Download problems

Umma

I've been having problems on and off with downloading attachments in threads mp3's, zip files and bmp.... is anybody else having difficulty in getting stuff to download or is it just me... I dont have any problem elsewhere :(

I've tried different browers, different ISPs, and different computers.... all with the same result... Any suggestions how to fix it would be a great help.

download window comes up as normal to save it.... but it stalls after that and the thing just hangs..... it's almost as if it's denied access or something

mr. jip said the same thing--you gotta watch those boys :rolleyes: a good girl like you has to be careful in this house

I've narrowed it down to firewall but still cant figure it out.... I've put beatking in as a trusted site which I thought should over-ride any other settings that would block downloads.... and it still makes no odds.... this has obviously happened as a result of some of Nortons wonderful automatic updates... grrrrr

mr. jip said the same thing--you gotta watch those boys :rolleyes: a good girl like you has to be careful in this house

Well that's it.... no van for you jippy... and I hope your butterfly stitches fall off

Certainly, there must be some honorable man??? in this place that can help this damsel in distress???????????

it's really very strange.... unless the storage directory is on a third party server or something?? I'm baffled...

I've tried different browers, different ISPs, and different computers.... all with the same result

Well, if you've done this, your firewall can't be to blame, unless the same firewall and the same settings are present on all these machines.

First things first, trying shutting down your firewall. Test after that, see if you can download an attachment.

umma, I'm no expert, but I know from having norton on my computer, I do better without it, I have sygate personal firewall and f-prot anti-virus, not invasive programs and highly rated, I wouldn't be fearful of changing from norton, but I have 98, anyways, those were recommended by some computer geeks :)

I just did that Ken... and it's whizzing with firewall disabled.... no problem..... and yes.... same firewall on both machines.... same updates obviously so that's where the problem has started but I cant figure out what the problem is.... I hadnt changed any settings so it's something that's been part of the live update thing

Thanks for the recommends des... Norton is kinda heavy on resources anyway so a change might not be a bad idea when the subscription runs out...

Thanks for all the help.... I've stuck Zone Alarm on meantime (cos I already had it) and got shot of Norton...

so the downloads work without the firewall...

I also use sygate pro but I find it the easiest to configure. I've tried them all and zone alarm is the worst and hardest to configure.

AVG antivirus for me. The lightest and best you can get

Be careful if you decide to uninstall Zone Alarm.

Do a google search on how to "properly" and "completely" uninstall Zone Alarm.

At one time (i'm not sure if this is true anymore), if you disabled Zone Alarm, then uninstalled it, your internet connection would remain dead.