The abstinence campaign that hopes to corrupt the morals of our once proud nation - a group called the Silver Ring Thing - has so far received $700,000 from George Bush, as part of his campaign to replace sex education with Victorian values. This year he doubled the federal budget for virginity training, to $270m. In terms of participation, his programme is working. In every other respect it's a catastrophe.

Read the rest here

regardless of whatever it says...we need some change in the education.

Not a new revelation...but the scariest thing happened last night...while up late with my study group studying for my physiology final we were going over the female reproductive system, and I was the only one who knew it...out of three guys and two girls none of them could tell me what happens during pregnancy!! Now maybe that's just more of a lack of motivation in the class, but i'm pretty sure everyone should know what's going...I thought they explained that to everyone in fifth grade (at least they did for me)

But it was crazy...teaching girls about pregnancy/hormonal responses they're bodies have...i felt...weird

and if you don't want to encourage hard core oral sex lessons maybe you could just have kids listen to Dr. Drew and Adam on Loveline. I know I listened every night on high school, and because of it you learn the truths about all the myths surrounding sex, drugs, abuse, etc...

we were going over the female reproductive system.. ...teaching girls about responses their bodies have...i felt...

i bet... :lol:

I can remember back in the 70's they gave us a copy of "the senuous woman" in health class, to educate us about sex, not to suggest oral sex as a preventative, there's plenty of preventive's out there I think that would work a whole lot better. lol But the trend has been lately in the states to have teenagers just entering their teens to take an abstency pledge. I know my daughter came home with one on a plastic card when she was in 8th grade. One thing it did do was stimulate alot of discussion, and hopefully she can evaluate the issue with more insight and thoughtfulness now. my thoughts are, if you put them on the pill before they're sexually active, they will become sexually active.

dunno why bush had to part w/700,000$...he should've gone the route of nancy reagan's 'just say no' programme cause that was so hugely successful. oh wait, that's what the abstinence pledges are about. just ignore me, fankoo. :lol:

I dunno...having grown up recently I can tell you that those cards mean crap...if your getting a little crazy are you going to stop and think "oh shit, my pledge!!!"...I think not. Actually I don't think, I know 'cause I see the shit happen every weekend here...uuugh.

Just read an interesting article in Salon.com: "Raging hormones. In a schizoid world of compulsory chastity and online orgies, how are teenage boys supposed to make sense of sex?" on Howard Schiffer's new book: "How to Be the Best Lover: A Guide for Teenage Boys." http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2004/05/1...boys/index.html

Must be odd for kids growing up in the carefree world of the Internet, while STDs and threat of AIDS resides in the real world. No wonder oral sex is in..

I dunno...having grown up recently I can tell you that those cards mean crap...if your getting a little crazy are you going to stop and think "oh shit, my pledge!!!"...I think not. Actually I don't think, I know 'cause I see the shit happen every weekend here...uuugh.

if you're referring to my post, i was being sarcastic.

I wonder if these places are a good place to pull?

It will be filled with females that are either A) not getting it and want to give their friends an excuse why, so don't mean it in the long term or B) recently had their hearts broken and don't mean it in the long term.

Must be odd for kids growing up in the carefree world of the Internet, while STDs and threat of AIDS resides in the real world. No wonder oral sex is in..

The only sure thing about oral sex is that it won't get anyone pregnant. It doesn't protect from STDs like herpes, gonorrhea, syphillis, HPV, AIDS, and other evil things though.

By the way, ever noticed that teen-pregnancy is an predominantly an Anglo-Saxon problem when we look at the developed world?

The only sure thing about oral sex is that it won't get anyone pregnant. It doesn't protect from STDs like herpes, gonorrhea, syphillis, HPV, AIDS, and other evil things though.

By the way, ever noticed that teen-pregnancy is an predominantly an Anglo-Saxon problem when we look at the developed world?

True, but somewhat safer. Do you have any statistics to post on the latter?