CDs and DVDs Not So Immortal After All

Dan Koster was unpacking some of his more than 2,000 CDs after a move when he noticed something strange. Some of the discs, which he always took good care of, wouldn't play properly.

Koster, a Web and graphic designer for Queens University of Charlotte, N.C., took one that was skipping pretty badly and held it up to the light.

"I was kind of shocked to see a constellation of pinpricks, little points where the light was coming through the aluminum layer," he says.

Read entire story here.

I was always curious about that. Seen a lot of tests and had a lot of discussions. How long do they last? Some say 10 some say 20 years. Noone can really say cause it's too early. We'll see in the future

I have the first CD's I bought in 1985.... and they still play perfectly.... some of the ones I bought in the 90's were less than lasting and went haywire with a few years.... shoddy manufacturing or a lot of wear and tear and it's going to need replaced.

I haven't checked mine. I rip them all and play cdr's. I thought they would last. Maybe not. I have all my tunes on 3 hard different drives in case of disaster. I ain't gonna buy that music again. :angry:

one would think, at least with the manufactured cd's one buys from the record store, that for 18 fucking dollars a pop the "shiny aluminum" side would have some kind of additional protection on it.

lets see the aluminim rot off my mp3's!

one would think, at least with the manufactured cd's one buys from the record store, that for 18 fucking dollars a pop the "shiny aluminum" side would have some kind of additional protection on it.

yeah, one would think but can we all say 'planned obsolescence?' it's what makes the commercial world go round. bah. :lol:

I once worked at a film archives--cd's and dvd's will not last a lifetime. The shelf-life is better than tape...but expect degradation over time.

I once worked at a film archives--cd's and dvd's will not last a lifetime. The shelf-life is better than tape...but expect degradation over time.

I hope you archived Moore's crap in the dumpster. The quality was non-existant so it couldn't degrade. :angry:

I hope you archived Moore's crap in the dumpster.  The quality was non-existant so it couldn't degrade. :angry:

The dumpster is already full with Chuckie 'Cheeze' Heston's films...

:lol: Dude.