Members deleting their own threads

Malicious Intent

It has been brought to my attention that members can't delete threads that they have started. At other forums, it is usual that threads can be deleted by the topic starter by deleting the first post.

It makes sense for those that realise they have posted something that has already been posted, or posted it in the wrong section etc.

So, can we have a set up were members can delete their own threads?

It has been brought to my attention that members can't delete threads that they have started. At other forums, it is usual that threads can be deleted by the topic starter by deleting the first post.

It makes sense for those that realise they have posted something that has already been posted, or posted it in the wrong section etc.

So, can we have a set up were members can delete their own threads?

geeze, i never noticed, but since you brought it up MI, you know me and you know what i have done to my posts at ZP....lol

but, all kidding aside......its a bad idea....UTC learned the hard way, along time ago, they had someone that was very popular, made alot of good posts and some damn good threads, well one day he got pissed off, and deleted all of his threads, which in turn hurt UTC.

so what i would suggest is that a member may delete his post within 3 days, after that , a mod would have to delete it!

it would be safer for this site that way!

but.....this is only a suggestion!

All mods have the power to merge duplicate threads. If someone has posted something they want deleted they could email any of the mods/admins for assistance--we usually take care of it quickly

And thanx, Janet, your suggestion is even better and more complete than mine

That is how this came about DAIC. I don't mind deleting threads for members, I just thought that it would be easier for the members if they could do it themselves.

I like Janetts idea. Or alternatively, it can be deleted if no one has replied.

If it is a lot of work to change, or just plain impossible, then fair enough. Otherwise it should be given some thought.

All mods have the power to merge duplicate threads. If someone has posted something they want deleted they could email any of the mods/admins for assistance--we usually take care of it quickly

And thanx, Janet, your suggestion is even better and more complete than mine

exactly

I agree that it should be left to mods and admin. Basic as it may be, it is something only deserving of these groups to administer. I think havoc would wreak if left to a non-mod. I would hate to see a 10-pager just up and disappear due to the creator's whim.

:psychofun:

As usual janet is right on the money, UTC lost many long term threads and it hurt many people with what happened. The thing to remember is that the member that did the deleting there was an admin at one time. It is a good idea to prevent this happening here by using the time frame janet suggested.

I'm totally against members deleting their threads. This is a family oriented site and if all the members deleted their threads, then all we'd have would be a bunch of Courtney Loves, Janet Jacksons and Super Bowl streakers. For decency's sake, keep your threads!

• 1 month later...

The problem with allowing members to delete threads is that it's not fair to the rest of the people who posted in the thread. Once other people post in a thread it is owned by the forum and not by the member who started it. It would be good if there were an option to allow members to delete threads which have zero replies. Can all posts except the first in a thread be deleted by members here?

I think that people should be allowed to delete threads that they created, because the number of times that someone goes on a deleteing spree and deletes everyone of their posts is extreemely rare cases. And i dont think its really worth disabling because a couple people out of many couldnt handle it maturely.

When it does happen more people are worried about their post count than the threads itself.

Especially on forums with vbulletin 3.0.0 where when people delete their posts or threads, they arent actually deleted, they are just not displayed to anyone who isnt a moderator. Inivisble mode isnt quite invisible either..

Maybe invisionboard has something smilar in its latest verison.

Can all posts except the first in a thread be deleted by members here?

I think the way we have it set up is that if you want to delete something you started, you can notify any one of the mods or admins (see your assistant at the top) and we can do it for you. We've had some requests to do this (the reasons varied--they decided to post something else, didnt have a pic to go with it, no link, or whatever) & to date we have accomodated everyone of those requests because the requests have come early on.

We havent had a request yet for a longer thread, but I think we decided we would look at it on a case to case basis--if something worthy was in the thread, we might keep it. Other than those few requests, to date we have only closed one thread, and that was for excessive swearing, which althought it was done in jest--buyt we didnt feel it was appropriate for the younger viewers, we notified everyone, and no one really objected when we deleted it.

We debated having it be a freeforall thread--but the posts werent even that funny. We tend to bend over backwards...

• 2 weeks later...

I dont like the idea of being able to delete a whole bunch of threads. It's not fair on people who have taken the time to make informative and interesting posts in those threads.

I still remember when krell got mad over at ZP and deleted about 1000 of his posts, including alot of threads. Hundreds of other posts dissapeared over night, and there were lots of pissed users.

Edited by grab_grab_the_haddock

I admit that the system can be abused, but it isn't like threads will disappear left, right and centre.

I like the idea that members can delete a thread which hasn't been responded to.

why?? cos it saves you the bother of having to do it for them?? :P